Dragons in the Bible. Do you believe they are real or a myth?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Job 39:10 (KJV) Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

A unicorn is simply an animal with one horn, but if you read it through the lense of the modern concept of a unicorn as a mythical animal that can fly or has magical powers, then you are not going to correctly understand what was being spoken about by the author.

I was talking about dragons and not unicorns. Anyways, are you saying that the Leviathan is not a fire breathing dragon?

Side Note:

Oh, and I believe unicorns are real but not by the modern day world's understanding on that word. Unicorn can mean any one horned animal. This was more likely a cattle like beast with one horn that is now extinct.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that they are real creatures. But I don't know if its like how we would envision a dragon.

It sounds like a dragon to me. There are also many legends of dragons through out even recent history, as well. So this backs up what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about dragons and not unicorns. Anyways, are you saying that the Leviathan is not a fire breathing dragon?

Side Note:

Oh, and I believe unicorns are real but not by the modern day world's understanding on that word. Unicorn can mean any one horned animal. This was more likely a cattle like beast with one horn that is now extinct.

Maybe in China

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because Job mentions the Leviathan it doesn't necessarily mean that it was some type of monster or dragon. Job probably lived in Canaan at roughly the same time as Jacob, and he could have been quoting Canaanite mythology which might have had such things connected with it. I can refer to something as a "mickey mouse outfit", but that doesn't mean that I believe that Mickey Mouse was anything other than a Walt Disney cartoon character. We must remember that written literature was common in those times and so fiction and non-fiction was available for people to read.

Sorry. He was not talking about a cartoon show or some mythology here. God was talking to Job and he was not telling Job about some mythological dragon that does not exist. That would make God a liar to tell fairy tales to Job about a creature that does not exist. God is not into telling false fantasies like our Hollywood blasted culture of our day is.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Side Note:

I recognize that you were talking about dragons rather than unicorns, but the same principle still applies. What comes to mind when we think of dragons has been heavily influenced by the fantasy genre and is not necessarily what the author had in mind.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe in China

Not just in China. There are many reports through out history.

Watch this segment from the Creation Today Show with Darek Isaacs.

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you're speaking of Job 7:12, the commentary I consulted say that recent commentators consider the dragon to be a reference to a myth from ancient culture in which the dragon destroys a sea monster (thus explaining why the sea is also mentioned). Given the context in Job, I don't see a problem with a mythological reference. It's as if I said "am I Superman?"

There's no particular reason that Leviathan has to be historical either.

"Since the impact of the Ugaritic texts on OT scholarship, however, it has become widely acknowledged that the allusion here is to a West Semitic form of the myth of the conquest of the sea-deity (probably embodying chaos or sterility) by the high god. So in the Baal cycle of myths, Yam the sea-god (cf. Heb. ים, yām, “sea”) is destroyed by the Ugaritic high god Baal." (Logos commentary, by Clines, D. J. A.)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If there is a dragon/was a dragon, I think it would just be a giant snake of sorts and not the way we envision them. Though the Asian culture dragons look pretty close to serpents. If we associate the dragon with Satan, and he was the serpent in the garden that was reduced to slithering as a mode of transportation, there you have it.:)

Revelation talks about how the Dragon stood before the woman (Revelation 12:4). While this is metaphorical imagery, the fact that the imagery has meaning or purpose is in the fact that is based upon something real.

Anyways, the Leviathan was described as something fearsome. It was really huge because it is suggestive that God can play with this creature and pull it about on a hook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all God didn't start with the Leviathan, Job and his friends discussed rousing the Leviathan. The word is from the Urgaic from what I understand and it was actually a common myth and metaphor for evil, the image is of a sea monster. In Isaiah it's used to speak of Pharoh with fish in his scale indicating a thriving fish harvest. But he will be drawn with hooks in his jaws into the wilderness.

Remember there was a point to the leviathan metaphor, will you tame him.and make him a pet for your children. If you try you will remember the experience for a very long time and you will never do it again. Rousing the leviathan is a curse, it's toying with the powers of the occult. The figurative language is meant to be dramatic, nothing indicating an actual sea monster, it's either the devil or in one passage, pharaohs and the context indicates exactly that.

Nowhere does the Bible suggest that the dragon (Leviathan) is a myth or symbol for evil. God actually talked about other creatures in the line up along with this creature. That is gross misinterpretation of Job 41 to assume that this creature is a myth. Is it because you cannot believe that such a creature could exist in real life? Can you not accept that dragons could be real? Is that the problem?

