Dr Fauci says we should never shake hands again -- POLL

Would you consider never shaking others hands again ?

• Might be a good idea

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • WOW -- never thought that we would be discussing this !

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fauci on US after coronavirus: No shaking hands ‘ever again’

Americans would be smart to carry some lessons with them into the future after the nation’s coronavirus crisis is over, according to Dr. Anthony Fauci.

“One of them is absolute compulsive hand-washing,” Fauci, a member of President Trump’s Coronavirus Task Force, said Wednesday during a Wall Street Journal podcast.

“The other,” he added, “is you don't ever shake anybody's hands. I don't think we should ever shake hands ever again, to be honest with you.”

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

From the same story but, relating to Trump.
Over the years, Trump has made numerous references to his disapproval of handshaking, calling the practice “barbaric,” “disgusting,” “very, very terrible,” and “one of the curses of American society,” Politico reported in March.

Fear should not rule and I will hug my kids regardless. But maybe we got too friendly with complete strangers and a handshake implies a trust and connection that might not be appropriate. If I risk catching plague everytime I touch someone then my circle is probably going to be smaller

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dr Dena Grayson (Ebola and Viral Pandemics Expect) agrees that hand shaking is the #1 way in which to transmit disease.

I'm sticking with the knuckle bump for most greatings.

It's impossible to think about not hugging friends and family.

Goats at this time anyway seem to be safe?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And why does Dr. Fauci want us to be paranoid?

You would have to ask him that question to get a definitive answer . Perhaps it is because he is a mysophobe himself and wants company. Telling people to forever refrain from handshakes and be obsessive in hand washing is basically telling people OCD needs to be the norm from his point of view.

OCD Symptoms

• Symptoms can be either obsessions or compulsions, or both
  • Symptoms can be mild and gradually progress in severity
  • Stress worsens the symptoms
  • Persistent, repeated and unwanted thoughts
  • Urges or images that are intrusive
  • Compulsive or ritualistic behavior to get rid of the thoughts
Complications

• Contact dermatitis from frequent hand-washing
  • Inability to attend work, school or social activities due to repetitive actions
  • Troubled family and social relationships
  • Poor quality of life
  • Suicidal thoughts and behavior

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm sticking with the knuckle bump for most greatings.
Maybe that is the best way to go, at least until there is a vaccine. I heard that a knuckle bump is only 1/10 as likely to spread germs as a handshake is, so that seems significant. And all the alternatives that have been suggested (bowing, for instance) seem unlikely to catch on.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They would basically be throwing out 100's of years of social etiquette just in the effort to avoid spreading infectious diseases. Won't work.
When greeting people, do you kiss them on the cheek? Because I believe for a long time that was a quite common way of greeting people--and in fact some countries still do that (well, or did before the Coronavirus). Maybe, in fact, you still do that... but the point is that if people can stop doing that, people can stop doing handshakes. Quite frankly I've tried to avoid handshakes even before the Coronavirus because it's a great way to spread germs, instead preferring to hold up my hand in greeting, so I'd be totally happy if the Coronavirus means an end to that.

Stop taking advice on how to live from the government and just follow the guidance of the bible. That is the ultimate source that is truly worth following.
So where does the Bible say we should perform handshakes? Some translations, like the NIV, use the phrase "shake hands in pledge" for Proverbs 6:1, 11:15, 17:18, 22:26 (I believe a more literal translation is "striking hands" which means to make a pledge), but even if we accept that translation, in those cases it is actually criticizing those who shake hands in pledge to strangers. So either the Bible makes no reference to hand shakes or it makes reference, but only in criticism.

In contrast, the Bible not only has multiple references to people kissing as a greeting (e.g. Exodus 4:7, 1 Samuel 10:1, 2 Samuel 15:5, Acts 20:36-37) it in fact suggests to believers that they should greet each other with holy kisses (Romans 16:16, 1 Corinthians 16:20, 2 Corinthians 13:12, 1 Thessalonians 5:26, 1 Peter 5:14).

