Dr. Burzynski's relatively natural treatment for cancer!

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I did some further research on the good doctor and found this post in Science Based Medicine.

I have to say that is a through examination of the movie and the clinic.

I am impressed that you are doing research on this Paulos23 but if you go a little further you will find out that the author of the article you give the link to is also the author of the following blog. His lack of objectivity is pretty obvious!

Respectful Insolence - "A STATEMENT OF FACT CANNOT BE INSOLENT." THE MISCELLANEOUS RAMBLINGS OF A SURGEON/SCIENTIST ON MEDICINE, QUACKERY, SCIENCE, PSEUDOSCIENCE, HISTORY, AND PSEUDOHISTORY (AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT INTERESTS HIM

Orac – Respectful Insolence

Orac is the nom de blog of a humble surgeon/scientist who has an ego just big enough to delude himself that someone, somewhere might actually give a rodent's posterior about his copious verbal meanderings, but just barely small enough to admit to himself that few probably will. That surgeon is otherwise known as David Gorski.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Also, looking through the article Dennis Tate's claims of "essentially no negative side effects" made in post #43 is patently untrue. There are quite a few listed in the NCI summary.

Good point but anemia, dizziness, drowsiness and some instances of vomiting can hardly be compared with the side effects of chemo and radiation!

I can't remember if it was the book "Beyond The Barriers," or perhaps "Twice Pardoned" but the author Harold Morris pretty much convinced me that I would rather die than go through the chemo - radiation response to cancer!??!

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
Good point but anemia, dizziness, drowsiness and some instances of vomiting can hardly be compared with the side effects of chemo and radiation!
Depends on the antineoplastin. AS2-1 seems to have more severe side-effects.

Just as the side effects of chemo and ratiation depend on the type of chemo or radiation and the type of cancer. These treatements have come a long way, and many of these are much more targeted and because of that have much less side effects than they had 10 to 15 years ago

I can't remember if it was the book "Beyond The Barriers," or perhaps "Twice Pardoned" but the author Harold Morris pretty much convinced me that I would rather die than go through the chemo - radiation response to cancer!??!
You can always refuse treatment, which in many cases means you will likely die. Personally, if it gives me another year with chances of giving me two years or more, I'll take three months of chemo with severe side effects. \

You have to understand that oncologists will generally weigh the severity of the expected side effects against the expected increase in life expectancy and quality of life. You seem to be under the impression that chemo and radiation treatments are just given willy-nilly whenever they discover cancer. This is not the case.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
I am impressed that you are doing research on this Paulos23 but if you go a little further you will find out that the author of the article you give the link to is also the author of the following blog. His lack of objectivity is pretty obvious!

Respectful Insolence - "A STATEMENT OF FACT CANNOT BE INSOLENT." THE MISCELLANEOUS RAMBLINGS OF A SURGEON/SCIENTIST ON MEDICINE, QUACKERY, SCIENCE, PSEUDOSCIENCE, HISTORY, AND PSEUDOHISTORY (AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT INTERESTS HIM

Orac – Respectful Insolence

You have yet to show that he is actually wrong. Ascertaining possible bias is one thing, but you have to actually show that this bias makes the arguments that the author makes invalid. Just shouting "bias!" is not enough.

So far, you have failed to show Orac is actually wrong. I have also yet to see you show he has an à priori bias against Burzynski, rather than a dislike of the guy due to his unethical way of working. Which you have yet to comment on, by the way.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You have yet to show that he is actually wrong. Ascertaining possible bias is one thing, but you have to actually show that this bias makes the arguments that the author makes invalid. Just shouting "bias!" is not enough.

So far, you have failed to show Orac is actually wrong. I have also yet to see you show he has an à priori bias against Burzynski, rather than a dislike of the guy due to his unethical way of working. Which you have yet to comment on, by the way.

So far as his being somewhat biased goes:

Even more irritating, Burzynski is arrogant enough to claim that he is, in essence, the originator of the concept of personalized, gene-targeted medicine, and that big cancer centers like M.D. Anderson, Memorial Sloan-Kettering, and the like are only now following the trail that he blazed.

