Dragon Ball & Mythology: What exactly is the worldview based on?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For anyone interested, I came across an interesting article recently that had me processing a lot when seeing the actual mythology of Dragon Ball (one of my favorite shows growing up and something I used to draw a lot in before):
To be clear, it needs to be remembered what the concept of Dragon Ball is based on

download.jpg
d221b84da4cc3f5be04ede7df5d1a6a2.jpg

It's well-known within anime circles that Dragon Ball is loosely based on the centuries-old tale Journey to the West, in which a monkey boy flies on a magic cloud while wielding a size-changing staff...but the series has since evolved in many ways. The Dragon World is founded upon Buddho-Daoist and Shinto belief systems, even though there are similarities with Greek mythology when seeing the multiple gods and demons. Also, Gods do not influence people indirectly in DBZ, but speak and interact directly with the characters and can be hurt/killed by people. More specifically, in Toriyama's universe humans or non-God entities seem to have a lot more autonomy and control over their lives and yet there is concern about this with other gods.

In the Dragon Ball universe, there are others which are Gods of Destruction and others that are Supreme Kais - Gods of creation. And with the evolution of the series, many have been speculating on how much more things have evolved. Specifically, the reveal of an evil character similar to Goku known as Goku Black in a recent episode of Dragon Ball Super, has had fans trying to figure out who he is, from being an older and alternate version of Goten to a possible God of Destruction from another universe. ...and it has been having many process since in the Dragon Ball mythology, there were originally 18 universes and now there are currently only 12.

It was rather fascinating to me since I've been keeping up with the new series entitled "Dragon Ball Super" and the ethos of the series has been astounding. Specifically, I've enjoyed keeping up with it thus far and seeing them explore more of the mythology of the series in how the hieary of the universe goes with Divine Beings/Councils and it has had me processing a lot on how to actually contexualize the series with its figures in the religious sense. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear. The mythology really brings up many religious themes tackling multiple dimensions, parallel worlds and the fact of order being set and yet those over that order being in flux....

As another noted best, "It does always seems the Dragon Ball lore is right at the limit of how far it can expand, with Toryama never holding back, but then it manages to take things a step further. I expect the 12 universes aren’t really “everything”, and the new king is really just the King of Some subset of Everything.

tumblr_inline_ob753ftf9L1ql73rr_540.png

And of course, beyond that, the ways in which the universe is set up within that world and mythology is very intriguing when seeing the layers of it all :)

be2105bb18b1456a171d9729660ea846.jpg

Dragon-Ball-Super-16-739x1070.jpg

cZOM96A.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

a6d5654dac7bec85ad022cc17a959509.jpg

VERSION_ENG.jpg

1453929859-tumblr-o0bivufrrw1r1i80po1-1280.jpg

Last edited:

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Concerning the actual RELIGION of Dragon Ball...

As another noted best:

dragonballz-625x350.jpg

......one of the most fascinating things about Dragon Ball Z. It’s a shonen anime, which means there’s a lot of fighting and training and power levels and special moves, but how all of those things scale has become utterly ridiculous. That’s fine, though, because the very cosmology of the Dragon Ball Z universe is utterly ridiculous. It’s so ridiculous that Goku started training with God in Dragon Ball, and just kept climbing through the ranks.

Here’s a quick guide to those ranks, to highlight how amazingly insane the world of Dragon Ball Z is, on a theological scale.

God: Kami
Translator’s note: Kami means “god.” Literally, it means deity in Japanese, and refers to the Shinto concept of a fundamental force or concept; the embodiment of something. In Dragon Ball Z, Kami is an old green alien who assumes the role of Guardian of Earth, and oversees basically everything on the planet. He doesn’t do a great job of it, and is eventually merged with Piccolo while a young green alien named Dende takes his place in the role. Goku trained with him in Dragon Ball.

Super God: King Kai
Overseeing a planet doesn’t mean much in the world of Dragon Ball Z, which is why it has an entire species of cosmos-ruling gods. King Kai, or Kaio of the North, oversees one of the four galaxies (the north one, duh) of the universe. He lived on his own planet at the end of a winding road over the afterlife. Then he died, which didn’t really affect his performance at all. He’s also one of the lowest rungs of Kais. Goku trained with him.

Mega God: Grand Kai
“Grand Kai” sounds epic, as does the fact that this guy oversees all four galaxies in the universe, and is effectively the overseer of not just King Kai, but all four Kais that watch over their different corners of space. He’s a sunglasses-wearing weirdo in a denim vest. Goku trained with him for a short while.

Super Mega God: Supreme Kai
Did you know that gods have a caste system? Regular Kais aren’t all that special. They aren’t even allowed on their home planet, the Supreme Planet of the Kais. That’s reserved for Supreme Kais, or Kaioshins, that create entire worlds and life. The Supreme Kai from Dragon Ball Z is just the Supreme Kai of the Eastern cosmos, but that means he watches over all corners of reality in that general direction. Goku didn’t train with him, because Goku was already strong enough to kick his ass when he appeared.

Super Mega Ultra God: Grand Supreme Kai
Above the four Supreme Kais there was the Grand Supreme Kai, who oversaw all of reality. He was a fat dude, and is the reason Majin Buu was fat, because Majin Buu absorbed him. Yes, canonically Majin Buu is so strong because he absorbed Super Mega Ultra God. Goku didn’t train with him, but in a way trained him when Majin Buu was reincarnated as Uub.

Super Mega Ultra Death God, Literal Destroyer of Worlds: Beerus
This is where the universe just starts to break. Beerus is the God of Destruction for the entire Seventh Universe. This means he can kick the ass of any Grand Supreme Kai, because that’s his literal job: to wreck things in that universe. He’s one of the most powerful beings in Dragon Ball Z, to the extent that all of the Kais and Kaioshins, and every other force in the universe, fear him. Goku doesn’t train with him, but does train with Whis, his servant. Whis is also his mentor, because anime is weird. Whis is the one person in all of Dragon Ball Zwho can kick Beerus’ ass, and can do so handily.

Demi-God With Unsettling Existential Implications: King Yemma
King Yemma isn’t actually a god. He’s an ogre, but he seems to do more actual god-worthy paperwork than any of the deities in the Dragon Ball Z universe. He’s the overseer of the dead, and sits behind a big desk and decides who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. He actually has a job and does it, instead of standing on a platform and staring at stuff until Goku needs training. All of the gods in Dragon Ball Z are too busy not actually caring about anything to keep track of the afterlife, so King Yemma does.

This is all amazing, and in a very weird way, Dragon Ball Z is amazing.

Also...I did not mention it earlier, but there's actually an entire CHURCH dedicated to Goku. It's called Gokuism:

Gokuism is the belief that the principles of Dragon Ball provide a moral compass for one’s life, and that Goku is an ideal role model and moralistic person. By some definitions, it implies that Goku provides personal, global, and universal salvation, and that his death and resurrections were for our sake.

With so many religions already existing, why create this one based on Dragon Ball?

In today’s blog post you’ll learn where Gokuism came from, what its practitioners believe, and explore some thought provoking questions about this new faith.

The Roots of Gokuism

For many fans, Dragon Ball has always held a special place in their hearts. It’s more than just a show. Some spiritually inclined fans find moral lessons that align with their own perspectives, or they are inspired by Goku’s actions to improve themselves. This can range from hitting the gym to trying to become more honest and pure.

In Western Europe and North America there are believers in Judeo-Christian tenets that feel their beliefs relate to the principles in Dragon Ball. They see Goku’s actions and are inspired to become closer to God. But such inspirations had always been restrained within the understandable confines of Dragon Ball being a fabricated series, not an actual paradigm of salvation. And they were individually personal, not promulgated to others.

In this college essay from 2009, “cmvitolo” wrote, “He was a role model of a father, a great guy, strong and above all, caring. This one character, named Goku, demonstrated this beautiful personality, and his positive attitude and pure heart affected me. … As a follower of Christ, I was further influenced by Goku’s ability to do exactly what Christ had suggested we do: “Love your enemy.””

Bringing it to others via Gokuism, Dragon Ball fans have taken a story and world that they know is fantastical to begin with, and made a belief system out of it.

This is not an official religion endorsed by the Japanese license holders, nor the creator of Dragon Ball, Akira Toriyama. It springs from the collective minds of fans.

