• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dramatically freed from Gender Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does this intervention by God relate to the coming legal demands to outlaw 'conversion therapy' or any attempt to assist transition to original gender?

I am just highlighting that it looks like it will soon be illegal to assist in reversing gender confusion.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Strictly speaking, based on the article, it looks like the issue for Becket Cook was sexual orientation, not gender identity. He seems to be a cisgender man who identified as gay. I am glad he has found peace and meaning in his life.

God can intervene in people's lives in any way God chooses. Prayer is different from the techniques normally called "conversion therapy" (see Conversion therapy - Wikipedia for a description of some of the awful things people have tried, in an attempt to change people's sexual orientation).

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strictly speaking, based on the article, it looks like the issue for Becket Cook was sexual orientation, not gender identity. He seems to be a cisgender man who identified as gay. I am glad he has found peace and meaning in his life.

God can intervene in people's lives in any way God chooses. Prayer is different from the techniques normally called "conversion therapy" (see Conversion therapy - Wikipedia for a description of some of the awful things people have tried, in an attempt to change people's sexual orientation).

I guess my concern is that in making "conversion therapy" illegal genuine ministry will be outlawed as well.

By the way I am no expert in this area - can you give a quick word on the difference between sexual orientation and gender Identity.

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By the way I am no expert in this area - can you give a quick word on the difference between sexual orientation and gender Identity.

Sure. Sexual orientation is about who I am attracted to: men, women, or both. If I'm attracted exclusively to people of the opposite sex, I'm straight (heterosexual). If I'm attracted exclusively to people of my same sex, I'm gay (homosexual). If I'm attracted to both, I'm bisexual.

Gender identity is about whether I feel like a man or a woman inside. Whether I'm cisgender or transgender is about how well my gender identity fits the kind of body I live in. If my body is male and I feel like a man inside, or if my body is female and I feel like a woman inside, then I'm cisgender. If my body is male and I feel like a woman inside, or vice versa, then I'm transgender. People who don't feel either male or female inside are sometimes called nonbinary.

Thus, the two ideas are related -- they're both about gender and sexuality -- but they're two different concepts.

Note that none of this tells people how they should act; I've just described labels for how people feel. A person might, out of their religious convictions, decide to conform to assigned gender roles and forms of dress even if they're transgender, or marry a person of the opposite sex even if they're gay, as an act of obedience to their church's teachings. Most of us don't choose how we feel inside, but we do get to choose how we act.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why is this? should we not take our thoughts/feelings captive to the obedience of Christ.

Sexuality is complicated, and I don't know all the "why"s. I do know that it's rare for a person's sexual orientation to change as a result of prayer. For reasons known only to God, this is a prayer request that God does not usually grant.

Gender is also complicated. I can't tell you as much about the science or statistics here. I've studied gender roles and expectations for some years (especially with an eye to encouraging my female students), but gender identity and gender dysphoria are newer areas of study to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is this? should we not take our thoughts/feelings captive to the obedience of Christ.
Read the text. It says nothing about feelings.

2 Corinthians 10:5
We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the text. It says nothing about feelings.

2 Corinthians 10:5
We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ

Dave, I find that His authority is equally effective against bad thoughts and bad feelings. In fact some folks including myself are 'feeling thinkers' processing internally quite often by feel. So the demarkation you make to exclude feelings from what has to come under His obedience I am not comfortable with.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess I have the faith to pray and expect change in this area. Romans 14 says that folks have different levels of faith from God. Yesterday I met a guy with advanced prostrate cancer and asked to pray for him without hesitation. Not all have this faith. Although I personally believe praying for the sick is a matter of simple obedience.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed. Please read the MUST READ & General Information for SWS Statement of Purpose. It includes:

This forum is for members who want to stop a sexual activity or change a sexual orientation in some way. It is for those wishing to make a positive change in their lives because for one reason or another the choices that have been made are impacting negatively either physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually.
This thread is not started by a member asking for help. It is giving advice.

Also, per the Recovery guidelines:
Any posts dealing with, instructing or suggesting the need for spiritual warfare will be removed. Insinuating that members are possessed or that their Mental, Emotional or Physical health issues are caused by demonic or spiritual issues are not permitted. This includes the "devil is the whole problem" or "You need to get right with God" or "You do not have enough faith" type of statements would be examples of these types of posts. Linking to sites offline that address spiritual warfare are not permitted as well.

Some posts were removed from view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.