Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Watched this last Friday night. It bombed spectacularly at the box office--didn't even make the production budget.

I can see why--I'm glad I didn't spend big bucks at the theater on it.

Yet, I appreciate it. Only at the end (well, after thinking about later) did I realize the movie is actually kind of a Pilgrim's Progress. And only at the very end does the pilgrim's guide reveal that she's a Christian.

Interestingly, it seems only Asians get to be Christians and still be good guys in the media these days.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Watched this last Friday night. It bombed spectacularly at the box office--didn't even make the production budget.

I can see why--I'm glad I didn't spend big bucks at the theater on it.

Yet, I appreciate it. Only at the end (well, after thinking about later) did I realize the movie is actually kind of a Pilgrim's Progress. And only at the very end does the pilgrim's guide reveal that she's a Christian.

Interestingly, it seems only Asians get to be Christians and still be good guys in the media these days.
I don't see very many movies.. but I looked at the wiki page on the movie you are discussing and was reminded of a book I read back in the 70s:
The Micronauts by Gordon Williams.. which had a similar theme to the 'downsizing' described in the article about your movie.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see very many movies.. but I looked at the wiki page on the movie you are discussing and was reminded of a book I read back in the 70s:
The Micronauts by Gordon Williams.. which had a similar theme to the 'downsizing' described in the article about your movie.

That's the "big idea" of the movie, but the plot is that the lead character has been spinning his wheels, and continues to spin his wheels as the movie progresses--his life is meaningless.

Yet, it shows from the beginning that he is a man with the gift of "helps"--his nature is that when he sees someone who needs help, he wants to give it, but he doesn't recognize it in himself. Until he does realize it, he continues to spin his wheels.

In the end, he realizes he needs to give his life to find his life.

Hmm. Yeah, I guess nobody wants to pay money for a movie with a message like that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That seems like an overstatement. I think Christian African Americans are still considered acceptable. And maybe the Amish.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That seems like an overstatement. I think Christian African Americans are still considered acceptable.

Not really. Smarmy hypocrites, if anything.

And maybe the Amish.

Not that we see the Amish in entertainment media much.

But the family in "Rich Crazy Asians" are Methodists. The family in "Fresh Off the Boat" have been revealed as Christians. And the Vietnamese woman in "Downsizing" is revealed as Christian.

Upvote 0