As much as I do try to get away from Burzynski from time to time, I couldn’t help but think of that smirking, arrogant face pontificating about his genius and bragging about his incompetently administered personalized medicine as I read yesterday’s New York Times article about what real cancer centers are doing to try to develop personalized cancer therapy. Contrast this with Burzynski’s rinky-dink operation:
Is there gold in that thar genomic medicine? – Respectful Insolence

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

As to whether or not Orac is wrong:

News

"A phase II study also conducted by the developer and his associates at his clinic reported on 12 patients with recurrent and diffuse intrinsic brain stem glioma. Of the ten patients who were evaluable, two achieved complete tumor response, three had partial tumor response, three had stable disease, and two had progressive disease. Patients ranged in age from 4 to 29 years."

A brainstem glioma has never been cured in medical history. The NCI just acknowledged and advertised two of those cures—also citing that 10 of the 12 brainstem glioma patients had a "positive response" to ANP therapy.

The NCI showed the courage to publish the dosage levels and everything!

Upvote 0

Rumtopf

Apr 24, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Atheist
I found this thread as a pingback from Orac's blog and wanted to leave a relative link but lack the post count. Google "The Other Burzynski Patient Group", it should be the top result.

I see the OP is partial to testimonies, so this is definitely worth reading. Specifically the parts where each patient is told more or less the same thing about their growing tumours(that are dying in their centres due to lack of blood flow as the tumour grows), as if scripted, and the news is always positive(!). It also totally shoots down the claims that Burzynski's chemotherapy doesn't come with drastic side effects, like the need to excessively drink water and visit the bathroom throughout the night, which is incredibly exhausting(being hooked up to a pump for most of the day isn't fun either). Injecting that much sodium is in no way close to "relatively natural"; patients have been hospitalised because of this treatment.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Orac - Respectful Insolence

But you still haven't address any of the points made in the article. Your hand waving it away because you don't like the guy. Can you show what he says is wrong? Can you refute it?

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As to whether or not Orac is wrong:

News

I keep seeing them say that brainstem gliomas have never been cured. They go out of their way to say "complete response" as if that were the same thing, but it doesn't appear to be. For some types of brainstem gliomas I'm seeing pretty long term survival rates: Brainstem gliomas in adults: prognostic factors and cl... [Brain. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Cancer isn't generally said to be "cured", but rather be in remission.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I found this thread as a pingback from Orac's blog and wanted to leave a relative link but lack the post count. Google "The Other Burzynski Patient Group", it should be the top result.

I see the OP is partial to testimonies, so this is definitely worth reading. Specifically the parts where each patient is told more or less the same thing about their growing tumours(that are dying in their centres due to lack of blood flow as the tumour grows), as if scripted, and the news is always positive(!). It also totally shoots down the claims that Burzynski's chemotherapy doesn't come with drastic side effects, like the need to excessively drink water and visit the bathroom throughout the night, which is incredibly exhausting(being hooked up to a pump for most of the day isn't fun either). Injecting that much sodium is in no way close to "relatively natural"; patients have been hospitalised because of this treatment.

Thank you for this tip Rumtopf!

This is certainly an excellent write up on the negative side effects!

The OTHER Burzynski Patient Group | 35 years is long enough.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for this tip Rumtopf!

This is certainly an excellent write up on the negative side effects!

The OTHER Burzynski Patient Group | 35 years is long enough.

I actually feel a lot better about this thread having seen you post that. I find the other independent trials to be FAR more damning than that blog about some list of failed treatments.

Your willingness to address said list speaks volumes to your desire to approach this in an even handed and logical way. I will say that your elevation of case studies above clinical results says to me that you are unfamiliar with weighing the relative worth of evidence types though.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[serious];62919026 said:
I actually feel a lot better about this thread having seen you post that. I find the other independent trials to be FAR more damning than that blog about some list of failed treatments.

Your willingness to address said list speaks volumes to your desire to approach this in an even handed and logical way. I will say that your elevation of case studies above clinical results says to me that you are unfamiliar with weighing the relative worth of evidence types though.

If my wife and I were diagnosed with cancer next week, I would contact the Burzynski clinic and I would try to arrange to go there as opposed to taking radiation and chemo.

On the other hand I would probably spend a hundred or two each month on glyconutrients as Dr. Ben Carson did when he found that he had prostate cancer!

I would be unlikely to depend one hundred percent on anti-neoplastons...but I would prefer them over chemo + radiation!

