temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
The Bible I read says to dust your sandals and to also avoid useless arguments. Has nothing to do with disagreeing. Has everything to do with not knowing anything the Catholic Church teaches and believes. You started this thread telling everyone to be nice. But no amount of niceness will help you when you are ignorant about something you are saying is wrong. So thanks, for at least proving that.:wave:
I understood you believe the saints are alive. And, are you one of those who kneels in front statues and pray to them? QUESTION

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understood you believe the saints are alive. And, are you one of those who kneel in front statues and pray to them? QUESTION
Actually no. Get a Catechism. It should clear up all your issues if you actually read it. I’ll leave you to it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The one is individual, community is plural
The individual I can find a way to love. The community I cannot. It is not a real thing that I can hug or care for as the individual is. It is a thing of the imagination like a fictional country. I cannot find a way to love it.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love them so you won't hurt them. Lgbt community needs true love.
Just want to encourage you about a key thing in your original post --

Believers are not to revile any group!

Not A, not B, not C, not D....

1Cor 6:10 --

English Standard Version
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Berean Study Bible
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

We are to never revile any group. Not 'liberals', not 'illegal immigrants', not members of church A or church B or church C, not '____you name it here___'.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those that follow Christ will agree that we are to "Love your neighbor as yourself" and that means all the neighbors we encounter, and not only a selected group we are the most familiar with or think is doing better, etc.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
English Standard Version
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Berean Study Bible
nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

We are to never revile any group.

Basically, what you've done there is prove with Scripture that some people are indeed deserving of criticism and even punishment for wrongdoing.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just want to encourage you about a key thing in your original post --

Believers are not to revile any group!

Not A, not B, not C, not D....

1Cor 6:10 --

English Standard Version

Berean Study Bible

We are to never revile any group. Not 'liberals', not 'illegal immigrants', not members of church A or church B or church C, not '____you name it here___'.
'
Though you may be right that Christians are not supposed to revile any groups your examples are examples of biblical reviling of groups. According to the quotes you referenced none of those groups it mentions will inherit the Kingdom. Perhaps saying a group will not inherit the Kingdom is not reviling them in your opinion? If that is the case, then would you have to say that saying "nor liberals will inherit the kingdom of God" is not reviling liberals'?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Basically, what you've done is prove with Scripture that some people are indeed deserving of criticism and even punishment.

It's important to be really clear on this one, the kinds of judgement we can do rightfully, and what we cannot.

We learn from the gospels we are to judge carefully (not just on appearances) such things as actions, ideas, things, and so on, but not souls. We can rightfully judge an idea or action -- to be right or wrong -- but we are not to go past that and assume upon ourselves the judging of people themselves.
(often this isn't very clear at first, and some have asked 'what's the difference?' -- a good way to see the difference is to read Matthew 7:1-5 and Luke 6:37).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
'
Though you may be right that Christians are not supposed to revile any groups your examples are examples of biblical reviling of groups. According to the quotes you referenced none of those groups it mentions will inherit the Kingdom. Perhaps saying a group will not inherit the Kingdom is not reviling them in your opinion? If that is the case, then would you have to say that saying "nor liberals will inherit the kingdom of God" is not reviling liberals'?
This is when we rotate the things too much

Upvote 0

James Honigman

Site Supporter
Mar 20, 2017
No. California
✟95,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Lamb. You do realize you are asking me to be tolerant to the most intolerant group in America, and I'm not talking about Catholics?

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We learn from the gospels we are to judge carefully (not just on appearances) such things as actions, ideas, things, and so on, but not souls. We can rightfully judge an idea or action -- to be right or wrong....

If that is your point, you chose some very inappropriate examples to illustrate it.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that is your point, why did you choose such inappropriate examples to illustrate your point?
I'm sorry if I write long posts at times, but please read more fully this last post (I added an explanatory extra part on the difference between what we can judge and what we should not judge; it really ought to be clear as far as I can think of how to word it. An action isn't the same as a soul.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi lambofgod
Dare I say it, but I think you have chosen a very unusual title for a discussion thread! :)
I think the point you are making is very important. As Christians we have been forgiven an enormous debt and our attitude should be one of humility and grace towards others.
Time and time again, I have heard many Christians state that is their responsibility to speak against others sins and to exercise righteous judgement. They claim that it is their duty to "love the sinner and hate the sin". They believe that by quoting the scriptures, they are "preaching the truth in love".
I sometimes wonder how much they understand the love of God.
Jesus said "love your neighbour as yourself". To truly love someone depends on us being able to empathise with their experiences. We can only understand another person's situation if we are willing to set aside our own feelings and prejudices and show the willingness to listen and understand.
Parable upon parable, Jesus taught us that no matter how much we had learned, no matter how much we have mastered the scriptures, whatever the level of our theological understanding, there is always more to discover about the depth and breadth of the love of God.
In the parable of good Samaritan, it was not the levite, the priest, the self righteous or biblically literate who Jesus branded the true hero. Jesus instead made an example of the Samaritan, the one who others hated and despised, to teach us something about the love, mercy and care of God. He used Him as an example for how we should live our lives.
We will always find people we feel uncomfortable with, people we do not understand, people who unsettle our theological and religious beliefs. And through it all, perhaps Jesus is teaching us that we need to take a more time to listen to them, to understand them and to become a better neighbour.
After all, Jesus taught us "to love God and our neighbour".
Why as Christians would we chose to disrespect the golden rule upon which hangs all the law and the prophets?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Hi lambofgod
Dare I say it, but I think you have chosen a very unusual title for a discussion thread! :)
I think the point you are making is very important. As Christians we have been forgiven an enormous debt and our attitude should be one of humility and grace towards others.
Time and time again, I have heard many Christians state that is their responsibility to speak against others sins and to exercise righteous judgement. They claim that it is their duty to "love the sinner and hate the sin". They believe that by quoting the scriptures, they are "preaching the truth in love".
I sometimes wonder how much they understand about the love of God.
Jesus said "love your neighbour as yourself". To truly love someone depends on us being able to empathise with their experiences. We can only understand another person's situation if we are willing to set aside our own feelings and prejudices and show the willingness to listen and understand.
Parable upon parable, Jesus taught us that no matter how much we had learned, no matter how much we have mastered the scriptures, whatever the level of our theological understanding, there is always more to discover about the depth and breadth of the love of God.
In the parable of good Samaritan, it was not the levite, the priest, the self righteous or biblically literate who Jesus branded the true hero. Jesus instead made an example of the Samaritan, the one who others hated and despised, to teach us something about the love, mercy and care of God. He used Him as an example for how we should live our lives.
We will always find people we feel uncomfortable with, people we do not understand, people who unsettle our theological and religious beliefs. And through it all, perhaps Jesus is teaching us that we need to take a more time to listen to them, to understand them and to become a better neighbour.
After all, Jesus taught us "to love God and our neighbour".
Why as Christians would we chose to disrespect the golden rule upon which hangs all the law and the prophets?
Yeah, that's right. Thank you for your words, I read it all, thing that I don't do when the post is long.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.