There does not seem to be a single specific place that Gokuism originated. As a global phenomenon promulgated through the internet, Gokuism could have first appeared anywhere and then gained popularity. Although it has a somewhat larger following in Spain and Mexico.

At the moment, Gokuism seems to have just begun, with only a few sites and established groups existing on the internet. But the comparisons between Goku and Jesus Christ have been around for as long as the series has been popular, which I explore below.

Given more time, what might the future hold? Could Goku become a bigger religious icon or a larger symbol of faith?

Before you write off the possibility, consider for a moment that this exact thing has already occurred with another very well known series.

Gokuism and Jediism

Gokuism appears similar to the Jedi Religion born from Star Wars, known as Jediism, orThe Jedi Church

For anyone interested, I came across an interesting article recently that had me processing a lot when seeing the actual mythology of Dragon Ball (one of my favorite shows growing up and something I used to draw a lot in before):
To be clear, it needs to be remembered what the concept of Dragon Ball is based on

download.jpg
d221b84da4cc3f5be04ede7df5d1a6a2.jpg

It's well-known within anime circles that Dragon Ball is loosely based on the centuries-old tale Journey to the West, in which a monkey boy flies on a magic cloud while wielding a size-changing staff...but the series has since evolved in many ways. The Dragon World is founded upon Buddho-Daoist and Shinto belief systems, even though there are similarities with Greek mythology when seeing the multiple gods and demons. Also, Gods do not influence people indirectly in DBZ, but speak and interact directly with the characters and can be hurt/killed by people. More specifically, in Toriyama's universe humans or non-God entities seem to have a lot more autonomy and control over their lives and yet there is concern about this with other gods.

In the Dragon Ball universe, there are others which are Gods of Destruction and others that are Supreme Kais - Gods of creation. And with the evolution of the series, many have been speculating on how much more things have evolved. Specifically, the reveal of an evil character similar to Goku known as Goku Black in a recent episode of Dragon Ball Super, has had fans trying to figure out who he is, from being an older and alternate version of Goten to a possible God of Destruction from another universe. ...and it has been having many process since in the Dragon Ball mythology, there were originally 18 universes and now there are currently only 12.

It was rather fascinating to me since I've been keeping up with the new series entitled "Dragon Ball Super" and the ethos of the series has been astounding. Specifically, I've enjoyed keeping up with it thus far and seeing them explore more of the mythology of the series in how the hieary of the universe goes with Divine Beings/Councils and it has had me processing a lot on how to actually contexualize the series with its figures in the religious sense. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear. The mythology really brings up many religious themes tackling multiple dimensions, parallel worlds and the fact of order being set and yet those over that order being in flux....

As another noted best, "It does always seems the Dragon Ball lore is right at the limit of how far it can expand, with Toryama never holding back, but then it manages to take things a step further. I expect the 12 universes aren’t really “everything”, and the new king is really just the King of Some subset of Everything.

tumblr_inline_ob753ftf9L1ql73rr_540.png

cZOM96A.jpg

14249113_10102392914372443_635353387_n.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Was part of this post broken out from the Eastern values and TV thread? It looks familiar and I accidentally missed it: sorry about that!

I didn't realize that Gokuism was becoming a codified belief system but I guess I shouldn't be surprised; the closest religion, in terms of origins, that I think parallels it is Jediism. I've met folks from the latter and they're committed and great people to their beliefs. I have not yet met someone who has expressed interest in Gokuism but I did grow up immersed in the Dragon Ball universe and the majority of my friends and many of my generational cohorts are familiar with it, at least at a cursory level. Even with adults I know in my generational bracket, bringing it up evokes a sort of childlike enthusiasm that reminds them of such things.

I remember distinctly identifying with the major characters of the show in a big way. Everyone I knew had a favorite and that character expressed a personality and traits that those who liked them seeked to emulate. Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks being among some of the favorites of friends of mine. I remember being a fan of Dr. Gero and the Androids, personally (that was also my favorite saga, closely followed by the Freeza saga).

I think your analysis of the Dragon Ball universe is spot on and its relation to Buddhism, Taoism and Shinto is very stark when looking back on it, now having more familiarity with those religions. If I could make a social observation about those I know in my social sphere: it seems to me that the beliefs of Eastern religions made small but noticeable imprints on my friend's belief systems. Most of the kids I grew up with and spent time around were like me: either nominally Catholic or not religious at all. Most of them got their only exposure to religion through television and talking to others; they didn't formally attend church. I did, but I wasn't really that into it and my parents didn't force my hand too much. As a kid, frankly, you just don't care about that stuff too much. I didn't dislike it, it was more of a distraction from things that interested me at the time. I remember being quite annoyed about Catholic Catechism class conflicting with Wednesday prime-time afternoon Toonami slots. I was not amused lol.

Reflecting in adulthood though it seems kind of obvious now: not very many of my friends believed in a monotheistic God but many of them believed in spirits and a spirit world as illustrated in such shows as Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z. None of them believed in heaven/hell per se but they did generally believe in reincarnation or something to that effect. They also believed that the natural mattered quite a bit and that it mattered to preserve it out of respect. Even those who nominally identified with Christian religions, like myself, generally believed in these things even if they ran contrary to my birth religion.

Much like the over the top shonen-ness of the anime, a pretty interesting cosmology arose among my friend group for our various games and stories and tabletop campaigns. The beliefs we explored and questions we answered basically amounted to a prevalent thought that ran through it all. "Why not?" was basically the ethos of our collective worldview. Writing this post helps me put it into words but its very interesting to reflect upon it now in adulthood. Even now, I can still feel those imprints from childhood and adolescence. It reminds me of a chapter from Margot Adler's "Drawing Down the Moon: Pagans in North America" titled "A Religion without Converts"; which gives a little more explanation to these ideas that I've expressed in this post. Basically, that personalized religious beliefs arise from specific experiences and are profoundly influencing on those who experience them. They may be utterly outside of the mainstream, but they are not codified as religions because they're more of a fleeting expression of humanity's creativity.

If you couldn't gather, we were the nerdy kids in school lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think your analysis of the Dragon Ball universe is spot on and its relation to Buddhism, Taoism and Shinto is very stark when looking back on it, now having more familiarity with those religions.
Good to know the analysis makes sense. And as said elsewhere, the new Dragon Ball Super saga takes themes even further. As said before elsewhere, Dragon Ball Z really does explore many interesting Eastern themes and I was very thankful for the ways they really went in-depth on the issues when it comes to the concept of differing levels of heavens, differing beings/divine entities, order, etc.

Within Dragon Ball Super, I was very much thankful they even chose to go into things which I saw emphasized in Christianity as I grew up with it - especially in regards to man's potential and God's plan for those who were mortals...and others who were fallen beings jealous of what man could do or their roles which they felt only divine beings should have. If studying up on the character of Zamasu, it is truly an amazing dynamic seeing his fall from grace and his war against mortals.

latest

latest

latest

c01e01d52c9c868ab381c7bb6d4597b2e76de3c6_hq.jpg

black_and_zamasu_fusion___gattai_zamasu_by_miokobayashi-damtzxj.png

And to see what occurred when he was taken out was very stunning since balance had to be restored - and yes, my favorite Dragon Ball character of all time (Trunks) took him out and set it in order.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I remember distinctly identifying with the major characters of the show in a big way. Everyone I knew had a favorite and that character expressed a personality and traits that those who liked them seeked to emulate. Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta and Trunks being among some of the favorites of friends of mine. I remember being a fan of Dr. Gero and the Androids, personally (that was also my favorite saga, closely followed by the Freeza saga).
I had the same dynamic growing up, with my favorite of all time being Trunks. I thought the Android Saga with Cell and Gero was fascinating, although I have to say that the latest one that they did with Zamasu is among my top of all time because of the themes they went into.