A reprint from Dallas Weekly, February 2004 features Dr. Benjamin Carson and his experience with glyconutrients.

Dallas Weekly Reprint - The Healing of the Healer Dr. Benjamin Solomon Carson Sr., one of the worlds leading physicians, says that glyconutrients helped save his life and should become a complementary component ofour healthcare system. Dr. Benjamin Solomon Carson Sr., the world famous director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore has risen to the very top of the medical profession.

Three years ago, Time Magazine and CNN named him one of the top twenty doctors in America. In 1987 he was the lead surgeon in the twenty-two hour operation that separated the heads of the Binder Siamese twins from Germany. It was the first such operation in which both twins survived.

But in the summer of 2003 Dr. Carson was diagnosed with prostate cancer and despite three decades of saving the lives of others, he came face to face with the staggering possibility of his own death.

“It was a shock,” said Dr. Carson, a professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery and pediatrics at Johns Hopkins. “I had been living a healthy lifestyle and getting regular check-ups. But I had high grade cancer in a very aggressive form.”

And yet, at fifty-three years of age, Dr. Carson was not ready to leave his wife, Candy, and their three sons behind. And with the same strength and determination that his mother, Sonya Carson, imparted to him and his brother while she raised them alone in inner city neighborhoods in Detroit and Boston, he sought an answer that would continue his life.

“I had a friend who was diagnosed with cancer who was given three months to live,” said Dr. Carson in his Johns Hopkins office. “He changed his diet and pursued proper nutrition. He was still around and doing well. As a result I started to look at nutritional supplements.”

The father of one of Dr. Carson’s patients told him about a ten year-old company based in Coppell, Texas which had secured world-wide patent rights to a food supplement known as a glyconutrient. The parent suggested to Dr. Carson that he contact them.

After contacting the company, Dr. Carson was surprised by the amount of science they provided. “I was impressed that they did not make any wild medical claims,” he said. The majority of their science pointed to how glyconutrients supported the body’s normal functions of regeneration and repair.

Dr. Carson then contacted Dr. Reg McDaniel, an authority in glyconutrients and medical director of Manna Relief Inc., an Arlington, Texas based charity that makes glyconutrients available to medically fragile children around the world. Dr. McDaniel, who had studied the health benefits of Glyconutrients for two decades, shared his experiences with Dr. Carson. “The science made sense to me,” Dr. Carson said. “God gave us (in plants) what we need to remain healthy,” he said. “In today’s world our food chain is depleted of nutrients and our environment has helped destroy what God gave us.”

Through dietary supplementation, one of the most significant doctors in the history of Medicine decided to support his immune system with glyconutrients. And almost immediately he saw abatement in his condition.

“I had been experiencing some urinary tract problems. The problems went away within four weeks after I started taking the glyconutrients,” he said. “I began to think that I did not need to have surgery or any other type of treatment. I seriously considered not having any type of procedure. I thought I could beat the cancer by supporting my body through glyconutritional supplementation.”

Dr. Carson said his decision to eventually have a medical procedure resulted from his concern for those people who might neglect traditional medical procedures because they had learned of his personal experience with supplements.

“It had gotten out that I had prostate cancer,” said the high profile doctor. “I knew that other people with my condition might not have been as religious about taking the supplements as I had been.”

Dr. Carson was told that his recovery after the surgery would be arduous and that he would not be able to return to work for six weeks. “Because of my experience with glyconutrients I was able to return to work in three weeks,” he said.

He continues to take the supplements and suggests that others who are concerned with optimal health take them. “I do not seeglyconutrients as unnatural,” he said. “I see them as complementary to traditional medicine. Dietary supplements should become an integral part of health care in this country.” A voracious reader of medical and scientific literature, Dr. Carson said that he concurred with an article in the February 2003 issue of Technology Review, a publication associated with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, that named glycomics as “one of ten emerging technologies that would change the world.”

