Don't you feel uneasy when reciting the "hail Mary, full of grace"?

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I discovered this morning how mechanical my prayer was, for I used to recite the "hail Mary", without realizing how cheeky and uncalled-for it is to ask her to pray for us at the hour of our death, if we consider the "our Father" as the heart of Her praying the Father. If so, I actually realized I was asking for Her to ask for me, sinner, mercy for those trespasses of mine that led or lead to Her son's suffering and crucifixion. How cruel it is to ask a mother for God to make the gift of His daily bread (the life of Her son), when we make this life die from daily sinning afterwards without even fully noticing it.
These disturbing thoughts, at least I hope, will boost my efforts to endeavour and try to conform to my christian aspiration to eradicate sin, in a likewise transformation as that that brought about Saul's conversion. I share this hope with you, which may be someone will find relevant, and which may be will bring you the joy of a christian growth form. May be too, could you give your feeling as for if the cruelty inflicted to Mary is actual or not. Since this morning, I have indeed the impression the gift of Jesus to sinners is like the gift of a baby to crocodils, and the forgiveness of sinners is like the forgiveness of crocodils who have eaten the baby. And this gift, and this forgiveness we ask Mary, her mother, to pray for..

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Nope.
If Gabriel being an archangel could say those words so can I.
As for her intersession, guess what we believe in the communion of the saints.
In Catholicism unlike some parts of Protestantism we believe in Christ. When he says no-one who believes in him will ever die nor perish we find it trustworthy.

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If Gabriel being an archangel could say those words so can I.
Could you be more explicit, please?

As for her intersession, guess what we believe in the communion of the saints.
May be I'm just an 11 hour worker, sorry for that.

In Catholicism unlike some parts of Protestantism we believe in Christ. When he says no-one who believes in him will ever die nor perish we find it trustworthy.
As a catholic, don't you recite that prayer I mentionned earlier, in which you ask her to pray for us, at the hour of our death ? Do you think believing in Him makes one immortal?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

The part from Hail Mary to Jesus is directly taken from the gospel of Luke. So if Gabriel refers to her in those words so can I.

Sola Gratia, it doesn't matter God's mercy makes no difference between the older and the younger brother. We'll all be saved by grace and grace alone.

As a catholic, don't you recite that prayer I mentionned earlier, in which you ask her to pray for us, at the hour of our death ? Do you think believing in Him makes one immortal?

Yes I pray to Mary cause I can. Christ is the bridge between those who've gone through life before us and us. I can talk to Mary through Christ.
Yes, undoubtedly so. I believe Christ can give eternal life to those he see fit.

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We don't ask for the Blessed Mother's forgiveness. She is not divine. We simply ask her to pray for us.
Yes, but why shouldn't she be allowed to recite the "Our Father" for our own salvation, and pray God for us that He would forgive our trespasses as we forgive to those who trespass against us? That's what I meant

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The part from Hail Mary to Jesus is directly taken from the gospel of Luke. So if Gabriel refers to her in those words so can I.
Gabriel didn't recite the "Hail Mary" for it ends with "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death". This Gabriel didn't say to Mary. Are you a catholic that adds this final request towards her, or do you rather stop the prayer with the words of the Gospel?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Gabriel didn't recite the "Hail Mary" for it ends with "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death". This Gabriel didn't say to Mary. Are you a catholic that adds this final request towards her, or do you rather stop the prayer with the words of the Gospel?

I said it ended at Jesus in Luke.
Luke 1:28 & Luke 1:42.

The part you're reaching to is part of the tradition of the church. It's why I wrote about the communion of the saints and Christ as bridge etc.

Hope that clarifies our theological position somewhat ;)

Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hope that clarifies our theological position somewhat
When he says no-one who believes in him will ever die nor perish we find it trustworthy.
The communion of saint doesn't make men escape from their mortal condition, that's what I meant. Do you deny earthly death because you believe in eternal heavenly life?Or do you contest the part of the prayer that is within what you call the tradition of the church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The communion of saint doesn't make men escape from their mortal condition, that's what I meant. Do you deny earthly death because you believe in eternal heavenly life?Or do you contest the part of the prayer that is within what you call the tradition of the church?

I'm sorry but I find it hard to understand what you're asking me about.

• Agree
Reactions: AvilaSurfer
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat.jpg

MOD HAT ON
Thread has been re-opened.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Peter, What is the difference in me asking you to pray for me v.s. me asking Virgin Mary to pray for me?

Peter, the answer to the above question is a big difference She is the Mother of Jesus, Who He himself is God. Now your prayers for me are good, but the prayers from God's Own Mother for me, or for you, is Heavenly Music to our Lords Ears, and Her prayers are ALWAYS answered! One of the Ten Commandments is to Honor your Mother and Father, Jesus Christ Obeys this commandment of His, by Honoring His Mother, Jesus Christ does ALL that She asks Him to do, there is proof of this, you find it in
John 2: 1 Below Note: (Even when Jesus Christ told His Mother Mary, "HIS HOUR HAS NOT YET COME", Jesus did what His Mother asked Him to do, Jesus Christ performed His First Miracle.)

John 2: 1 AND the third day, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee: and the mother of Jesus was there. 2And Jesus also was invited, and his disciples, to the marriage. 3And the wine failing, the mother of Jesus saith to him: They have no wine. 4And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? my hour is not yet come. 5His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.

Our Lord would have not performed this First Miracle for any other, for His Hour had not yet come, However, it was His Mother Mary, who asked, BIG DIFFERENCE!

Having Mary Pray for you, to Her Son, you will have the Best Wine/Blood for all Eternity.

Reactions: peter2
Upvote 0

peter2

Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thread has been re-opened
Thank you for reopening the thread
When he says no-one who believes in him will ever die nor perish we find it trustworthy.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to understand what you're asking me about.
I just wanted to say that I personnally find hard not to believe in this apparent last word death has in our world, even though I believe in eternal life, and its final triumph.
Yes, death in our world is a reality, how could we deny it?
Yet, obviously as Christian, I deny the reality I see in whatever human christian death I encounter, believing in another life for the dead, in another reality which I can't see.
That's what I meant. I hope it'll be clearer

At best, the question was poorly worded.
I apologize for my lack of diplomacy, and of proper good english. Yet, I don't deny my aim was and is, partly at least, exhortation. What if, after all, salvation was at this price? Yet, I hope you'll forgive my clumsiness all the more because relevance perhaps sometimes lacks in my thoughts

Peter, What is the difference in me asking you to pray for me v.s. me asking Virgin Mary to pray for me?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for reopening the thread

I just wanted to say that I personnally find hard not to believe in this apparent last word death has in our world, even though I believe in eternal life, and its final triumph.
Yes, death in our world is a reality, how could we deny it?
Yet, obviously as Christian, I deny the reality I see in whatever human christian death I encounter, believing in another life for the dead, in another reality which I can't see.
That's what I meant. I hope it'll be clearer

I apologize for my lack of diplomacy, and of proper good english. Yet, I don't deny my aim was and is, partly at least, exhortation. What if, after all, salvation was at this price? Yet, I hope you'll forgive my clumsiness all the more because relevance perhaps sometimes lacks in my thoughts

Isn't it harder to believe we all got here the way we did than to believe in a post-mortal continuation of some sort in the afterlife?

To me the anthropic argument has great strength and functions as a very probable explanation model as a pro argument for eternal life too.

Upvote 0