It truly is stellar...

w

8a1850d8af9ff6d726b3429ba0b6c12f.jpg

tumblr_oesh5cnk4W1rc40z5o2_500.gif

tumblr_og0uinPDGX1rd4ymxo5_500.gif

tumblr_ofiuvb2Qpn1rd4ymxo1_500.gif

tumblr_od1z9uLbF91rd4ymxo1_500.gif

tumblr_od1z9uLbF91rd4ymxo2_500.gif

tumblr_od1z9uLbF91rd4ymxo3_500.gif

tumblr_og8dobdzT61sxfvy5o1_500.gif

tumblr_o85csod8zb1r72ht7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_og72sdSKDw1vr9uv5o2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Was part of this post broken out from the Eastern values and TV thread? It looks familiar and I accidentally missed it: sorry about that!
It's all good dude if it was missed. I actually made this thread first before referencing the issue in the Anime thread :)
I didn't realize that Gokuism was becoming a codified belief system but I guess I shouldn't be surprised; the closest religion, in terms of origins, that I think parallels it is Jediism. I've met folks from the latter and they're committed and great people to their beliefs. I have not yet met someone who has expressed interest in Gokuism but I did grow up immersed in the Dragon Ball universe and the majority of my friends and many of my generational cohorts are familiar with it, at least at a cursory level. Even with adults I know in my generational bracket, bringing it up evokes a sort of childlike enthusiasm that reminds them of such things.
It is very fascinating seeing what others in Jediism choose to do and how they took a movie concept and made it into a religion, even though Star Wars itself had a theology based on Eastern Religions. I've actually met others who truly believed in the ideology of Gokuism when they approached me (in middle school) believing in power levels increasing - at the time when I drew a lot and loved making art work based on it in competitions among students.
The characters in the show are really stellar characters...and indeed, people fought over characters in their identification :)
I think your analysis of the Dragon Ball universe is spot on and its relation to Buddhism, Taoism and Shinto is very stark when looking back on it, now having more familiarity with those religions. If I could make a social observation about those I know in my social sphere: it seems to me that the beliefs of Eastern religions made small but noticeable imprints on my friend's belief systems. Most of the kids I grew up with and spent time around were like me: either nominally Catholic or not religious at all. Most of them got their only exposure to religion through television and talking to others; they didn't formally attend church. I did, but I wasn't really that into it and my parents didn't force my hand too much. As a kid, frankly, you just don't care about that stuff too much. I didn't dislike it, it was more of a distraction from things that interested me at the time. I remember being quite annoyed about Catholic Catechism class conflicting with Wednesday prime-time afternoon Toonami slots. I was not amused lol.
That makes sense. Growing up around Devout Catholics who were very involved in making their community amazing, we knew what nominal Catholicism looked like and what Authentic/Passionate Catholicism was about (as I've said before) - so for others who were nominal, it was always a matter of not really understanding what it meant to actually follow Christ for real. And most of the people at Church didn't just do so for a social club. As a kid, I loved the Bible and Bible stories because of how real God was in his intervention for my mother and I - but others did not have that experience...so for them, whereas loving God/knowing him deeply was not an option, it was a second thought for others. Cartoons were never seen at odds since I did both, loving things that kids do but also taking God very seriously. Of course, with things like Toonami (Which happened when I was in Middle School), of course I did not play keeping up with my shows.
But at the same time, we didn't play with our faith. It had to be real where it was lived out and not just what we saw in media. Because we knew and were taught on the Bible, shows that displayed mythology for all intents/purposes weren't a problem - they were simply another way of seeing how vast the world is and having imagination.
Reflecting in adulthood though it seems kind of obvious now: not very many of my friends believed in a monotheistic God but many of them believed in spirits and a spirit world as illustrated in such shows as Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z.
Seen the same with some of my cousins, although their belief in spirits and a spirit world was in addition to believing in a monotheistic God. As it was, looking at the Old Testament and its cosmology, it was not a huge leap discussing other divine beings in existence or seeing beings go rogue - and seeing how the world had order to it which needed to be respected.
None of them believed in heaven/hell per se but they did generally believe in reincarnation or something to that effect. They also believed that the natural mattered quite a bit and that it mattered to preserve it out of respect. Even those who nominally identified with Christian religions, like myself, generally believed in these things even if they ran contrary to my birth religion.

The beliefs we explored and questions we answered basically amounted to a prevalent thought that ran through it all. "Why not?" was basically the ethos of our collective worldview.
Yeah, ideas like reincarnation were wrestled with but not really advocated as anything you had to believe in. Déjà vu would bring ideas up like having memories of a past life or already experiencing a moment....and being outside of time.
Much like the over the top shonen-ness of the anime, a pretty interesting cosmology arose among my friend group for our various games and stories and tabletop campaigns.
Likewise :)

Stories were always a part of how we added to the mythology of what we saw in the anime...
Writing this post helps me put it into words but its very interesting to reflect upon it now in adulthood. Even now, I can still feel those imprints from childhood and adolescence. It reminds me of a chapter from Margot Adler's "Drawing Down the Moon: Pagans in North America" titled "A Religion without Converts"; which gives a little more explanation to these ideas that I've expressed in this post. Basically, that personalized religious beliefs arise from specific experiences and are profoundly influencing on those who experience them. They may be utterly outside of the mainstream, but they are not codified as religions because they're more of a fleeting expression of humanity's creativity.
Heard of that concept and to a degree it makes sense. On the same token, personal experiences are a part of how others learn to see the world - although all that I do goes back to seeing what is said within Scripture to confirm and understanding how much learning is a part of understanding more on how God made the world....and gave ability to appreciate his design for it as we live our lives..
If you couldn't gather, we were the nerdy kids in school lol.
Geeks would be more appropriate :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think your analysis of the Dragon Ball universe is spot on and its relation to Buddhism, Taoism and Shinto is very stark when looking back on it, now having more familiarity with those religions.

Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Toriyama does have a tendency to downright FORGET things, and ignore holes.

Two Zenos is a huge paradox: especially with the two being in the same timeline, and touching Timeline Blue's Zeno.

Daishinkan was called father by Whis, which begs the question of whether he is only Whis and Vados' real father (U6/U7 father,) whether he is called father because he is high priest, and/or whether or not he is the father of other angel attendants from other universes.

Goku/Vegeta needed to be capped for a while. Buu was already considered a destroyer (especially while Beerus was sleep for decades,) and since they beat Buu, they were assumed extremely strong - likely in the universe. They had to have a limit to look forward to that could survive the length of the series.

AKIRA has state that if SSG was a 6, Beerus would be a 10, and Whis would be a 15. This scale is likely logarhitmic like pH and seismography. So, Beerus is 10,000x stronger than SSG, Whis is 100,000x stronger than Beerus, and Whis is 1,000,000,000x stronger than SSG.

SSG is arguably stronger than SSB.

I like the mythology, and I can definitely see that in DBS, not so much Z or DB. I don't see many "goddesses," but maybe the other universes will surprise us.

I really liked the Goku Black/Zamasu arc - one of the best ones I have seen yet from DB - and it was really involved philosophically. The mythology of the universe was set up, and explained pretty well in this arc.

At this point, Vegeta is stronger than Goku without kaioken multipliers. I think there is room for another transformation, but I have heard that the ultimate transformation will be angel ki training under Daishinkan.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
It's all good dude if it was missed. I actually made this thread first before referencing the issue in the Anime thread :)
It is very fascinating seeing what others in Jediism choose to do and how they took a movie concept and made it into a religion, even though Star Wars itself had a theology based on Eastern Religions. I've actually met others who truly believed in the ideology of Gokuism when they approached me (in middle school) believing in power levels increasing - at the time when I drew a lot and loved making art work based on it in competitions among students.
The characters in the show are really stellar characters...and indeed, people fought over characters in their identification :)

This is interesting because it closely mirrors what I experienced as well. I remember being a big part of it and blending a lot of DBZ ideas with things from other animes and cartoons that I was exposed to at the time, though DBZ really was a centerpiece of the cosmological fixture. :)

That makes sense. Growing up around Devout Catholics who were very involved in making their community amazing, we knew what nominal Catholicism looked like and what Authentic/Passionate Catholicism was about (as I've said before) - so for others who were nominal, it was always a matter of not really understanding what it meant to actually follow Christ for real. And most of the people at Church didn't just do so for a social club. As a kid, I loved the Bible and Bible stories because of how real God was in his intervention for my mother and I - but others did not have that experience...so for them, whereas loving God/knowing him deeply was not an option, it was a second thought for others. Cartoons were never seen at odds since I did both, loving things that kids do but also taking God very seriously. Of course, with things like Toonami (Which happened when I was in Middle School), of course I did not play keeping up with my shows.
But at the same time, we didn't play with our faith. It had to be real where it was lived out and not just what we saw in media. Because we knew and were taught on the Bible, shows that displayed mythology for all intents/purposes weren't a problem - they were simply another way of seeing how vast the world is and having imagination.