“There is a growing trend by consumers to want to blend traditional and complementary medicines,” stated Dr. Carson. He said that it was significant that the National Institutes of Health had granted millions of dollars to researchers to investigate alternative and complementary medicines. “The day is coming when the science will be behind them.”
glyconutrientsarevital.blogspot.ca/2006/08/dr-ben-carson-glyconutrients.html

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[serious];62919026 said:

True...."I am no expert on weighing the relative worth of evidence types"......but something that I heard on the film and ran into again on the articles that I read on the Burzynski treatments is that he and his team learned that low levels of anti-neoplasatons just don't work on many types of cancer. Apparently the studies in Japan had the problem of simply using too small a doses of anti-neoplastons to actually knock out the cancers.

Of course there is some value in those types of trials....but the lesson needs to be learned and the same mistake needs to be avoided in the future.

In the film there was a major reference to one study in which Dr. Burzynski was cut out of the loop and received no updates. Later on it was found out that the levels of anti-neoplastons used was only 30% or less of what needed to be used to actually reduce the type of tumors being treated in that study.

Under the circumstances Dr. Burzynski logically questions if this was done deliberately because apparently an attempt was being set up to separate him from his invention!!!!!!?????

A former head of the FDA made statements that he personally would never approve a drug for a private individual such as Dr. Burzynski. Dr. Burzynski on the other hand fears that his invention may simply be put on the shelf as many other promising remedies are not being researched if some reason is found as to why a company cannot clearly patent them and earn billions later on!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[serious];62919026 said:

Thank you serious!

I am curious what you think of this post:

Originally Posted by conamer
There is no question that the Cancer industry/FDA are in it to prevent independent cancer treatments. My first wife went to that clinic in Houston, but as with many who seek other treatments, she was too far gone from the chemo that poisoned her. The doctor who was treating her did stop until the last few weeks of her life. I was angry as all get-up. Finally a nurse asked her, "Why are you here?" In other words, it's a waste of time and money. At least she had the courage to be blunt the doctor didn't give a rip, as long as he kept getting paid.

Ralph Moss was the first author that clued me in on "The Cancer Industry". A friend of mine was going to go to Burzynski's clinic last year but they were shut down again by the FDA.

By the way, our doctor recommended Burzynski, she lost her little girl to cancer and her father was being treated there who had lung cancer.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7732700-3/
Do you suspect that natural inexpensive cancer treatments are suppressed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you serious!

I am curious what you think of this post:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7732700-3/
Do you suspect that natural inexpensive cancer treatments are suppressed?

Due to my time working in EMS, I'm a big believer in hospice care when appropriate. There is a time to fight and struggle to live, but there is a time to accept your lot and pour a glass of whiskey and toast to the life you've lived.

While you struggle, the fight should be determined by what is most likely to prolong your life. When the fight is done, do whatever brings you comfort.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[serious];62958801 said:
Due to my time working in EMS, I'm a big believer in hospice care when appropriate. There is a time to fight and struggle to live, but there is a time to accept your lot and pour a glass of whiskey and toast to the life you've lived.

While you struggle, the fight should be determined by what is most likely to prolong your life. When the fight is done, do whatever brings you comfort.

Yes, I too am not so sure that I would go all out to prolong life as long as possible.

All those NDE accounts that I read have gotten me to the place where i don't fear death all that much!!

This article is kind of encouraging!

Treating cancer with radioactive bacteria: Three wrongs make a right | The Economist

Treating cancer with radioactive bacteria
Three wrongs make a right

A surprising new way to kill tumours

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A couple of years before first my wife died of cancer, she stopped going to her ACS support group. It was because they were all dead. Cancer is hideous, it doesn't mean the treatments should be a bad or worse. What ever happened to "First do no harm."?

Yes!

This is one of the major reasons why Americans and Canadians should have their freedom to choose Dr. Burzynski's anti-neoplastons over conventional treatments or to combine orthodox treatments with some of the more natural methods if we wish!

Physicians should not be discouraged from letting their patients know about all the options that are available.

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I too am not so sure that I would go all out to prolong life as long as possible.

All those NDE accounts that I read have gotten me to the place where i don't fear death all that much!!

This article is kind of encouraging!

Treating cancer with radioactive bacteria: Three wrongs make a right | The Economist

Treating cancer with radioactive bacteria
Three wrongs make a right

A surprising new way to kill tumours

The delivery system doesn't seem particularly well targeted as of yet, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that they could eventually get the bacteria to more exclusively target the tumors while not building up in the liver and kidneys.

If in 30 years their research hasn't produced any verifiable results though, it's probably junk.

Upvote 0