✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I grew up with my only church experience being Methodist, but at this point trying to find the way (don't know how to change denomination on profile). After doing some light studying, I have been drawn most to EOC. I just wanted to get some tips on where to start, I don't know too much about the differences between EOC and Protestantism. Of course, I plan to visit a church once the pandemic subsides. Thanks, and God bless you all.

Osmotik

Mar 29, 2020
Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have specific questions?

The best thing to do is, of course, to talk to a priest, but that's obviously a bit tricky to do in today's situation... email or phone are an option, too, though

Welcome to TAW!

Thanks :grinning: I need to study some and speak to a priest.

As of now, I'd just want to figure out general practices and the differences between Orthodoxy and Protestantism

Might be best for me to point out that while I went to church as a kid, I really don't know nearly enough about the teachings of the bible in depth

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks :grinning: I need to study some and speak to a priest.

As of now, I'd just want to figure out general practices and the differences between Orthodoxy and Protestantism

Might be best for me to point out that while I went to church as a kid, I really don't know nearly enough about the teachings of the bible in depth

I would say, from my personal experience as a former Protestant (Lutheran) who converted to Orthodoxy, some of the biggest differences for me were:
  • Monasticism
  • Saints
  • Prayer is more holistic (in the sense of having crosses, bows, prostrations, etc, instead just intellectual or vocal)

There are obviously other differences, but those are the initial ones that jump to mind when reflecting on my own experience

As for practices, daily prayer and the sacraments are the biggest things. A relationship with a priest or monk (a “spiritual father”) or nun (a “spiritual mother”) is important to help you discern what that looks like for your specific situation. How much should you pray, how much should you fast, etc.

What is it that is drawing you to orthodoxy, based on some of your studying?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Welcome.

I was Baptist (Southern Baptist by way of the Independent Baptist as a child) prior to my Chrismation into the Orthodox Church. I did spend about a year in a Methodist Church (it was close, two children in diapers).
I don't pretend to have all the answers but I can point in the right direction.
The current health crisis does present a challenge.

Is there an Orthodox parish near you?

Upvote 0

Osmotik

Mar 29, 2020
Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say, from my personal experience as a former Protestant (Lutheran) who converted to Orthodoxy, some of the biggest differences for me were:
  • Monasticism
  • Saints
  • Prayer is more holistic (in the sense of having crosses, bows, prostrations, etc, instead just intellectual or vocal)

There are obviously other differences, but those are the initial ones that jump to mind when reflecting on my own experience

As for practices, daily prayer and the sacraments are the biggest things. A relationship with a priest or monk (a “spiritual father”) or nun (a “spiritual mother”) is important to help you discern what that looks like for your specific situation. How much should you pray, how much should you fast, etc.

What is it that is drawing you to orthodoxy, based on some of your studying?

I am drawn to orthodoxy by its emphasis on tradition, the fact that it was the original church (from what i've read), that scripture is a part of tradition, man made, and can be misinterpreted. Where as many different Protestant churches form from their interpretation of the scripture. Also a big part is that our knowledge of God is mysterious, and that theoretically someone from outside the faith could find salvation (though not a good path to test). Sorry if I got something wrong, the internet has a lot of opinions

Upvote 0

Osmotik

Mar 29, 2020
Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome.

I was Baptist (Southern Baptist by way of the Independent Baptist as a child) prior to my Chrismation into the Orthodox Church. I did spend about a year in a Methodist Church (it was close, two children in diapers).
I don't pretend to have all the answers but I can point in the right direction.
The current health crisis does present a challenge.

Is there an Orthodox parish near you?

Not near me (im back home with parents) but near my college. I want to check them out when I get a chance

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW!

I had to smile - it was a visit to a “traditional” Methodist service that set me seeking Orthodoxy strongly.

It’s no substitute at all, but there are lots of streaming services right now since Churches are pretty much all closed. It’s so different from actually being there that I’m not sure it’s a good suggestion to watch them though. The Divine Liturgy is something to be experienced, and it doesn’t translate much at all through a screen, to me at least.