This is pretty interesting. I think my nominal Catholicism simply came from my surroundings and not from any abject rejection of church. If I had been a passionate Catholic, then I bet I still would have retained what I will call syncreticism for the ideas I had absorbed from such media growing up. I do think that my religious upbringing made a big impact on those sorts of things. Mythological stories were widely accepted as okay in my household, it wouldn't be until my parents divorced and that my dad became a Protestant did those sorts of attitudes change. Though by that point I had mostly been cemented into my cosmology of the day. My beliefs would grow and evolve (I became a staunch Pentecostal for a brief time even!) but eventually it burned me out. I was too introverted for it, and it didn't seem to focus on the things I felt was important -- but that's another matter entirely.

Seen the same with some of my cousins, although their belief in spirits and a spirit world was in addition to believing in a monotheistic God. As it was, looking at the Old Testament and its cosmology, it was not a huge leap discussing other divine beings in existence or seeing beings go rogue - and seeing how the world had order to it which needed to be respected.
Yeah, ideas like reincarnation were wrestled with but not really advocated as anything you had to believe in. Déjà vu would bring ideas up like having memories of a past life or already experiencing a moment....and being outside of time.

Stories were always a part of how we added to the mythology of what we saw in the anime...
Heard of that concept and to a degree it makes sense. On the same token, personal experiences are a part of how others learn to see the world - although all that I do goes back to seeing what is said within Scripture to confirm and understanding how much learning is a part of understanding more on how God made the world....and gave ability to appreciate his design for it as we live our lives..
Geeks would be more appropriate :)

Sort of like I said in the paragraph above, I bet that if my beliefs were a little different I probably would have held exact the same as the bolded sentence. In fact, I think that Christian cosmology more than others is actually fairly accommodating to it though any sort of expression of such beliefs, even for a creative thought exercise tends to be very much frowned upon in Christianity. I suspect there's a lot of people with syncretic beliefs that incorporate ideas from Eastern religions and I think there is more than that now than in the past. Either way I am not sure that it matters re: declared religion. I've seen my mostly Agnostic friend group either remain the same or even have some converts to Christianity, though they aren't very "theologically pure", I think that at their base some of the childhood ideas stick with their understanding of Christianity. I know mine do for my religion, and I suspect others do for their religions.

The syncreticism of religions is a subject that fascinates me, mostly because it challenges me because I love order and categorization: It's easy to see a short list of religious beliefs and assume that all people hold them monolithically within a faith. In practice there's lots of blending and a sliding scale of emphasis on certain tenets. I think syncreticism goes beyond a simplistic "mixing religions" but very much includes (is maybe the majority) the ideas we have talked about in this thread. It's too diverse and organic to measure in any real way but I wish I could see into the minds of our generation in particular to see how their beliefs have shaped around media and culture.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is interesting because it closely mirrors what I experienced as well. I remember being a big part of it and blending a lot of DBZ ideas with things from other animes and cartoons that I was exposed to at the time, though DBZ really was a centerpiece of the cosmological fixture. :)
A lot of it always went back (for me) to understanding what makes logically sense in the world we live in. In example, for the actual series, the concept of Time Travel when it came to others like Trunks and having alternate timelines or parallel worlds was not a stretch since my theological views already were such that those concepts made a lot of sense. The mythological world of DBZ simply echoed part of what I took seriously, except it took a concept and applied it in a different sense.
This is pretty interesting. I think my nominal Catholicism simply came from my surroundings and not from any abject rejection of church. If I had been a passionate Catholic, then I bet I still would have retained what I will call syncreticism for the ideas I had absorbed from such media growing up. I do think that my religious upbringing made a big impact on those sorts of things. Mythological stories were widely accepted as okay in my household, it wouldn't be until my parents divorced and that my dad became a Protestant did those sorts of attitudes change. Though by that point I had mostly been cemented into my cosmology of the day. My beliefs would grow and evolve (I became a staunch Pentecostal for a brief time even!) but eventually it burned me out. I was too introverted for it, and it didn't seem to focus on the things I felt was important -- but that's another matter entirely
I can understand that dynamic, especially with the personal impacting the theological (as many end up making theology based on their personal experiences). But as it concerns the syncreticism, I grew up seeing how all did it to one degree or another when it comes to culture - so it was always a matter of growth. Curious as to how you became burnt out and why....
Sort of like I said in the paragraph above, I bet that if my beliefs were a little different I probably would have held exact the same as the bolded sentence. In fact, I think that Christian cosmology more than others is actually fairly accommodating to it though any sort of expression of such beliefs, even for a creative thought exercise tends to be very much frowned upon in Christianity.
Not really certain where you get that sort of understanding from Christianity since it is accepted at several points. Of course, based on where one is standing, one either sees it or misses it. Some of this was shared more so in other places, such as Father Abraham /History of World Religions Map & Connections

And others, such as Dr. Michael Heisner, have discussed the issue when it comes to Divine Plurality when understanding the reality of Christ (or the concept of the "Two Powers in Heaven" ):

Many have no idea what the early Church noted when it came to Jewish believers (in the first century before the councils) had battles as it concerns the concept of the Divine Council - and the reality of the Two Powers in Heaven idea that helped many Jews come to faith in Christ and developa Christological Monotheism since they could understand that the rabbis always taught that God had a lesser power to Him (regent) who was God as well and they co-ruled. Many are not aware of the relationships between rabbinic Judaism, Merkabah mysticism, and early Christianity - as it was the case that "Two powers in heaven" was a very early category of heresy and one of the basic categories by which the rabbis perceived the new phenomenon of Christianity...yet they did not understand the reality of what Christianity advocated on the role of the Messiah nor did they know the history of what the rabbis before them had already said in agreement with the Messiah being Divine.

One Jewish scholar who did an amazing job on the issue is Daniel Boyarin, who wrote Two Powers in Heaven; Or the Making of Heresy as well as the book entitled Border Lines: The Partition of Judaeo-Christianity (as well as The Gospel of the Memra: Jewish Binitarianism and the Prologue to John and the work "The Jewish Gospels" where he noted at multiple points where the concept of the Messiah was always rooted in Jewish thought and echoed by what the rabbis said....and for Jews, the two powers are one and a person does not worship one without the other and even Second Temple literature is replete with forms of bitheism, including the philonic logos and the Ezekiel traditions of an Angel of God in the image of a man appearing on the throne. ).

And again, Dr. Michael Heisner (of LOGOS Bible Software) did an excellent job covering the issue in his presentation entitled The Naked Bible » Two Powers in Heaven ....more here in The Divine Council and Jewish Binitarianism - YouTube or the following:

But on the issue, a lot of people can understand the concept when seeing what happens in comics that bring up the concept of councils - as shared before:

I think Marvel has had similar dynamics with regards to incarnations of concepts which impact people's lives. They did so already with the personification of Death itself, as an example - for others such as Oblivion and Death represent the forces of Death and Eternity and Infinity represent the forces of life, as they are in perfect harmony.. all coming into existence with Eternity, Infinity, and Oblivion at the start of all existence. I loved the way they tied things in - especially with the idea of Thanos' quest to gain the approval and love of Mistress Death. ...an interesting concept and one that I've found fascinating, from a Christian perspective, in light of where I've seen it argued that Death itself is a concept that God created and used on several occassions - with others feeling it is a literal being (based on I Corinthians 15 and other passages dealing with the Angel of Death, more shared here and here) - and as it concerns the entire fundamental elements of the universe personified, there are a lot of similarities to what has been noted within Theism (more specifically Christendom/Judaism) in regards to the concept of their being a Supreme Being who rules over a Divine Council
- all working in unision to keep the universe itself going (even though it all exists within God), as Dr. Michael Heiser has noted before with regards to what the Divine Coucil is about and how it relates to humanity itself.... And others who've done amazing work on the issue are people like Dr. Margret Baker (more here, etc).

Again, to see the concept of a Divine Council within the world of Marvel Comics is rather amazing :)

Was watching some cartoons recently....and I Forgot to share earlier....but in regards to religion, I have to say that I was glad to know that one of my favorite series was made into an animated series, Green Lantern. One of the more wild concepts behind the series comes in regards to the actual creators of the Green Lantern corps...

GL_jimlee.jpg

Whenever I hear of the theology behind Green Lantern and the Guardians of the Universe (THE blue skinned people with big heads) having differing energies utilized to police the galaxy, I got a bit weirded out.

Felt almost like they were saying those guys were God essentially whenever they said they were immortal/responsible for creation of life in the universe. Always turned me off whenever I saw it....for it seemed to advance the view that all things simply occurred.

