• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Don't don't what God wants me to do

curlycurl

Jul 31, 2019
assen
✟13,765.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ive been struggling with something for long time and im not sure if its part of my ocd but I think it might be because i hear others in this ocd forum talk about similar things. SO if you don't have ocd or don't know about it please take this with a grain of salt.
I struggle with the passages in the bible about needing to leave anything behind and needing to deny yourself and anything you want or any goals you have or things to are attached too.
Like Luke 14:26 , Luke 9:23, Luke 14:33 ,1 John 2:15, Luke 16:13, 2 Corinthians 5:15.
I struggle which the feeling that all those things i have in life, I feel like I should actually leave all those things behind. My house, family , friends, school, possessions. Anything that I have, I keep being paranoid that all those things are sin and it makes me scared that I'm ignoring God's will. I keep being paranoid that I am not doing those things in God's glory, like I am friends with my friends not for God's glory, or I like making food not for God's glory. I for example am studying animation (as in animated movies) in college, which is something I love alot gives me great happiness. I love my school and making the art and animations, and I love my friends in school.
And it's not like I can't use my school in God's glory because I'm allowed to make movies about whatever I want and I could make animations about God if I wanted to. But I realize that I love this alot and I really would struggle alot with leaving that and dropping out at the drop of a hat.
I have feels like everything I do is sin.
I know a christain should leave their life behind and must be willing step away from anything God wants them too. But how do I know if God truly wants me to leave centrain things behind?
If i would hear Gods voice tell me clearly that I would have to drop out I'd like to think that I could. But I know that's not how God usually speaks, I think, I don't even know how God would let me know that I have to leave something behind.
I know I'm very paranoid and obsessive and I think everything is a sin, things that other christains would raise a eyebrow at and would think aren't sins.
This is giving me great depression. Because i feel like i cant do anything in a day, I can't draw, I can't enjoy making food, I can't enjoy talking to my friends, because I feel like everything besides from reading the bible is sinfull. I feel like I can't love anything or have hobbies, whether those hobbies are sinfull or not.
Help, is anyone here who recognizes my struggle? How do I know if God truly wants me to give something up or if Its just me being paranoid about everything?
Will God remove things from my life that aren't good himself? I'm concerned that if that's true, he's not removing them because I like those things too much.

SeamusDelion

Calvinist
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Toronto
Visit site
✟8,438.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Luke 12:29-34 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.
30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them.
31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.
32 “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.
34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Stop, take a break and thank God for this life. Then ask Him to take care of all your needs because you want to life according to His will not your own.

You are like every other Christian. I struggle with drugs, yet own a seminary worth of biblical resources from Logos.com, and love Christ enough to try and stop using drugs, even though I fail.

and fail you will, but what do you expect you wretched man! Only Christ is perfect.

Now for verses such as ones that tell you to leave everything behind, yes, its tough, but guess what, the bible instructs us to build up treasure in heaven not on earth. And this means putting God first, how can we focus on Christ when our mind is always on the pleasures of this world? Christ says These are my mothers, brothers, and sisters, the ones who do the Will of my Father in Heaven.

What is Gods will? For you to be sanctified into the image of His Perfect Son, and receive Him by Faith alone.

Anything more then that is a work or tradition and you don't have to stress out about it. Just love Christ and seek after His face while you still can!

I will also pray for you.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

covergirl

Oct 4, 2014
✟20,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I struggle with the exact same thing for a long time. Very bad. However realize a couple things, God grace and mercy is on you. Read scriptures in full context under solid biblical teaching. I know the thoughts are so overwhelming and it cripples you why? Because you love God and want to please Him. The Bible says all good gifts are from above. Don't feel guilty about enjoying your life. I see you have out God first otherwise you wouldn't care at all. When it says don't live the world, the world is evil. Is all you care about is making money, having mansions but not giving to others? If so it's a heart condition the grace of Christ is with you and He paid your salvation at the cross it's a done deal. Check out Hebrews 9 and 10. The grace of God will show you things and provide a way. 1 Cor. 10:13 the enemy can rush us into a works oriented relationship. One verse that really helped me is Mark 4:35-39 peace be still. Ask God to give you peace be still in your mind.

• Agree
Reactions: SeamusDelion
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
feel like I should actually leave all those things behind. My house, family , friends, school, possessions. Anything that I have

If you do this, where will you live, what will you wear and what will you eat?

You are in the middle of your education, finish it, work at it for the honour and glory of God.

Then you will have to find a job and sort out how you will serve God through your work and through your church service and through your measure activity.

God wants us to hold on to the material things we have very lightly and to be willing to sacrifice everything for him.

• Agree
Reactions: SeamusDelion
Upvote 0