I hope you’ll stay around here. I think we are all missing our fellowship and community (the Church really IS a family) and you can surely get your questions answered as well.

Too bad as this is one of the best times of year to be looking into Orthodoxy with Holy Week on the horizon, but it’s doubtful we can participate this year. :(

It sounds like in general you are getting the correct understanding of the things that are drawing you (though I might be missing nuances, not feeling well at the moment). But I particularly appreciated some of the same things. :)

We are glad to have you join us. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Osmotik
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I grew up with my only church experience being Methodist, but at this point trying to find the way (don't know how to change denomination on profile). After doing some light studying, I have been drawn most to EOC. I just wanted to get some tips on where to start, I don't know too much about the differences between EOC and Protestantism. Of course, I plan to visit a church once the pandemic subsides. Thanks, and God bless you all.

Congratulations. God has called you. :)

Since we all have time to do some reading right now, this will help.

The Orthodox Faith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,025.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a series by Fr Andrew Stephen Damick called "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" which will give a good overview of the differences. It may come across a little polemical, as Fr Andrew freely admits it was written with an Orthodox audience in mind.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

I converted from Catholicism, but a lot of my ex-Lutheran-now-Orthodox friends have said that the general overall view of Scripture and the role of the clergy in the Church were big things for them. This particular family of six believed that Scripture is important, but there's more to theology than just the Bible. They also liked having a clear hierarchy, but not the idea of having a single pope running the show here on earth. We're organized a bit more like a federation I guess would be the word. This family left the ELCA after they recognized openly gay clergy and began to look elsewhere.

One thing I do recommend, is reading "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now a bishop in the UK). It serves as a good Orthodox 101 of sorts, and he does touch on comparisons with other traditions without being polemical about it.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,179,025.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One thing I do recommend, is reading "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now a bishop in the UK). It serves as a good Orthodox 101 of sorts, and he does touch on comparisons with other traditions without being polemical about it.
Available to read free online at the Intratext library.
Orthodox Church: text - IntraText CT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if you want a real simple, easy book, I suggest Becoming Orthodox by Fr Peter Gilquist. it basically chronicled his journey with a group of Evangelicals to Orthodoxy, and what they found as they started researching.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am drawn to orthodoxy by its emphasis on tradition, the fact that it was the original church (from what i've read), that scripture is a part of tradition, man made, and can be misinterpreted. Where as many different Protestant churches form from their interpretation of the scripture. Also a big part is that our knowledge of God is mysterious, and that theoretically someone from outside the faith could find salvation (though not a good path to test). Sorry if I got something wrong, the internet has a lot of opinions
gotcha that makes sense, and a lot of it sounds similar to some of my realizations. The role of the Church and Holy Tradition in interpreting Scripture was a big thing for me, even though I came from a church body that did recognize and honor the church fathers and their interpretations. Still, even coming from a fairly high-church traditional Lutheran background, Orthodoxy had a whole new paradigm of interpreting the Scriptures and the Church Fathers

Have you read any books so far, or just internet reading? I'd second the recommendations of The Orthodox Church (by Metropolitan Kallistos (Timothy Ware)) and Becoming Orthodox by Father Peter Gillquist. I've read them both and I agree with what has already been said about them in this thread

Upvote 0

Osmotik

Mar 29, 2020
Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
gotcha that makes sense, and a lot of it sounds similar to some of my realizations. The role of the Church and Holy Tradition in interpreting Scripture was a big thing for me, even though I came from a church body that did recognize and honor the church fathers and their interpretations. Still, even coming from a fairly high-church traditional Lutheran background, Orthodoxy had a whole new paradigm of interpreting the Scriptures and the Church Fathers

Have you read any books so far, or just internet reading? I'd second the recommendations of The Orthodox Church (by Metropolitan Kallistos (Timothy Ware)) and Becoming Orthodox by Father Peter Gillquist. I've read them both and I agree with what has already been said about them in this thread

Haven't read any books yet but considering the Covid situation I have more time to read up. I'll download those books

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0