Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have found some summarizations of Thessalonians have stated that according to history in those times that people were 'quitting their jobs' because they had false doctrine telling them Christ had returned.
I do find in my studies that there is no requirement of doing something for money, and mostly find references to such actions in parables, or in dark scenarios in the New Testament. As even when Peter healed the beggar he did say 'gold and silver I do not have...' (Atleast in that moment) it seems the faith is made stronger without such things, though not mandatory..

Yet what these commentary summarizations are actually referring to is I presume the fact that if a man is not productive then he shall not receive food. However I do not think it to be vain to focus my work on the ferthering of the Gospel of Truth, as some presume about me. (I take their words as a blessing, and I pursue righteousness in Christ with zeal.) I find my needs are met through God in charity.
Now is this wrong of me in your perception? As I am not to be a burden, yet people help me out of love, compassion, and consideration.

Would it be so wrong to willingly suffer homelessness with zeal in Christ? <3

That being said, would it not be better for those without chains in Christ to live freely unrestrained by dependencies on worldly things such as a/c, vehicles, or weapons, or even money 'if possible'? For the benefit of others faith, that they might believe with the same zeal according to their ability.

People try telling me to get a job... Yet rather than sign my living being to bondage for money... Wouldn't it be more beneficial and productive to study the bible?

And if it is true, that we should be all working jobs, or being denied food because the day of the Lord has yet to come when we will work as a body, is that day not fast approaching? Should we be more focused on the progress of the Gospel of Truth above even our own families, and lives, let alone countries in these last days? (As the end times/last days are fast approaching if not already here.)

I ask these for edification. Truly I live such a lifestyle as this, yet I do not consider it unruly.. I remember the walk of Christ Jesus in this lifestyle. Let alone the way of the Levite.
Is it to my shame that I do this? As it seemingly creates much reproach from the world.. Yet even still I am still striving for perfection, yet I find myself always still learning, and even at times umm... Irritated by elementary teachings of the world.. Yet I aim to improve.
Any advice?
At what point does one become above reproach?

As I find Jesus with reproach from Pharisees and Paul from Jews, and so on..
Is reproach inevitable, yet the ability to knowing your scripture clearly cause one to become above reproach to well invested relationships with the body over time?

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People try telling me to get a job... Yet rather than sign my living being to bondage for money... Wouldn't it be more beneficial and productive to study the bible?
Maybe you could have a job and read the Bible, why do you think working is bad?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Thessalonians is rather clear:

1 Thessalonians 4:11
and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you,

2 Thessalonians 3:8
nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you;

2 Thessalonians 3:11
For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.

And in another letter:

Ephesians 4:28
He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Thing with this approach unless you are somehow selfsupported, is that others are paying for your "leisure"

So basically you are supporting others being "in bondage for money" ?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have found some summarizations of Thessalonians have stated that according to history in those times that people were 'quitting their jobs' because they had false doctrine telling them Christ had returned.
I do find in my studies that there is no requirement of doing something for money, and mostly find references to such actions in parables, or in dark scenarios in the New Testament. As even when Peter healed the beggar he did say 'gold and silver I do not have...' (Atleast in that moment) it seems the faith is made stronger without such things, though not mandatory..

Yet what these commentary summarizations are actually referring to is I presume the fact that if a man is not productive then he shall not receive food. However I do not think it to be vain to focus my work on the ferthering of the Gospel of Truth, as some presume about me. (I take their words as a blessing, and I pursue righteousness in Christ with zeal.) I find my needs are met through God in charity.
Now is this wrong of me in your perception? As I am not to be a burden, yet people help me out of love, compassion, and consideration.

Would it be so wrong to willingly suffer homelessness with zeal in Christ? <3

That being said, would it not be better for those without chains in Christ to live freely unrestrained by dependencies on worldly things such as a/c, vehicles, or weapons, or even money 'if possible'? For the benefit of others faith, that they might believe with the same zeal according to their ability.

And if it is true, that we should be all working jobs, or being denied food because the day of the Lord has yet to come when we will work as a body, is that day not fast approaching? Should we be more focused on the progress of the Gospel of Truth above even our own families, and lives, let alone countries in these last days? (As the end times/last days are fast approaching if not already here.)