And I have to agree that the Guardians are the WORST guardians of the galaxy - more shared in 9 Reasons Green Lanterns Are the Universe's Worst Guardians..

But I am glad that they were able to show the concept of a council able to learn/grow - as well as showing elements in the Council who were a very radical problem. The Animated series did an excellent job portraying that :)

2338520-screen_shot_2012_05_11_at_7.12.57_am.png

That said, when seeing the mythology of the Green Lantern universe, it has always been fascinating when seeing the concept of universal constants being present to give people strength. It's a frequency of light/energy in the universe one can gain access to in order to accomplish feats. One of the reasons why the Guardians got their behinds in trouble when failing to let the other Lanterns know that Green Energy wasn't the only source of energy one could use in combat....and for any seeing the Lantern Corps Wars in the comics and all the differing sides at war (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc), it was pretty epic to see the ways that the Green Lantern Corps essentially went into chaos. Each frequency makes a differing emotion...but once you identify it and learn how to master it, things get wild. Sinestro made his own corps after seeing the Guardians/Green for what it was and seeing it inherently weaker.

And on the differing colors:

Very powerful concepts...

Green-Lantern-Corps-6.jpg

Just a thought...
I suspect there's a lot of people with syncretic beliefs that incorporate ideas from Eastern religions and I think there is more than that now than in the past. Either way I am not sure that it matters re: declared religion. I've seen my mostly Agnostic friend group either remain the same or even have some converts to Christianity, though they aren't very "theologically pure", I think that at their base some of the childhood ideas stick with their understanding of Christianity. I know mine do for my religion, and I suspect others do for their religions.
I think the religion you choose is always important and of very HIGH significance when seeing how the world works since it will impact deep issues of life and essential questions in how we are to operate.

Questions like:

• What is 'life'?
  • "What is the origin of life?"
  • "How did I get here?"
  • "Why am I here?"
  • "What does the future hold for the inhabitants of our world?
"
For all of the questions brought up, they are central behind the way we live our lives...especially as it concerns the reasons behind why we believe what we believe - and truly seeing what ideas make the most sense for those issues and give the most consistency. I note this often whenever others who are atheists question me on my faith and I point out that morality presupposes theism - and from there, understanding what God looks like. I cannot see the world without a designer when so much exists within that shows Divine Order (and Dr. Stephen Myers does an awesome job highlighting those issues alongside others like Dr. Ravi Zacharias) - so of course, mythologies within things like Dragon Ball speak since they echo that concept.

But as we're all walking things out, there's always grace I keep in mind for people while seeing others where they are.

Not certain on what you mean by theologically pure..
The syncreticism of religions is a subject that fascinates me, mostly because it challenges me because I love order and categorization: It's easy to see a short list of religious beliefs and assume that all people hold them monolithically within a faith. In practice there's lots of blending and a sliding scale of emphasis on certain tenets. I think syncreticism goes beyond a simplistic "mixing religions" but very much includes (is maybe the majority) the ideas we have talked about in this thread. It's too diverse and organic to measure in any real way but I wish I could see into the minds of our generation in particular to see how their beliefs have shaped around media and culture.
Very true - and there are different types of syncreticism. Some are acceptable and others not so much, especially in regards to colonialism and the ways that imperialistic systems often melded with religious beliefs to do a lot of damage. And within systems, there is diversity - but how that plays out always intrigues me.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like the mythology, and I can definitely see that in DBS, not so much Z or DB. I don't see many "goddesses," but maybe the other universes will surprise us.
Who knows what will happen....we will have to wait and see on that.
I really liked the Goku Black/Zamasu arc - one of the best ones I have seen yet from DB - and it was really involved philosophically. The mythology of the universe was set up, and explained pretty well in this arc.
Indeed. It's something I think topped anything that was in the Dragon Ball Z sagas since it really explained the mythology and had very HIGH stakes....and deep questions to wrestle through with good vs evil.
At this point, Vegeta is stronger than Goku without kaioken multipliers. I think there is room for another transformation, but I have heard that the ultimate transformation will be angel ki training under Daishinka
I hope they would let Vegeta save the day at some point and have a saga dedicated to hi - and I hope the training pays off
n.

Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Toriyama does have a tendency to downright FORGET things, and ignore holes..
He leaves it to the viewers to help to connect the dots. If it were easy, it'd never make sense. I see people STILL wondering how in the world Trunks became so immensely powerful this season and what kind of Saiyan he is now - and I love that Toriyama did an amazing job wrapping up his story from Dragon Ball Z (during his time travel excursions) and showing how it tied to what we saw in this series :)

But I am glad for others who do amazing jobs helping with understanding things and making it fun :) I love, for example, places like MasakoX in his commentary.

trunks-ataca-a-black-dragon-ball-super_782939.jpg

Two Zenos is a huge paradox: especially with the two being in the same timeline, and touching Timeline Blue's Zeno.
I actually LOVE the idea of paradox, as the way that Goku kept his word to help him find a friend was priceless.....but now that there are TWO Zenos, the very idea of how many ultimate GODs there are is intriguing. And where that takes things now is amazing.

But as it is, alternative timelines in the Dragon Ball Super Universe are a very intricate matter and I am glad for others helping to piece things together.

Daishinkan was called father by Whis, which begs the question of whether he is only Whis and Vados' real father (U6/U7 father,) whether he is called father because he is high priest, and/or whether or not he is the father of other angel attendants from other universes.
My guess is that he is their real father....
Goku/Vegeta needed to be capped for a while. Buu was already considered a destroyer (especially while Beerus was sleep for decades,) and since they beat Buu, they were assumed extremely strong - likely in the universe. They had to have a limit to look forward to that could survive the length of the series.
I agree..
AKIRA has state that if SSG was a 6, Beerus would be a 10, and Whis would be a 15. This scale is likely logarhitmic like pH and seismography. So, Beerus is 10,000x stronger than SSG, Whis is 100,000x stronger than Beerus, and Whis is 1,000,000,000x stronger than SSG.

SSG is arguably stronger than SSB.
That's a good guess...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't get cocky...

Hakai!
-_-

I think Zamasu's screaming is hilarious, especially during the mafuba.

I saw a lot of people say Trunks went false SSB, or something close. I lean more toward the idea that since VEGETA trained him, likely as a SSB, trunks learned how to tap into God ki partially - similar to how Vegeta was able to do it just be training with Whis. We know Vegeta trained FT because of the cutaway scenes that show Vegeta teaching Trunks the Galik Gun technique. Also, the fact that trunks learned final flash (epic scene) means they trained together (unlike Cell saga.) Trunks's SSJ2 was already close to or as strong as SSJ3 Goku (in manga.) Since there is no SSJ4, it seems Trunks went the way of Vegeta and skipped SSJ3, and reached a new transformation.

I call it Super Saiyan Cladded With the Power of a super saiyan god super saiyan. Or, SSCB - SSJ Clad Blue.

Beerus reminds me of Anubis (I think that may have been the point,) and Whis reminds me of an actual Judeo-Christian angel (patience, service, power, etc.) I do think it is cliche to make God out to be an all-powerful "baby/child" character - I have heard and seen that motif often.

The two attendants for Zeno remind me of the two pillars. When I saw Super, I was surprised how much Western influenced theology and mythology was put into it.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't get cocky...
Love that scene :)

But sadden to see what happened when Zamasu managed around it..

Hakai!
-_-

I think Zamasu's screaming is hilarious, especially during the mafuba.
The voice actor was spot on...
I saw a lot of people say Trunks went false SSB, or something close. I lean more toward the idea that since VEGETA trained him, likely as a SSB, trunks learned how to tap into God ki partially - similar to how Vegeta was able to do it just be training with Whis. We know Vegeta trained FT because of the cutaway scenes that show Vegeta teaching Trunks the Galik Gun technique. Also, the fact that trunks learned final flash (epic scene) means they trained together (unlike Cell saga.) Trunks's SSJ2 was already close to or as strong as SSJ3 Goku (in manga.) Since there is no SSJ4, it seems Trunks went the way of Vegeta and skipped SSJ3, and reached a new transformation.

