Visit site
✟1,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i'm suprised no one else has posted what i hear is the first Gold for Australia in the winter olympics... didn't anyone see the auzzie man win the short track. WOW, congrats.... i met a missionary girl from australia yesterday and she was ranting and raving and having a great time... more power to ya... (that short track stuff is rough :D )

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
From what I hear there is some controversy over that medal as well.

Apparently they had to call the judge in to make the final call. It seems that the Korean skater appeared to "tackle" the American skater and caused the crash. The judge had to make a call on how the race was to be decided. The judge said the race results were going to stand. The controversy is the judge was Austrailian.

I don't know anything for sure, this is just what I heard on Talk Radio this morning.

In my opinion I don't think the Olympics should continue, or at least that the US should continue to participate. The Olympic commitee does not think the US should be allowed to host the games any more, because we are too patriotic. This is the first year that the Olympic committee did not allow the Boy Scouts to volunteer at the games in something like 100 years. The reason is because the Boy Scouts don't allow homosexuals to join. There is a question on the "buying" of judges.

I have not watched the Olympics this year and I will never again. I think it would be a powerful statement if the US said, "Enough!", we should back out of the olympics completely. Then we see how far the Olympics go without its biggest supporter.

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I actually saw the race. It was not what anyone expected at all.

One skater slid and fell way out of the way. Then I think the Korean went down and took out the American (Apolo Anton Ohno) and one other skater. The only one left standing was the Austrailian who won the gold. Ohno tried to get up and he wound up getting his skate across the line (which is what you have to do to have it be considered a finished race) and won the silver.

The judges then had to decide whether they award the medals based on who got across the line (either standing or sliding) or to re-run the race.

They chose to do the first choice.

I don't know whether it was the right call or not. But that's just what I saw when I was watching it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marmaladePRO

Dec 17, 2001
Medicine Hat Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟1,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
so they're is a question as to wether or not the aussie *earned* that gold medal in short track? i don't see that, it wasn't a blarring rush to pass all racers but, hey, it's opportunistic at its best, he ws they're you recall, i liked how ohno put it... it's one race and anything can happen;)
regardless of the outcome... it was a great race to watch... Gold for Australia ta'boot :)

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It really was a good race...even though I'm not a big fan of short track. The touching the floor, not being able to pass while rounding corners....it's just a hard sport for me to get all excited about. The other kind of speed skating, where the 2 skaters are in tracks....that one I can get into a bit more.

But it still was a good race...and a great medal ceremony afterwards. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ClieGuy

Jan 26, 2002
Visit site
✟274.00
Originally posted by Droobie
What about curling? Now doesn't that set the blood boiling!

Way too much action for me in this sport. I prefer to watch a tamer sport like hockey.

Watching those folks sweep the ice chips with those brooms just keeps reminding me that I have chores to do.

Upvote 0