Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something I joke about when introducing a new muffin recipe (not this one!) in my new cookbook out this fall is the gap between the muffins we gaze at in a coffee shop case and those we make at home. Why is one towering, glossy and plush and the ones I make for breakfast so… beige? I mean, I do know. When I’m the one baking the muffins, I balk at all of the refined sugar, flour, and oil needed to make them that pretty. So I stuff them with oats and dried fruit and whole-grain everything and then yes, they’re heavy and beige. But as I was staring at these beauties at my local bagel shop the other morning, I decided: enough.

52077721441_8b9e67c36e_n.jpg
52078214200_8a281808a2_n.jpg

Sometimes you need a chocolate muffin that’s hardly even pretending that it’s not just cake. Sure, it’s got yogurt in it. Sure, the sweetness is held in check. But I decided that I needed a recipe in my repertoire for a chocolate muffin as pretty as I’m tempted to buy for the days only a dark chocolate muffin will do. It was a very good idea; not a single person in my family has minded as I tested and retested these to get them exactly right for us. They fit all of my baking rules: they’re one-bowl, use no fussy ingredients, and even pass the left-it-out-on-the-counter-overnight test. The muffins are still shockingly plush (even if, of course, a touch more dry) in the morning. Finally, you can reduce your commitment level easily: halved, it makes six muffins. I hope they set your week off perfectly.

Continued below.
double chocolate chip muffins

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Something I joke about when introducing a new muffin recipe (not this one!) in my new cookbook out this fall is the gap between the muffins we gaze at in a coffee shop case and those we make at home. Why is one towering, glossy and plush and the ones I make for breakfast so… beige? I mean, I do know. When I’m the one baking the muffins, I balk at all of the refined sugar, flour, and oil needed to make them that pretty. So I stuff them with oats and dried fruit and whole-grain everything and then yes, they’re heavy and beige. But as I was staring at these beauties at my local bagel shop the other morning, I decided: enough.

52077721441_8b9e67c36e_n.jpg
52078214200_8a281808a2_n.jpg

Sometimes you need a chocolate muffin that’s hardly even pretending that it’s not just cake. Sure, it’s got yogurt in it. Sure, the sweetness is held in check. But I decided that I needed a recipe in my repertoire for a chocolate muffin as pretty as I’m tempted to buy for the days only a dark chocolate muffin will do. It was a very good idea; not a single person in my family has minded as I tested and retested these to get them exactly right for us. They fit all of my baking rules: they’re one-bowl, use no fussy ingredients, and even pass the left-it-out-on-the-counter-overnight test. The muffins are still shockingly plush (even if, of course, a touch more dry) in the morning. Finally, you can reduce your commitment level easily: halved, it makes six muffins. I hope they set your week off perfectly.

Continued below.
double chocolate chip muffins

Yum!

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0