Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How do you feel when somebody says that to you?

To me, this comes across as very patronising. As if the person giving it, is on equal terms with God, and has special privy to such information. And the person receiving the advice, is lowest on the food chain, one step from Hell perhaps.
Maybe I need to look at it in a different light. It can depend on the tone of voice too. Perhaps a parent saying that to a young child, might be appropriate. But I'm not sure about adult to adult.
[edit]

Last edited:

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I can't fault folks for saying this. You kind of run out of advice to give when the same people posting the same problems over and over, and ignore any other advice given.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

To me, this comes across as very patronising. As if the person giving it, is on equal terms with God, and has special privy to such information. And the person receiving the advice, is lowest on the food chain, one step from Hell perhaps.
Maybe I need to look at it in a different light. It can depend on the tone of voice too. Perhaps a parent saying that to a young child, might be appropriate. But I'm not sure about adult to adult.
"Don't worry Paul. Satan loves you very much." :)
I don't think anyone would want your final sentence as an interpretation of what they are saying. I agree that it can be patroniZing (USA speak):holy: ..... I'm trained in oral and visual interpretation and I can spot patroniZing up front. I attempt to respond gently.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so how about on CF? where we have less context clues?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, interpretation as well. We all have to avoid planting our interpretation on the presentation of others; clarification may be necessary, but not jumping to conclusions.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kate Pneuma

May 28, 2017
Alabama
✟16,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really depends on the context to me... could go either way. But I know there have been plenty of times in my life when I have felt unworthy of Gods love and it's usually helpful to me to be reminded. Because sometimes it's very hard for me to believe ;)

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think anyone who says that, is just reminding you of the truth in God's word. We all need reminded from time to time. It is easy to forget when we are feeling unloved, or have wronged or have been wronged... That we have a Father who will never leave us nor forsakes us and yes indeed loves us.
It could be coming from a babe in Christ and have just had a revealation of God's love and they are offering the best they know.
I would say coming from a fellow Christian,( even if you don't need a reminder) that it is well meaning and should be taken as such.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would say coming from a fellow Christian,( even if you don't need a reminder) that it is well meaning and should be taken as such.
Thanks. of course you're right. I'm never too old to become more mature. :)

• Agree
Reactions: ub4me
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't fault folks for saying this. You kind of run out of advice to give when the same people posting the same problems over and over, and ignore any other advice given.
I hear you. Jesus would speak to many that would turn away from him (John 6:66). He didn't go running after them. One needn't give up after the first try, but if they are not receptive, move on to someone else that may be. We are given only so much time in this life. Don't waste it talking to walls. Be careful how much time you waste listening to them going on about those same old problems when they will not receive the solution to those problems. Of course sometimes the greater ministry is not in the giving of solutions (husbands) but just in the listening itself (right wives?).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Maybe I need to look at it in a different light. It can depend on the tone of voice too. Perhaps a parent saying that to a young child, might be appropriate. But I'm not sure about adult to adult.[edit]

If you are like me, autistic, love is just a word. For me, love is an action. If a person says they love me I don't believe it until they do something to show it. As they say, words are cheap.

We know God loves us by what he does, not by what he says as he backs up what he says by what he does.

It says that God loved the whole world. How do we know? He sent Jesus to die for us. That is how we know, not because he said it.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know for me when I am all out of options for encouraging a person and they just won't give up on their spiel for weeks on end I'll just tell them things like "God loves you and has a plan for you!". I mean what else can someone do. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink. Now some may see the quote as a one liner excuse to get rid of the person. But it does have truth to what it says. Often people think God doesn't love them because God doesn't let them do the plans they want.

Upvote 0

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

[edit]

Genesis 1:28 - Reading this made me realize God had a plan (go figure) for us from the start, to subdue and establish dominion. To accomplish and to evolve. Let your relationship with God, be between you and God, and don't let others influence it (Hebrews 11:6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

[edit]
If someone says that, he or she may not know what else to say. The advice is true however. Our Savior told us that we can't change one hair black or white by worrying. We are told NOT to worry.

Here is a question for you. Why are you worrying in front of others? What are you seeking from them? Reassurance? Well, there is nothing wrong with that, and maybe sometimes reassurance can be useful, if given in a wise way.

However, I would say focus less on what peopole are saying to you and more on what is going on in your mind that you are still worrying. "Cast your care on Him, because He cares for you." And focus more on the One who can reeeally help you!

• Informative
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I hear you. Jesus would speak to many that would turn away from him (John 6:66). He didn't go running after them. One needn't give up after the first try, but if they are not receptive, move on to someone else that may be. We are given only so much time in this life. Don't waste it talking to walls. Be careful how much time you waste listening to them going on about those same old problems when they will not receive the solution to those problems. Of course sometimes the greater ministry is not in the giving of solutions (husbands) but just in the listening itself (right wives?).

I don't consider it talking to walls when encouraging someone who is stuck somewhere or stymied and/or overwhelmed. We've ALL been there. I have. Thank God for His grace and His seeing the needs of all of us. The dear one going over and over a problem, issue, or worry surely needs His grace. Hopefully His grace is reflected through us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0