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When greeting people, do you kiss them on the cheek? Because I believe for a long time that was a quite common way of greeting people--and in fact some countries still do that (well, or did before the Coronavirus). Maybe, in fact, you still do that... but the point is that if people can stop doing that, people can stop doing handshakes. Quite frankly I've tried to avoid handshakes even before the Coronavirus because it's a great way to spread germs, instead preferring to hold up my hand in greeting, so I'd be totally happy if the Coronavirus means an end to that.

So where does the Bible say we should perform handshakes? Some translations, like the NIV, use the phrase "shake hands in pledge" for Proverbs 6:1, 11:15, 17:18, 22:26 (I believe a more literal translation is "striking hands" which means to make a pledge), but even if we accept that translation, in those cases it is actually criticizing those who shake hands in pledge to strangers. So either the Bible makes no reference to hand shakes or it makes reference, but only in criticism.

In contrast, the Bible not only has multiple references to people kissing as a greeting (e.g. Exodus 4:7, 1 Samuel 10:1, 2 Samuel 15:5, Acts 20:36-37) it in fact suggests to believers that they should greet each other with holy kisses (Romans 16:16, 1 Corinthians 16:20, 2 Corinthians 13:12, 1 Thessalonians 5:26, 1 Peter 5:14).
When I say we should stop taking advice from the government and follow guidance from the bible is a general statement, not specific to handshaking, or the like. Of course, any physical contact is going to spread bacteria and germs, but that is why God gave us immune systems, isn't it?

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They would basically be throwing out 100's of years of social etiquette just in the effort to avoid spreading infectious diseases. Won't work. As we have seen this particular disease is not just passed by physical touch, it is airborne too. So, to follow his reasoning to its logical conclusion we should just all wear masks all the time. The germaphobes out there can certainly go this route, but the general populous will live life as we always have.

What I find amazing all the double-speak coming different areas of the government and from the likes of Bill Gates, who will continue to push vaccines under the guise of wanting to eradicate disease while at the same time what they are really doing is pushing forward their agenda of population control.

Stop taking advice on how to live from the government and just follow the guidance of the bible. That is the ultimate source that is truly worth following.
Does it say in scripture that we should have to shake hands?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
that is why God gave us immune systems, isn't it?

Well, in most cases the answer would be yes but, it also depends on the strength of our immune systems. Some people hardly never catch a cold even though many in their families have colds while exposed to the same people and conditions.

With CV it appears that no matter your immune system -- get too close and you got it. The strong and healthy 30 to 40 year olds are in the high CV count group. Why? Because they are out getting in touch with others more often.

M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You would have to ask him that question to get a definitive answer . Perhaps it is because he is a mysophobe himself and wants company. Telling people to forever refrain from handshakes and be obsessive in hand washing is basically telling people OCD needs to be the norm from his point of view.

OCD Symptoms

• Symptoms can be either obsessions or compulsions, or both
  • Symptoms can be mild and gradually progress in severity
  • Stress worsens the symptoms
  • Persistent, repeated and unwanted thoughts
  • Urges or images that are intrusive
  • Compulsive or ritualistic behavior to get rid of the thoughts
Complications

• Contact dermatitis from frequent hand-washing
  • Inability to attend work, school or social activities due to repetitive actions
  • Troubled family and social relationships
  • Poor quality of life
  • Suicidal thoughts and behavior
But you were the one who said he “seems to want” people to be paranoid, not him.

what evidence is there that he is a “mysophobe”?

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, in most cases the answer would be yes but, it also depends on the strength of our immune systems. Some people hardly never catch a cold even though many in their families have colds while exposed to the same people and conditions.

With CV it appears that no matter your immune system -- get too close and you got it. The strong and healthy 30 to 40 year olds are in the high CV count group. Why? Because they are out getting in touch with others more often.

M-Bob
Ah, but there are ways to boost your immune system with certain vitamins and other natural options. This is why over 98% of people who actually get the virus survive it. Only those who either already had a compromised immune system, or took drugs like ibuprofen, Tamiflu, codeine, and the like have died from it.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status