I ask these for edification. Truly I live such a lifestyle as this, yet I do not consider it unruly.. I remember the walk of Christ Jesus in this lifestyle. Let alone the way of the Levite.
Is it to my shame that I do this? As it seemingly creates much reproach from the world.. Yet even still I am still striving for perfection, yet I find myself always still learning, and even at times umm... Irritated by elementary teachings of the world.. Yet I aim to improve.
Any advice?
At what point does one become above reproach?

As I find Jesus with reproach from Pharisees and Paul from Jews, and so on..
Is reproach inevitable, yet the ability to knowing your scripture clearly cause one to become above reproach to well invested relationships with the body over time?
Working for money has a number of valid reasons. Paul worked as a tent maker so that he would not be a burden financially to the church. When circumstances changed, Paul was supported by the brethren.
1. Money is controlled by the world system. Paid employment is a means of taking money out of the world and bringing it into God's kingdom
2. By working in the world we are a witness. We should be the best workers that the boss has ever come across.
3. It is more than possible to work and minister. The most spiritually mature man I ever knew personally was a tradesman. He was the only pastor I've met who gave to his flock at every opportunity. When he retired, as the job became too physically difficult, God supplied his needs through the brethren.
4. Work is a great training ground. Worldly people may not be easy to get on with. Learning to love the people but not the world they serve can be difficult.
5. Being a worker enables us to identify with the lives of most Christians. I spent 50 years in the workforce. Now I run and teach a Bible School. My students know that I'm normal, not some kind of egghead theologian that lives in an ivory tower.

No, we do not serve mammon. We should be making mammon serve the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe you could have a job and read the Bible, why do you think working is bad?

Working and laboring is so important!!
Jobbing (aka doing something for money) is not necessarily working.... (if you disagree what does a prostitute do? And how do you explain the question of 'what do you do for money?' Which is disgusting tbh.. Other than if you have a wife and children to provide for, let alone a household. Yet some do not, and even still some do not aspire to have those possessions the church in acts gave to those in need.

I think Thessalonians is rather clear:

1 Thessalonians 4:11
and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you,

2 Thessalonians 3:8
nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with labor and hardship we kept working night and day so that we would not be a burden to any of you;

2 Thessalonians 3:11
For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ to work in quiet fashion and eat their own bread.

And in another letter:

Ephesians 4:28
He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need.
Nothing about money being a mandatory need to receive food. Yet surely work and labor are important.

Thing with this approach unless you are somehow selfsupported, is that others are paying for your "leisure"

So basically you are supporting others being "in bondage for money" ?
Is charity to a worker in the church whom dedicates his or her life to the Gospel a reason for the worker to be ashamed if they receive a living off the church?.. There is scripture that implys otherwise..

Working for money has a number of valid reasons. Paul worked as a tent maker so that he would not be a burden financially to the church. When circumstances changed, Paul was supported by the brethren.
1. Money is controlled by the world system. Paid employment is a means of taking money out of the world and bringing it into God's kingdom
2. By working in the world we are a witness. We should be the best workers that the boss has ever come across.
3. It is more than possible to work and minister. The most spiritually mature man I ever knew personally was a tradesman. He was the only pastor I've met who gave to his flock at every opportunity. When he retired, as the job became too physically difficult, God supplied his needs through the brethren.
4. Work is a great training ground. Worldly people may not be easy to get on with. Learning to love the people but not the world they serve can be difficult.
5. Being a worker enables us to identify with the lives of most Christians. I spent 50 years in the workforce. Now I run and teach a Bible School. My students know that I'm normal, not some kind of egghead theologian that lives in an ivory tower.

No, we do not serve mammon. We should be making mammon serve the Kingdom of God.

Contrary wise though Paul 'made a living' off his tent services it does not nesasarilly imply that he received any money, but rather it was his payment for the trades others provided him with.
And Jesus being a carpenter doesn't nessesarily mean he made money off the thing He made.. He became poor that we might be rich..

It's just an analysis. I'm open to being wrong, yet I recieved my 'living' through Jesus Christ, and God the Father regardless of if I have any money.
He sustains me, not you, your job, your money, or tacos, or medicine, nor even music.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He sustains me, not you, your job, your money, or tacos, or medicine, nor even music.

Right, lets try that. Cancel all the money you are getting from the money from the government or others.

