Dr. Hobart Mowrer / the philosophy of atheism

WonderBeat

Jun 24, 2012
✟478.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Atheism has no philosophy. It is merely the lack of belief in deities. Period.

Post Modernism =/= atheism.

An atheist may have a philosophy. Many atheists may have many different philosophies. Not one of them is inherent to the atheist.

Nothing in the OP has anything to do with atheism.

I have to agree with El.....

What a stupid thing to say.

Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single

See, this is why atheism is such a stupid word. We would all be better off ridding ourselves of it.

Atheism means that when you say,

"God exists".

We say,

"I don't believe you".

That.
Is.
It.
Period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you do not think that life is meaningless without God, then any meaning you assign to life is only illusory Paradoxum, it is not real and is not based or founded in reality, for reality is that the universe is an accident brought about by blind random forces with no design, no purpose, no intent, no ultimate meaning, no concern.

Now, you can pretend that life is meaningful if that helps you cope with life, this is what atheists do, but pretending that life is meaningful does not make it so.

So at best, on the atheistic view, life can be meaningful only insofar as we give it our own meaning which is completely subjective.

While technically not part of this thread, I would like to respond to this post you made earlier in a different thread.

If you believe that dignity is only possible if God confers it, then of course it would seem logical that without God dignity and meaning are not possible. But that conclusion is of course contingent on the belief that (a) God exists, and (b) he is responsible for conferring meaning to the world. Obviously there are people who do not accept these theistic assumptions about the world. You are conversing with them in this very thread.

Ask Nietzsche, ask Russell, ask Dawkins, what life is, I am sure they will tell you that it ultimately is meaningless and nothingness on the atheistic worldview

And you'd be wrong. I already detailed why your interpretation of Nietzsche is flawed in a previous thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Please state in precise terms what was "stupid" about what he had said. Which points did you disagree with, and why?

Every single point he made is correct and is an opportunity for you to learn something about atheists.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you do not think that life is meaningless without God, then any meaning you assign to life is only illusory Paradoxum, it is not real and is not based or founded in reality

Mental processes are not imaginary.

Ask Nietzsche, ask Russell, ask Dawkins, what life is, I am sure they will tell you that it ultimately is meaningless and nothingness on the atheistic worldview.

Your poor track record in reading other people's minds doesn't give me any confidence in your baseless conclusion here.

So at best, on the atheistic view, life can be meaningful only insofar as we give it our own meaning which is completely subjective.

Thanks for admitting that the meaning isn't imaginary.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Care to provide any empirical evidence for this assertion?
You're using a global network of interconnected computers created by scientists and engineers to ask for evidence that naturalism has a successful track record? Come on, get serious.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you do not think that life is meaningless without God, then any meaning you assign to life is only illusory Paradoxum, it is not real and is not based or founded in reality, for reality is that the universe is an accident brought about by blind random forces with no design, no purpose, no intent, no ultimate meaning, no concern.

Ask Nietzsche, ask Russell, ask Dawkins, what life is, I am sure they will tell you that it ultimately is meaningless and nothingness on the atheistic worldview.

Now, you can pretend that life is meaningful if that helps you cope with life, this is what atheists do, but pretending that life is meaningful does not make it so.

I agree that the perception of meaningfulness is based on the meaning we place on life.

However, as one who believes in God's Omnipresence (a concept which your bible also supports), I'm persuaded that there's no such thing as life "without God". He's there whether or not one acknowledges His existence.

Just as one doesn't have to believe in air to find advantages to breathing, one doesn't have to believe in God to find advantages to existing.

This is because the reality of something isn't contingent upon the belief placed upon it, imo. It is what it is, and it do what it do, regardless of what is believed (or not) about it. :)

Upvote 0