I call it Super Saiyan Cladded With the Power of a super saiyan god super saiyan. Or, SSCB - SSJ Clad Blue.
I think the best explanation to everything is that Trunks new form involved the ability to absorb Chi from others around him - one of the reasons he could catch up so very quickly to where Goku and Vegeta were in power level when they were SSB. It's also why he did not transform in hair color. But he could also absorb/tap into the GOD Ki as the Kais pointed out and wondered when he was fighting...the power of rage. It's why he was able to really defeat Zamasu's final form and go toe-to-toe....as that was very unique absoring spirit energy into himself and his aura was completely Blue. He had also been the most dedicated in fighting since this was HIS world being assaulted and he kept coming back stronger after every fight...

26c7c8a21edf1662c30a5e1408fc5310.png

As another noted best in the official site:

The true nature of this form has yet to be explained officially, but in appearance, this Super Saiyan state has the traits of several other Super Saiyan forms; it primarily resembles a standard Super Saiyan, but with a more intense glow, and has a dense, flowing aura similar to Super Saiyan Blue and Super Saiyan Rosé, but with the aura being golden like a normal Super Saiyan and Trunks gaining a blue glow around his body. His irises and pupils are also temporarily invisible, similar to the Pseudo Super Saiyan and Legendary Super Saiyan forms, his voice enters a deeper and more sinister tone, and his hair is a mixture between the Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan Second Grade forms, only with an even more golden color. Also when transforming into the form his muscles bulk up similar to Super Saiyan Third Grade before the blue part to his aura appears and his muscles return to normal. When first attaining this form his footsteps cause cracks in the ground. Similar to a Super Saiyan 2, his aura also emits dense, blue lightning.

Super Trunks attacks Goku Black and Zamasu

After absorbing the power of light and hope from mankind that had gathered into a ball of energy, Trunks gained a new type of power up in this form, turning his aura completely blue, his body producing blue energy around him.

Usage and power

The power of this form allows Future Trunks to fight both Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black and the Immortal Future Zamasu and force them on the defensive. He utilizes the form to hold the two off by himself, while Goku and Vegeta travel back to the present in order to find a way to defeat Black and Zamasu. After being defeated and treated by Future Mai, Future Trunks uses this form again to fight the pair, knocking away Future Zamasu while seemingly defeating Goku Black with a relentless assault.

While fighting against Fusion Zamasu, the form is shown to be able to power up even further, though the light energy of mortals across the Earth, gaining a massive boost in power. This power was able to destroy Fusion Zamasu's body with ease.

Although there’s no new name for this Super Saiyan form yet, he has both gold and blue aura around him - and he looks similar to Broly thanks to the white pupils and his hair looks more spikier too. AND the fact that he was revealed in the Manga to have trained with the Kais - no surprise with his power levels being so high.

latest

49ffa79cd197844e5ef56caad8c0f01e.jpg

tumblr_oczhbkobQJ1rd4ymxo7_500.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o1_540.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o2_540.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o3_540.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o4_540.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o5_540.gif

tumblr_oghejlDaXe1sg9gi2o6_540.gif

3d3ea83767c7543489b541be55ac444f.jpg

tumblr_oih6x3Awy81s3x0eto4_1280.png

tumblr_oih6x3Awy81s3x0eto3_1280.png

04.jpg

5470048-9411871350-d1ca9.jpg

4848d90eed11dabb846ad1e1252c2810.jpg

dragon-ball-super-8116585.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_oih6x3Awy81s3x0eto1_1280.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the first time T. has really focused on mythology and theology. It was always some philosophy implied and even explicit, but this Super is rich in "mytheology" since the beginning.

The battle of the gods movie (and saga) immediately introduced DB to a new class of show and characters. As the song says, "kami ni idomu basho" - gonna take the challenge of the gods.

Now, since we are dealing with deities, good and bad will always be skewed, and gray. Zamasu is a perfect example of that; I am sort of a misanthrope, and at times I can see myself understanding his ridiculous logic. That, plus the repetitive fact that he is, in fact, a god, and humans do continue to defy them. We, the audience, think it is cute to see the gang go back and forth in time despite Whis and Beerus telling them it is forbidden for even the gods. But, if this was the real world (like it is for Zamasu) then this is a serious crime, and sin.

And, Black was right when he said if it wasn't for Trunks going back the first time, "Black" wouldn't exist, because Goku wouldn't be alive today to challenge Zamasu like he did etc...

Very gray.

And Zamasu represents a Lucifer type creature - a prodigy, but prideful thinking he can be a better god than God. He gets too big for his pants getting a kick out of judging "mortals," until Zeno has to destroy him.

I want to see Vegeta have a prolonged, and sizable advantage over Goku for once (not the time chamber boost only to have Goku Kamehameha match merged Zamasu's "Divine Judgment" or whatever it is called.) I don't know why T. hates Vegeta so much (but he does... he has said so.) But, there is about a 50%/50% fan base for Goku and Co., and Vegeta. So, he should do Vegeta right.

I see he is focusing more on Vegeta developing as a father, and his family. That is a start. I want him to have the power too. After all, he is the only one who actually respectfully addresses Whis and Beerus (Goku certainly doesnt.)

• Informative
Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
A lot of it always went back (for me) to understanding what makes logically sense in the world we live in. In example, for the actual series, the concept of Time Travel when it came to others like Trunks and having alternate timelines or parallel worlds was not a stretch since my theological views already were such that those concepts made a lot of sense. The mythological world of DBZ simply echoed part of what I took seriously, except it took a concept and applied it in a different sense.
I can understand that dynamic, especially with the personal impacting the theological (as many end up making theology based on their personal experiences). But as it concerns the syncreticism, I grew up seeing how all did it to one degree or another when it comes to culture - so it was always a matter of growth. Curious as to how you became burnt out and why....
Not really certain where you get that sort of understanding from Christianity since it is accepted at several points. Of course, based on where one is standing, one either sees it or misses it. Some of this was shared more so in other places, such as Father Abraham /History of World Religions Map & Connections

And others, such as Dr. Michael Heisner, have discussed the issue when it comes to Divine Plurality when understanding the reality of Christ (or the concept of the "Two Powers in Heaven" ):

Many have no idea what the early Church noted when it came to Jewish believers (in the first century before the councils) had battles as it concerns the concept of the Divine Council - and the reality of the Two Powers in Heaven idea that helped many Jews come to faith in Christ and developa Christological Monotheism since they could understand that the rabbis always taught that God had a lesser power to Him (regent) who was God as well and they co-ruled. Many are not aware of the relationships between rabbinic Judaism, Merkabah mysticism, and early Christianity - as it was the case that "Two powers in heaven" was a very early category of heresy and one of the basic categories by which the rabbis perceived the new phenomenon of Christianity...yet they did not understand the reality of what Christianity advocated on the role of the Messiah nor did they know the history of what the rabbis before them had already said in agreement with the Messiah being Divine.

One Jewish scholar who did an amazing job on the issue is Daniel Boyarin, who wrote Two Powers in Heaven; Or the Making of Heresy as well as the book entitled Border Lines: The Partition of Judaeo-Christianity (as well as The Gospel of the Memra: Jewish Binitarianism and the Prologue to John and the work "The Jewish Gospels" where he noted at multiple points where the concept of the Messiah was always rooted in Jewish thought and echoed by what the rabbis said....and for Jews, the two powers are one and a person does not worship one without the other and even Second Temple literature is replete with forms of bitheism, including the philonic logos and the Ezekiel traditions of an Angel of God in the image of a man appearing on the throne. ).

And again, Dr. Michael Heisner (of LOGOS Bible Software) did an excellent job covering the issue in his presentation entitled The Naked Bible » Two Powers in Heaven ....more here in The Divine Council and Jewish Binitarianism - YouTube or the following:

But on the issue, a lot of people can understand the concept when seeing what happens in comics that bring up the concept of councils - as shared before:

Just a thought...
I think the religion you choose is always important and of very HIGH significance when seeing how the world works since it will impact deep issues of life and essential questions in how we are to operate.

Questions like:

• What is 'life'?
  • "How did I get here?"
  • "Why am I here?"
  • "What does the future hold for the inhabitants of our world?
"
For all of the questions brought up, they are central behind the way we live our lives...especially as it concerns the reasons behind why we believe what we believe - and truly seeing what ideas make the most sense for those issues and give the most consistency. I note this often whenever others who are atheists question me on my faith and I point out that morality presupposes theism - and from there, understanding what God looks like. I cannot see the world without a designer when so much exists within that shows Divine Order (and Dr. Stephen Myers does an awesome job highlighting those issues alongside others like Dr. Ravi Zacharias) - so of course, mythologies within things like Dragon Ball speak since they echo that concept.

