Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." Just because some people or many people abuse truth, or the gifts of the Spirit, or the Word of God, etc., it doesn't mean we should throw out the whole shebang.

Study the Scriptures in their context. Learn the right way of doing something, and then do it right, in the power of God’s Spirit. Don’t let men decide for you what you should believe and what you should not believe.

John 10:7-10 ESV

“So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”

Many False Teachings

There are many false teachers today teaching many false doctrines which are leading God’s people astray, or they are causing confusion for them in their minds, or they are leading them to doubt God and his Word.

We, as the Lord’s sheep, are to be discerning about messages we get from men or women who say they are speaking for God, or the words of God, or the teachings of Christ and his word.

Yet, we don’t just write them off because they are saying something maybe we didn’t hear before, or because it disagrees with what we have always been taught, unless we have already examined what they are saying and have found it to be false. We don’t need to keep going back and forth like on a seesaw.

Yes, there are many people who are abusing the Scriptures and the gifts of the Spirit, but we should not throw out the Scriptures or the gifts of the Spirit just because some people are doing them or teaching them wrong.

This is why the Scriptures teach us to be discerning and to test what we see and hear and read against the Scriptures (in context) and in prayer and against what we know of God’s divine purpose and will for our lives.

The primary false teaching of today, I believe, is the cheap grace gospel, for it supplants the true gospel of grace in people’s hearts, and it promises them salvation from sin and eternal life with God based on a lie, not on the truth.

For they reduce faith to a mere confession of Christ but with no real repentance followed by obedience and submission to Christ as Lord. Thus, they give their adherents free license to continue living in sin, which, according to Scripture will end in death not in life everlasting (Rom 6:16).

Denying God’s Spirit

Then, there is this teaching which denies God’s Spirit and his voice to us and which denies the gifts of the Spirit (or some of them). I have been dealing with this one lately on Twitter with a very few number of people who are contending with me about this.

They don’t believe we can hear the voice of God, of his Spirit, not even as a nudge or a gentle whisper or as an impression or whatever. They believe God only speaks to us through the physical Bible, through the written word. In that case, though, they should quit Twitter, stop reading anything but Scripture, not listen to any music, and definitely stop listening to preaching.

But they are, like the cheap grace gospel people, distorting the Word of God, which I believe is intentional. And its goal or its purpose is to lead God’s people away from their pure devotion to Jesus Christ to follow after the teachings of man, and to not listen to God’s internal voice speaking to them.

For, this teaching that says we can’t hear God speaking to us except through the physical Bible is not biblical. It is of man, not of God, for it keeps people from hearing the Spirit’s promptings, his warnings, and his callings, etc. And it prevents us from using the gifts God has given us for the building up of the body of Christ to maturity in Christ (Rom 12; 1 Co 12; Eph 4).

What they are teaching is like returning to the letter of the law. It is like going backwards. But God has given us his Spirit to teach, encourage, comfort, counsel and lead us. And we are to walk according to the Spirit and by the Spirit be putting to death the misdeeds of the body (Rom 8:1-17).

John 10:11-13 ESV

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.”

These false shepherds of the people who are lying to the sheep, telling them that they don’t have to repent, obey, or submit to Christ and/or who are telling them they can’t hear God speaking to them through his Spirit and that certain spiritual gifts no longer exist, are not the Lord’s servants.

They are deserters of the body of Christ, of the faith, whose authority is not God or the Scriptures. For the Scriptures teach that we are to hear and to listen to the Spirit speaking to us, and that God does give us spiritual gifts which we are to use for the encouragement of the body of Christ.

But these false doctrines of the faith or these false gospels which deny Jesus, and which deny the Holy Spirit, are on the increase, and many people are falling for them, as there are people falling for those who teach the Holy Spirit and his leading in ways which are not biblical.

So, study the Scriptures word for word, in context, and see what they teach about the gospel of our salvation and its requirements of us, and see what they teach about the Holy Spirit and his role in our lives and in the church, and then follow the truth and reject the lies.

God not only speaks to us through his written word (primary), but he speaks to us through his Spirit in many different ways, too, and he speaks through nature (Romans 1) and through parables, etc., including dreams and visions (Acts 2:14-21). Just test everything you believe you are hearing.

Acts 11:12: “The Spirit told me to go with them without misgivings. These six brethren also went with me and we entered the man’s house.”

Acts 13:2: “While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.’”

Acts 20:23: “…except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me.”

John 16:13: “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.”

So, "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

For Our Nation

An Original Work / September 11, 2012

Bombs are bursting. Night is falling.
Jesus Christ is gently calling
You to follow Him in all ways.
Trust Him with your life today.
Make Him your Lord and your Savior.
Turn from your sin. Follow Jesus.
He will forgive you of your sin;
Cleanse your heart, made new within.

Men betraying: Our trust fraying.