• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Don't make me get out the belt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to declare the LORD's greatness in the midst of circumstances. OCD is a mere circumstance, a very frustrating, scary, and consuming circumstance, but a mere circumstance nonetheless. I am writing this to encourage you and to smack this bully in its filth-spewing mouth with the "belt of truth".

This morning began with an overwhelming sense of needing to pray. It seems like sometimes when I need to pray the most, the garbage in my mind pollutes my experience. See what I am saying? "My experience." Is that what this is about, my experience? When I try to pray, my mind shouts hateful, blasphemous, and profanity laden phrases.

So that's it, huh? My thoughts sooo powerful, that they can separate me from the love of Christ, despite the fact that scripture states that NOTHING can do this? Wow! I am really something!

The last time I checked, the Gospel was all about God and His love, not me and my thoughts, let alone my thoughts or even my circumstances, except that I am powerless over them. The sooner I can accept that on my own I am far worse than I think, the sooner I can drop these thoughts and embrace and claim the victory Christ has won for me.

The LORD loves us and knows what we need. My prayer is now, "Abba, Father." I think that is more than sufficient for now.

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just want to declare the LORD's greatness in the midst of circumstances. OCD is a mere circumstance, a very frustrating, scary, and consuming circumstance, but a mere circumstance nonetheless. I am writing this to encourage you and to smack this bully in its filth-spewing mouth with the "belt of truth".

This morning began with an overwhelming sense of needing to pray. It seems like sometimes when I need to pray the most, the garbage in my mind pollutes my experience. See what I am saying? "My experience." Is that what this is about, my experience? When I try to pray, my mind shouts hateful, blasphemous, and profanity laden phrases.

So that's it, huh? My thoughts sooo powerful, that they can separate me from the love of Christ, despite the fact that scripture states that NOTHING can do this? Wow! I am really something!

The last time I checked, the Gospel was all about God and His love, not me and my thoughts, let alone my thoughts or even my circumstances, except that I am powerless over them. The sooner I can accept that on my own I am far worse than I think, the sooner I can drop these thoughts and embrace and claim the victory Christ has won for me.

The LORD loves us and knows what we need. My prayer is now, "Abba, Father." I think that is more than sufficient for now.
Amen Marc!!
I have to get to come to this place all the time with my OCD. For every "what if"? that my OCD suggests I have learned that my salvation isn't dependent upon who I am but who God is. So many times I have to go back to this place and it's as if I have to hear Him tell me over and over - Mitzi - "Faith is not found in who you are, but in all that I AM."
OCD causes an intense inward focus that can really make it hard to focus on the Character and nature of God. These intense feelings of anxiety trick and trip us up if we rely on them as evidence of who God is and what His motives and intentions are toward us.
We have to continually do like CS Lewis said... "I've had to learn to tell these moods just where to get off."
"Feelings... nothing more than feelings... :)"
Thanks for that awesome reminder of the perfect Character of our loving, merciful and sufficient Savior.
God Bless,
Mitzi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.