But as we're all walking things out, there's always grace I keep in mind for people while seeing others where they are.

Very true - and there are different types of syncreticism. Some are acceptable and others not so much, especially in regards to colonialism and the ways that imperialistic systems often melded with religious beliefs to do a lot of damage. And within systems, there is diversity - but how that plays out always intrigues me.

There's a lot to parse here, I will get back to it once I've had some time to digest and address it. Thanks for all of the information to look at.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's a lot to parse here, I will get back to it once I've had some time to digest and address it. Thanks for all of the information to look at.
Look forward to the thoughts you share once you get the chance :) And of course, I am in no rush. My mindset is so geared toward documentation.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Pentecostalism in particular requires a lot of social and emotional capital and that I simply didn't have when a was a teenager in high school. Our church denomination depended quite a bit on very emotional "revival" and "laying on hands" experiences that I simply didn't understand or relate to. I never had such a holy, emotional outburst so I began to question if I was really a Christian. The answer was apparently "no", as I seemed to run up against the culture in a negative way over time. Then I sort of "spiritually drifted" for a long time, becoming progressively more interested in the occult as I felt like it captured so much of that esoteric aspect of the world that was lacking in the more exoteric presentation of revealed religion. Then over time I sort of fell into my current beliefs as an extension of that interest in an occult view of the universe. Granted, there's absolutely no mandate at all that occultism and paganism are automatically connected. I know folks who would describe themselves as occult Christians though they would never use that label around other Christians because its a pretty big scare word and actively discouraged.

Note: I trucated some of the links below for post order and readability, others can look at the original post if they'd like all the listed links.

This was an interesting read overall. I did not know anything about the idea of the "Divine Council" so that was particularly enlightening but I have a question. I do not know your denomination (though your label is Oriental Orthodox) but if you presented such an idea in your church's Bible study, would it attract a lot of negative attention or would it generally be embraced? While, from my cursory understanding of the Bible, it seems to make sense I suspect it runs against the sensibilities who have developed their own understanding Christian cosmology and would be thrown out as heresy. I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I am legitimately curious. I think in my former Roman Catholic church it would attract some stares and debate but probably be considered but I think in the Wesleyan Pentecostal church it would be thrown out as "pagan" or "dangerous heresy", which I don't agree with in either case.

Just a thought...

Questions like:
  • What is 'life'?
  • "How did I get here?"
  • "Why am I here?"
  • "What does the future hold for the inhabitants of our world?"

You're definitely right, and Christianity has an elaborate framework for answering these questions that is overall pretty consistent, I'll admit. This may not be thread appropriate as its too personally specific (maybe better for private conversation) but I think that my difficulties with Christianity stem from not its fundamental description of the universe but its specific moral rules and the trend of middle-American anti-intellectualism that it appears to underpin. I absolutely understand that such things are no way indicative of Christianity in its whole global scope but the political and cultural aspects are something that I really struggle with, and I freely admit to that being part of my own upbringing. I don't want to go on too big of a derailing ramble here though.

So when I read about your views on the subject I find them legitimately fascinating as there seem to be others that think at least in the same vein as me in terms of universal cosmology. There's differences of religion of course and culture too, I imagine, but its admittedly pretty invigorating that at least another person understands it and can put it in to words easily.

Though the term sounds kind of snide I don't mean it what way: it just seemed accurate. What I mean is the degree of syncreticism which is tolerable to religious believers. Using Christianity as the example: I know many Christians who believe in ghosts. At a glance that seems kind of syncretic to me and that I feel is in the "margin for tolerance", as its a pretty widespread thing that isn't exactly codified in the Bible (which from my Protestant background is taught as the only, literal documentation for Christianity) but it is more or less tolerated. Where as reincarnation for example, also not taught by the Bible as a part of the Christian universe, is roundly rejected as a "Hindu idea" by the average Christian. That falls outside of the "margin for tolerance" re: syncretic beliefs.

Does that make a little more sense?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pentecostalism in particular requires a lot of social and emotional capital and that I simply didn't have when a was a teenager in high school. Our church denomination depended quite a bit on very emotional "revival" and "laying on hands" experiences that I simply didn't understand or relate to. I never had such a holy, emotional outburst so I began to question if I was really a Christian. The answer was apparently "no", as I seemed to run up against the culture in a negative way over time. Then I sort of "spiritually drifted" for a long time, becoming progressively more interested in the occult as I felt like it captured so much of that esoteric aspect of the world that was lacking in the more exoteric presentation of revealed religion. Then over time I sort of fell into my current beliefs as an extension of that interest in an occult view of the universe. Granted, there's absolutely no mandate at all that occultism and paganism are automatically connected. I know folks who would describe themselves as occult Christians though they would never use that label around other Christians because its a pretty big scare word and actively discouraged.
That makes sense. To be clear, in the event it may have been missed before, I grew up in the Pentecostal/Charismatic world and thus I know fully where you're coming from (and for reference, one can go here and here ). The Church background I was with was within the Evangelical world... It is a very intricate and complicated world - and in many places, it's really about emotionalism more so than substance. Just because someone laid hands on another doesn't mean that something automatically happened (especially when/if the focus went away for those laying on hands if their character was off) - and just because someone didn't scream or shout did not mean they were automatically lacking a spiritual awareness - or that maturity was somehow present. I was glad to grow up around both sides (healthy and unhealthy) and be informed on what to look out for since so much of what happened was about theatrics rather than focusing on real relationship with Christ. I would classify myself among those who were Charismatic Intellectuals (with others like Dr. Amos Yong or Professor Sam Storms being people I looked up to) - and many others, due to only seeing emotionalism masked as spiritual experiences, ended up walking away from the Faith. I don't blame them - especially seeing many others who ended up becoming part of a Charismatic Ghetto where they have no awareness of the world around them AND so many of them being influenced by Americanism/Patriotic forms of Christianity which were essentially Nationalism. There were moments talking to some where it seemed rather evident that there was not a willingness to engage in things if it was outside of Charismatic experience - and there's a reason why many find thems

The Early Church had a very high awareness of the spiritual world around them and I love the Early Church for its faithfulness to scholarship, especially within Alexandrian tradition. They knew how to address issues of esoteric thought, especially when it came to the Occult expressed via Gnosticism. Of course, to be clear, not all things labeled "Gnostic" were automatically condemned within the Early Church - for the history of Christianity in Egypt, in example, can't be understood without mentioning the Egyptian Gnostics, concentrated in Upper Egypt and made popular by discoveries in Nag Hammadi...when studying the history of the Church of Alexandria, it is interesting to consider that there are perfect Orthodox Christian forms of ‘gnosticism’. - something to keep in mind with the dynamic of language.

This was an interesting read overall. I did not know anything about the idea of the "Divine Council" so that was particularly enlightening but I have a question. I do not know your denomination (though your label is Oriental Orthodox) but if you presented such an idea in your church's Bible study, would it attract a lot of negative attention or would it generally be embraced?
It'd be embraced, actually, as it is not a very difficult concept to understand. Of course, where there's a lack of awareness on church history and avoidance of the scriptures at several points, some may seemed shocked - and it takes time for others to become familiar.

In the event you do not know who the individual is, I'd suggest looking into others who've done amazing work on the issue like Dr. Margret Baker (more here, etc) - she has worked with several Orthodox circles for some time (and was referenced in the work others have done on the Divine Council concept).

You're definitely right, and Christianity has an elaborate framework for answering these questions that is overall pretty consistent, I'll admit. This may not be thread appropriate as its too personally specific (maybe better for private conversation)
I can understand that. As this forum is about discussion of world religions or the reasons we adhere to them, I'm a pretty open book on issues such as this. But of course, anything that may be more personal or deeply held I'm always good discussing offline/in other forums.....FB being one of the main places I do a lot of convo.

I think that my difficulties with Christianity stem from not its fundamental description of the universe but its specific moral rules and the trend of middle-American anti-intellectualism that it appears to underpin. I absolutely understand that such things are no way indicative of Christianity in its whole global scope but the political and cultural aspects are something that I really struggle with, and I freely admit to that being part of my own upbringing. I don't want to go on too big of a derailing ramble here though.
I feel you.