Open an empty bank account that says "Divine leisure living testimony fund."

Grant account rights to you and God

Then use it to pay your living expenses and leisure.

Can you figure out how this turns out ?

• Agree
Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right, lets try that. Cancel all the money you are getting from the money from the government or others.

Open an empty bank account that says "Divine leisure living testimony fund."

Grant account rights to you and God

Then use it to pay your living expenses and leisure.

Can you figure out how this turns out ?
What 'living expenses'?

I had a similar bank account.. I spent it on getting my drivers liscense back after it was stolen and now I'm back at $0 and no bank account.

Also I receive no money from the government' atleast as of right now, and I am homeless.. Yet I am sort of a house keeper for my friends.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What 'living expenses'?

I had a similar bank account.. I spent it on getting my drivers liscense back after it was stolen and now I'm back at $0 and no bank account.

Also I receive no money from the government' atleast as of right now, and I am homeless.. Yet I am sort of a house keeper for my friends.

That does not sound like a permanent condition. Might be better just to get those unemployment benefits going. Even if you can scrape a living now without it that does not mean the conditions shall continue to be as favourable forever.

All it takes is you getting sick or your friends getting fed up and you are going downhill.

• Agree
Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That does not sound like a permanent condition. Might be better just to get those unemployment benefits going. Even if you can scrape a living now without it that does not mean the conditions shall continue to be as favourable forever.

All it takes is you getting sick or your friends getting fed up and you are going downhill.
God sustains me with love and charity , even when I have nothing.
I've been doing this for years. I have no shame on the matter, as I labor very diligently despite the world saying otherwise.

What is my permanent condition on this earth when this earth is fading away?!

And at that I point to Mark/John the author of Mark, and his argument with Paul whom wrote thesollonians 1 and 2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God sustains me with love and charity , even when I have nothing.
I've been doing this for years. I have no shame on the matter, as I labor very diligently despite the world saying otherwise.

Well who are we to argue ? Whatever rocks your boat.

• Winner
Reactions: OffGrid
Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well who are we to argue ? Whatever rocks your boat.
Another word for Agape is 'charity'. He really does sustain me, and I'd like to encourage others to work.

Christ is my Rock, and I roll with Him.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Working and laboring is so important!!
Jobbing (aka doing something for money) is not necessarily working.... (if you disagree what does a prostitute do? And how do you explain the question of 'what do you do for money?' Which is disgusting tbh.. Other than if you have a wife and children to provide for, let alone a household. Yet some do not, and even still some do not aspire to have those possessions the church in acts gave to those in need.

Nothing about money being a mandatory need to receive food. Yet surely work and labor are important.

Is charity to a worker in the church whom dedicates his or her life to the Gospel a reason for the worker to be ashamed if they receive a living off the church?.. There is scripture that implys otherwise..

Contrary wise though Paul 'made a living' off his tent services it does not nesasarilly imply that he received any money, but rather it was his payment for the trades others provided him with.
And Jesus being a carpenter doesn't nessesarily mean he made money off the thing He made.. He became poor that we might be rich..

It's just an analysis. I'm open to being wrong, yet I recieved my 'living' through Jesus Christ, and God the Father regardless of if I have any money.
Your reasoning is wrong. Paul lived in Roman times where money was commonplace. Lord Jesus warned us against the love of money. He did not tell us not to use it. Try paying taxes with a loaf of bread. We are in the world, not of it.
There was so much money in Lord Jesus' treasury that Judas thought it worth stealing. He told the disciples that they needed to buy bread for the crowd that followed Him. Lord Jesus at one time at least owned a house. He may well have sold it - for money. The same in the book of Acts. The early disciples sold properties in order to help those who were poor. Maybe Paul did trade a tent for a ticket to Rome. I don't know. But my reading of the Bible is that money was pretty much as widely used as it is today.