• Agree
Reactions: AnnaDeborah
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you're speaking of Job 7:12, the commentary I consulted say that recent commentators consider the dragon to be a reference to a myth from ancient culture in which the dragon destroys a sea monster (thus explaining why the sea is also mentioned). Given the context in Job, I don't see a problem with a mythological reference. It's as if I said "am I Superman?"

There's no particular reason that Leviathan has to be historical either.

"Since the impact of the Ugaritic texts on OT scholarship, however, it has become widely acknowledged that the allusion here is to a West Semitic form of the myth of the conquest of the sea-deity (probably embodying chaos or sterility) by the high god. So in the Baal cycle of myths, Yam the sea-god (cf. Heb. ים, yām, “sea”) is destroyed by the Ugaritic high god Baal." (Logos commentary, by Clines, D. J. A.)

I am actually shocked so many regard the mention of Leviathan in Job 41 as being a myth. I do not get that impression when I read the text. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that dragons are a myth. Leviathan is mentioned alongside other animals. It is suggested in Job 41 that God can play with this creature called the Leviathan (Whereas Job cannot). If God was talking about playing with some mythological creature that does not exist, then it would destroy the point God was trying to make with Job in how the Lord can create wondrous and amazing things within His creation that are beyond his understanding.

• Agree
Reactions: AnnaDeborah
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recognize that you were talking about dragons rather than unicorns, but the same principle still applies. What comes to mind when we think of dragons has been heavily influenced by the fantasy genre and is not necessarily what the author had in mind.

Do you believe the Leviathan breathed fire and had impenetrable scales and could dwell in water? If so, then that is a dragon as we would understand it today.

For Job 41 describes a creature that could fly, have indestructible scales, nasty teeth, and that could breath fire.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am actually shocked so many regard the mention of Leviathan in Job 41 as being a myth. I do not get that impression when I read the text. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that dragons are a myth. Leviathan is mentioned alongside other animals. It is suggested in Job 41 that God can play with this creature called the Leviathan (Whereas Job cannot). If God was talking about playing with some mythological creature that does not exist, then it would destroy the point God was trying to make with Job in how the Lord can create wondrous and amazing things within His creation that are beyond his understanding.

Could you show just where in the Creation narrative this wondrous beast could reside, it isn't mentioned in Genesis, as being something special of note.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fun fact...

The Word for Dinosaur was not invented until around 1842 by an English Scientist names Sir Richard Owens.

In the historical records around the world however before this word Dinosaur was invented , there is references of "Dragons" in every country and culture around the world.

In the bible the Greek New testament writings (e.g Rev 12:3; 7; 13; 17; = v15). This Greek Word for "Dragon in the bible means δράκων drakōn a fabulous kind of serpent (perh. as supposed to fascinate):—dragon). So dragon also means serpent

Dragons were the name used for Dinasaurs around the world before 1842.

Whos to say there is not winged Dinasaurs that were around before the flood?

Blessings

Yes, I am aware of these fun facts. Thank you for your input, my friend.

Blessings to you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We must remember that written literature was common in those times and so fiction and non-fiction was available for people to read.

Job is regarded as one of the oldest books in our Biblical canon and is dated to 1000 BC or earlier. At that time in human history literacy was limited to probably no more than 5% of the population --- the very rich and powerful classes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Could you show just where in the Creation narrative this wondrous beast could reside, it isn't mentioned in Genesis, as being something special of note.

The Bible does not have to mention something in order for it to exist.
But the Bible does talk about dragons and a creature called the Leviathan (Which is described very similar to what we would think is a dragon).

Are you saying you do not believe the creature in Job 41 is not like a dragon?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have unicorns in some translations so why not dragons... :)

God created everything in six days. I don't think it is a problem for God to create dragons or a creature like the Leviathan as Job describes. Job 41 does not sound like it is talking about fantasy. This creature is described alongside other creatures.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Probably because like Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs etc. Job is among the books that are classed as poetry, prose, and wisdom literature. They are used to provide a message not necessarily a historical event.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Side Note:

Not really, I posted on that aspect of this conversation in the beginning of this thread, but you apparently missed it.

Oh and Unicorns are in the Bible also.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God created everything in six days. I don't think it is a problem for God to create dragons or a creature like the Leviathan as Job describes. Job 41 does not sound like it is talking about fantasy. This creature is described alongside other creatures.

O bother - now I am sorry I responded even though it was an attempt at humour....

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0