Other scholars such as the late Dr. Richard Twiss will be folks I'm forever thankful for when he spoke against these issues. For real. From a Native American (Lakota) perspective, he broke things down significantly and it was very much appreciated - and his book "Rescuing Theology from the Cowboys" did an amazing job tackling the issue you're noting, especially in regards to concepts like the Doctrine of Discovery, U.S policy and the ways that Missionaries were often hijacked for political agendas while those (Christians as well) who fought for Indigenous People ended up being harmed because they brought focus back to the Founders.

On the moral rules, one would one to again go back to seeing what the Founder emphasized (Christ) since I am not certain of what moral rules you're speaking of - and if it means that there can be NO restrictions on things, that goes back to seeing what the benefit is in not accepting something. That can be discussed more in-depth in another thread, of course...but with that said, Overall, I think what you're describing in part is AMERICAN Christianity ....or Patriotic Christianity and forms of Protestant thought that did not accept scholarship or intellectual discussion (similar to what has happened in Islamic thought). A founder of a movement isn't the same as a religion built around him - nor does one strain speak for all or the original. I have issue with much of what passes for Christianity today when seeing how many don't really know what it's about when seeing where politics has hijacked much of it.

It's similar to Hip Hop. Conscious/Social Hip Hop was what Hip Hop was meant to be, but commercialization is what transformed Hip Hop culture in the radio/media to be something radically different and harmful when celebrating dehumanization of women, violence, hustling, etc. And when people still do Social Hip Hop, it's called "Underground" Hip Hop instead of Hip Hop - and the other stuff called "trash/garbage rap" for the sake of selling records instead of making REAL music.

And on what you're saying, it ties in with the thread because I've seen several times when others don't get exposure to Christianity and it causes them to take lesser forms of it in place of seeing the founder (Christ) or the background He grew up in (Judaic/Near Eastern culture) - thus leading them to have a very low awareness of the cosmology that Hebrews were exposed to. Thus, they come away thinking Christianity in caricature terms - as if there's no mystery or wonder. I watch a show like Dragon Ball and see others fascinated - but then see many think of Christianity in very boring terms...AND not even realize how epic it really is (i.e. different levels of Heavens, differing levels of authority, Cosmic Story, etc.).
So when I read about your views on the subject I find them legitimately fascinating as there seem to be others that think at least in the same vein as me in terms of universal cosmology. There's differences of religion of course and culture too, I imagine, but its admittedly pretty invigorating that at least another person understands it and can put it in to words easily.
More than understand. It's rare running into others who have the ability to 'get you' (so to speak).
Though the term sounds kind of snide I don't mean it what way: it just seemed accurate. What I mean is the degree of syncreticism which is tolerable to religious believers
I understand. Again, Dr. Richard Twiss discussed this when sharing on the various levels of syncreticism - cultural syncreticism is naturally going to happen on SOME level regardlesss. But what is brought in makes all the difference.

Using Christianity as the example: I know many Christians who believe in ghosts. At a glance that seems kind of syncretic to me and that I feel is in the "margin for tolerance", as its a pretty widespread thing that isn't exactly codified in the Bible (which from my Protestant background is taught as the only, literal documentation for Christianity) but it is more or less tolerated.

Whereas reincarnation for example, also not taught by the Bible as a part of the Christian universe, is roundly rejected as a "Hindu idea" by the average Christian. That falls outside of the "margin for tolerance" re: syncretic beliefs.

Fascinating, as I grew up believing such things and it was never seen as opposite of Scripture. King Saul spoke to the Spirit of Samuel the Prophet (although Samuel complained of being awoken from his rest) and the dead are not simply floating around somewhere. It's all over the scriptures, including Matthew 14 where the disciples thought Jesus was a Ghost when he came to them walking on water - and later, after He resurrected, he had to alert them that he was not a Spirit/Ghost since that was an accepted thought in that time (if seeing Luke 24:37). N.T Wright did an excellent job covering that in his work on the life of Christ.....called "The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is

And for other places where discussion occurred on that:
Within my own background, we were taught that all that the Scriptures show all we need to know about Christianity when it comes to essentials. However, Tradition was also a means of interpreting the Scriptures (since Tradition gave Scripture to us - another conversation in/of itself). But what you do see are issues of LEVELS on a concept.

And it's the same thing with reincarnation. One may not believe in the concept of living another life before this one - but they do accept the idea of God being outside of time and us being able to connect to Eternity (where all things have already happened) and get 'flashbacks" to moments like we lived them out before. Deja Vu comes to mind - and of course, prophesy on the future comes to mind as well. We also see the issue of Jesus coming in the Spirit of Elijah and having the same kind of Spirit - so it does get interesting. For others to consider, one can also consider the following from this brother who is a Messianic Jew within Catholicism:

There's also here:

Brother Michael Heiser also did an excellent teaching on the subject as it concerns Hellenization with Judaism and the concepts of renicarnation developing..as seen in his article called DID JESUS ALLOW FOR REINCARNATION? consists of several branches: Orthodox (traditional), Chassidic Judaism (Orthodox with influences from eastern mysticism, including belief in reincarnation -) is where the thought of reincrnation seems to come from. As one of my good friends Contra (Jewish Christian) said best, "I am a firm believer that reincarnation came into Judaism via eastern philosophy and gnosticism, which is why so many Jews have rejected it in the past. It is becoming trendy now through the influence of the Kabbalists and the easy-to-swallow religionism of the world." Reincarnation is something appealing to others who want to have a second chance in life when they feel they made mistakes in this one - and with Hindu thought, WHEN it comes to the concept of Death/Rebirth (which is central to shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender and further explored in Avatar: The Legend of Korra with Raava the Light Spirit), there are some things that make sense with the way that the Spiritual can be reconnected through family lines - I do personally believe in things like memories being passed down genetically and a degree of identity given to members in a family. .....Blessings and Curses repeated in generations - and as I believe in the Intercession of the Saints and I believe the Saints are STILL with us just as the other Avatars were with Aang, in that sense, reincarnation of something makes sense.

Within Christianity, when it comes to things such as communion with the saints, it'd seem to be a good middle-groundway of reaching those who already are open to the concept of ancestor worship AND the awareness of the saints still being present with us. In the show "Avatar" (that was referenced earlier), this was something that was often discussed when it came to previous lives/individuals still being available for giving wisdom to the hero in the show. Of course, that concept was connected with the subject of reincarnation

With the issue of iconagraphy, where pictures of previous saints that have already gone before us (including those in Hebrews 11/Hebrews 11:11 with the Hall of Faith) are placed up....with direction sought from them....is truly a troublesome view for many.

For in the view of Eastern Thought, those who've gone ahead of us are not merely elsewhere in the "Great Beyond"--but very much aware of what is happening down below. Kind of like what happens for many when Grandma died and loved ones--whether those who were believers inspired by her example to continue walking godly or those who were not saved and yet were won to the Lord by her actions/chose to dedicate their lives to Christ--- were wondering of the woman who kept the family together in Christ think "I know that Grandma is looking down upon me right now...and I hope she's proud". It's the reality that the saints are with us in spiritual connection:
Hebrews 12:1
[ God Disciplines His Sons ] Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Hebrews 12

By no means am I saying, by the way, that it's appropiate for others to act as if they can have conversations with Grandma as with what often happens when a family member dies and they say that they're still in the house and every morning they wake up they still hear that the tea pot's whistling every morning before church just like it was when she was alive/making tea for everyone.

But For anyone who has studied the book of Hebrews fully, the deceased individuals of Hebrews 11 is something I keep in mind when it comes to identifying who the "witnesses" are that're looking on toward us. What comes to my mind is not only the thought of others whose past lives of faith encourage myself to do the same and have given godly examples to follow/give motivation.....but it is also the thought of actually having a crowd up in Heaven made of heavenly saints cheering me on actively that captivates my mind.

But that is consistent with the example of Christ, as he also was seen speaking to those who were gone when it came to His mission. God allowed him a Heavenly visitation from the Saints Moses and Elijah (whom others said he came in the Spirit of) - and thus, in that system of thought, trying to have reincarnation of a past life is not a logical understanding of things.

So there is a level of acceptance to ideas that can only occur when it's consistent with the ideology of the system it exists within.

I have had many conversations with others in the world of anime when it comes to ideas outside of what's found in Ancient Christianity - or Ancient Judaism. I have to let others know with shows like DBZ or Dragon Ball that just because a mythological idea makes you think doesn't mean that it automatically becomes something to pass. It is meant to give thought to why we do things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0