• Agree
Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your reasoning is wrong. Paul lived in Roman times where money was commonplace. Lord Jesus warned us against the love of money. He did not tell us not to use it. Try paying taxes with a loaf of bread. We are in the world, not of it.
There was so much money in Lord Jesus' treasury that Judas thought it worth stealing. He told the disciples that they needed to buy bread for the crowd that followed Him. Lord Jesus at one time at least owned a house. He may well have sold it - for money. The same in the book of Acts. The early disciples sold properties in order to help those who were poor. Maybe Paul did trade a tent for a ticket to Rome. I don't know. But my reading of the Bible is that money was pretty much as widely used as it is today.
Give to Caesars what is Caesars, and give to God what is God's.
There is no proof Jesus owned a house, (besides maybe His mothers house)let alone sold it.
Jesus said go take the gold coin from the fishes mouth and give it to the tax collectors, that his disciple would not be a burden to him.
I'm not saying you can't use money, and I'm not saying don't put it in a bank. But it is evident Christ said do not carry copper or a purse when He sent people out. And sure people sold their possessions and gave to the poor. Then they followed Christ.. Most people don't even take it seriously.
Yet I take it seriously with reverence..

proverbs 23:4
"Do not weary yourself to gain wealth, cease from your consideration of it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Give to Caesars what is Caesars, and give to God what is God's.
There is no proof Jesus owned a house, (besides maybe His mothers house)let alone sold it.
Jesus said go take the gold coin from the fishes mouth and give it to the tax collectors, that his disciple would not be a burden to him.
I'm not saying you can't use money, and I'm not saying don't put it in a bank. But it is evident Christ said do not carry copper or a purse when He sent people out. And sure people sold their possessions and gave to the poor. Then they followed Christ.. Most people don't even take it seriously.
Yet I take it seriously with reverence..

I do not understand what you are getting at. I spent 50 years in the workforce. I was doing God's will. Now I am retired and I have a low key Bible School. I'm doing God's will. Money is not evil in itself. It's the love of money that is the issue. If I'd not worked for 50 years, I would not have the resources to fund the school. It's free for those who attend. All my money belongs to the Lord. No, I wasn't always so detached. I had to learn the kingdom principle of giving.

Money is a really good discerner of a person's spiritual state. God does not have the heart until he also has the wallet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not understand what you are getting at. I spent 50 years in the workforce. I was doing God's will. Now I am retired and I have a low key Bible School. I'm doing God's will. Money is not evil in itself. It's the love of money that is the issue. If I'd not worked for 50 years, I would not have the resources to fund the school. It's free for those who attend. All my money belongs to the Lord. No, I wasn't always so detached. I had to learn the kingdom principle of giving.

Money is a really good discerner of a person's spiritual state. God does not have the heart until he also has the wallet.
Your money does not determine your level of faith nor your spiritual state brother.

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Money is a very worldly material thing that is fading away along with this world.
God has your heart regardless of your wallet, and the wallet itself is vain.

My attitude is not that God is even concerned with money, other than what is due to a man is due to him. Yet the fact remains some men do not care for money, and would rather be paid in love.
What is it to you if a man with a household comes home providing an extra dose of Agape instead of a child's allowance?

Jesus sent out the 12, and the 70 directing them to carry no purse/wallet, or copper, and Peter/John in acts told the beggar they do not have gold or silver, and at the end of the day we all agree to more or less a denarius nomatter how hard we labored, and talents are parabolic and not necessarily always money. Surely if you waste your musical talent for long enough it will be given to another.
(You can keep the things that fade in this world. I will bind wisdom to myself)

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Money is a very worldly material thing that is fading away along with this world.
God has your heart regardless of your wallet, and the wallet itself is vain.

My attitude is not that God is even concerned with money, other than what is due to a man is due to him. Yet the fact remains some men do not care for money, and would rather be paid in love.
What is it to you if a man with a household comes home providing an extra dose of Agape instead of a child's allowance?

Jesus sent out the 12, and the 70 directing them to carry no purse/wallet, or copper, and Peter/John in acts told the beggar they do not have gold or silver, and at the end of the day we all agree to more or less a denarius nomatter how hard we labored, and talents are parabolic and not necessarily always money. Surely if you waste your musical talent for long enough it will be given to another.
(You can keep the things that fade in this world. I will bind wisdom to myself)

you can't feed your kids, pay power bills, school fees etc etc with "love." If you do not take care of your family, you are worse than an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you can't feed your kids, pay power bills, school fees etc etc with "love." If you do not take care of your family, you are worse than an unbeliever.
Who says you cannot sustain a family with faith an hope and love except one who doubts?
Besides some people are not bound to bills, and blood family, and friends because their heart is set on doing things a person bound to such things has no time for.

Upvote 0