Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I love my AR but up here we can't hunt with ARs, they are classed as "Restricted" so it is only a range gun. I had an old Remington 78 in .223; they came with a medium weight barrel, and i'm out of shape so it's to heavy to hunt with and has therefore been a range gun too.

I put it up for sale or trade for a 17 HMR, my asking price was $600.00; I had a lot of offers for various trades, two of which were for 17 HMR; one was a Marlin Stainless bolt with laminate stock and a nice scope; virtually new (really pretty rifle); the other was for a brand new in the box CZ455 Canadian Edition with the standard profile barrel. These CZs retail for $600.00 + up here. I have a Tasco varmint scope in 6 x 24 x 42 that I took off the 78. I went for the CZ.

Capture.PNG

Despite getting rained out, it is quite a shooter! If I get out to the range today, I will get some photos of my rig.

Anyone else using .17 of any type?

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Pictures of the Rifle; as mentioned, l got caught in the rain last time out. The black background stain from the etched areas of the stock was water soluble, and made a heck of a mess; CZ had had issues with this, and are replacing my stock on warranty.
Capture4 - Copy.PNG
Capture5.PNG
. Anyway, here are some pictures:

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It looks like a Mauser action?
The safety looks like a Swedish Mauser; but the bolt is set up somewhat differently. The 455 is their newest design for their Rimfire Rifles. Similar bolt to the old Brno (this is a new Brno; however, they still use the Brno name on their shot-guns); with improved trigger system; but in some European countries, gun ownership is regulated numerically. These have barrels that can be swapped out for .22 LR; .22 WMR and 17HMR. In Canada, they don't sell many barrel kits, but they are available for about $200.00, in the US about 120-150 for a barrel, mag combo.

The bolt is smooth!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I should have caught that! Clear, concise, eloquent and intelligent. Canadian for sure,eh?

Well I guess it could be eloquent, if you are comparing it to an Australian who was raised in the Outback by kangaroos and was recently mauled by a bunch of Koalas. :p

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Brno? That brings to mind the old bren light machine gun. It was based on a Brno design as modified by Enfield for the British Army. Probably the best LMG used by the allies in WW2.

Great weapon…

Except for that God awful calibre and misplaced magazine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Great weapon…

Except for that God awful calibre and misplaced magazine.
The .303 has accounted for one ship-load of dead medium and large game world wide. It is still a phenomenally accurate cartridge. Sometimes we are too quick to let go old calibers for the flavor of the week.

Not long ago, a guy was blowing about his 6.5 creedmoore being such a superior round to anything else out there; yet with light to moderate weight bullets, the .260 Remington out performs it; with heavier bullets, the 6.5 x 55 out performs it. How is it better?; it is just newer.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The .303 has accounted for one ship-load of dead medium and large game world wide. It is still a phenomenally accurate cartridge. Sometimes we are too quick to let go old calibers for the flavor of the week.

Not long ago, a guy was blowing about his 6.5 creedmoore being such a superior round to anything else out there; yet with light to moderate weight bullets, the .260 Remington out performs it; with heavier bullets, the 6.5 x 55 out performs it. How is it better?; it is just newer.

I was just kidding about the .303. I used to have a pretty good condition SMLE and Swedish Mauser. I wish I still had them but when you are a 20ish something kid in the US and bullets are hard to find I got rid of them.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My father served as an infantryman in WW1. They trained for the "mad minute" competition with the Lee Enfield. A full mag of 10 rounds plus two 5 round clips, prone position, 100 yards in one minute. My father was the regimental champion with 18 bulls and 2 inners. Man! That is some shooting! He declined being made a sniper. The British Expeditionary Force to France in 1914 was trained the same way. When the Germans first met them in action they reported back "every man has a machine gun".

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was just kidding about the .303. I used to have a pretty good condition SMLE and Swedish Mauser. I wish I still had them but when you are a 20ish something kid in the US and bullets are hard to find I got rid of them.
For me, Swedish Mausers are my greatest regret also. Back in the early '80s I bought 3 for $75.00 each, brand new in the grease, wrapped in translucent wax paper; proofed at the factory, but unfired since. Sold two, gave one away as a gift. I should have bough 100, and kept them. The few that show up in that condition now sell for $800 and up.

I was an idiot.

Upvote 0