Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yone else noticed how the political protests in Wisconsin -- as well as the game of hide and seek there -- have turned the political rhetoric upside down? A year ago, during the health-care fight in Washington, Democrats maintained that elections have consequences. Now it’s the Republicans in power in Wisconsin (and elsewhere) who are saying this. A year ago, Republicans complained of partisan legislation being quickly crammed through the system (though that process took an entire year), and now it’s Democrats who are voicing this complaint in Wisconsin. And a year ago, Republicans used every parliamentary trick in the book (cloture, votes up until Christmas Eve) to stop or slow down the health-care legislation. Now we’re seeing the Democrats use what’s at their disposal (like fleeing to Illinois to deny a quorum) to stop or slow down the legislation in Wisconsin. Bottom line: Those in political power do every thing they can to pass their priorities, and those out of power do every thing they can to stop them.

Interesting piece that puts things in perspective. I remember year or so ago Republicans were crying bloody foul for Dems trying to force partisan legislation that was on their agenda. Now Republicans are forcing partisan legislation in Wisconsin, and the Dems are crying bloody foul.

I remember distinctly thinking that when the tables were turned, both sides would all of a sudden be for the things they were against, and be against the things they were for. Well they've turned and I was right.

Oh the hypocrisy of it all! I'd love to see a few principled politicians from any side.

J

jamesrwright3

Interesting piece that puts things in perspective. I remember year or so ago Republicans were crying bloody foul for Dems trying to force partisan legislation that was on their agenda. Now Republicans are forcing partisan legislation in Wisconsin, and the Dems are crying bloody foul.

I remember distinctly thinking that when the tables were turned, both sides would all of a sudden be for the things they were against, and be against the things they were for. Well they've turned and I was right.

Oh the hypocrisy of it all! I'd love to see a few principled politicians from any side.

This would be funny if it were not so sad. The Republicans didn't cut and run. They showed up for work. They used the rules that were available to them. The Democrats are using totally dishonest and disreputable tactics. That is why the State Patrol is out looking for them to force them to come back.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This would be funny if it were not so sad. The Republicans didn't cut and run. They showed up for work. They used the rules that were available to them. The Democrats are using totally dishonest and disreputable tactics. That is why the State Patrol is out looking for them to force them to come back.

I agree the Dems should have stayed. Sure they'll argue "The voters wanted change, but not this change!!" But at the core of it its not different than when Republicans were crying bloody foul with Dems were forcing legislation.

Upvote 0

Notamonkey

Dec 17, 2007
Mount Morris, MI
✟9,153.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree the Dems should have stayed. Sure they'll argue "The voters wanted change, but not this change!!" But at the core of it its not different than when Republicans were crying bloody foul with Dems were forcing legislation.

Other than running there is no core of it. Repubs aren't bribing, or behind closed doors and saying "Why read the bill?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums