Don't blame all conservatives

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I guess you really don't understand the difference between dissent and rebellion.

Do you also think Martin Luther King was fomenting a rebellion to overthrow the government of the United States?
He was trying to "overthrow" certain laws, so yes, it was a kind of rebellion.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you also think Martin Luther King was fomenting a rebellion to overthrow the government of the United States?

Well, a lot of right wing politicians were screaming that he was.

But for a lot of them, their go-to is to call anyone they hate, a communist who wants to overthrow our government. Far as I can see, King just wanted a level playing field.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Very scanty evidence. Up against tons of riots from the left. Most of these people are just talk.

Should we wait until they actually kill someone?

Woman arrested for threatening to bring guns to school if masks are required.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Barbarian said:

That was the democrats at the time.

Yes. That was when many democrats were the far-right racists. Wait half a century, and the parties switch on you. No fair.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Barbarian said:

Yes. That was when many democrats were the far-right racists. Wait half a century, and the parties switch on you. No fair.
Only the current republicans are no more racist than the current democrats...

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Only the current republicans are no more racist than the current democrats...

Well, let's take a look...

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is trending on Twitter after making a comment related to voting rights that his critics say implies African Americans are not Americans.

Before a vote to move the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to the Senate floor failed Wednesday, McConnell was asked by a reporter about concerns among voters of color.

"Well the concern is misplaced, because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans," McConnell responded.
Mitch McConnell says Black people vote just as much as 'Americans'

Looks like you got that wrong. Very few democrats are conservatives now. Certainly not that conservative.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, let's take a look...

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is trending on Twitter after making a comment related to voting rights that his critics say implies African Americans are not Americans.

Before a vote to move the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act to the Senate floor failed Wednesday, McConnell was asked by a reporter about concerns among voters of color.

"Well the concern is misplaced, because if you look at the statistics, African American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans," McConnell responded.
Mitch McConnell says Black people vote just as much as 'Americans'

Looks like you got that wrong. Very few democrats are conservatives now. Certainly not that conservative.

Lol, really? I can not take it seriously when people take benign comments and try to make them racist.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lol, really? I can not take it seriously when people take benign comments and try to make them racist.

Treating black voters as a group apart from Americans is about as racist as it comes.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Gaffes in politics are only excusable when made by someone who shares the same political affiliation as you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gaffes in politics are only excusable when made by someone who shares the same political affiliation as you.

Not at all, as far as I'm concerned. For example, Joe Biden once talking about black students, remarked that they were just as intelligent as people who weren't poor. Biden made the same sort of slip that McConnell made. He stereotyped all black people as having lower incomes than other people. McConnell stereotyped blacks as not being Americans.

Both were little windows into their assumptions about black people. Biden thought of them as generally having lower incomes,and McConnell thought of them as not being Americans.

You could, I suppose quibble and say that it's true that black people do tend to have lower incomes, while McConnell is flat out wrong about black people not being Americans. But both of those are stereotypes.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not at all, as far as I'm concerned. For example, Joe Biden once talking about black students, remarked that they were just as intelligent as people who weren't poor. Biden made the same sort of slip that McConnell made. He stereotyped all black people as having lower incomes than other people. McConnell stereotyped blacks as not being Americans.

Both were little windows into their assumptions about black people. Biden thought of them as generally having lower incomes,and McConnell thought of them as not being Americans.

You could, I suppose quibble and say that it's true that black people do tend to have lower incomes, while McConnell is flat out wrong about black people not being Americans. But both of those are stereotypes.
Or, it was simply a genuine slip of the tongue in both instances.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Or, it was simply a genuine slip of the tongue in both instances.

It seems significant though, that Biden's slip was consistent with Liberal notions and McConnell's slip was consistent with conservative notions.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lol, that's not what it was and any honest person knows that.

Any honest person knows exactly why McConnell made a distinction between "black voters" and Americans. That's how he was raised. In his youth, it was a law in Kentucky. He just never got over it.

As I said, it's telling that Biden's "slip" revealed liberal ideas about black people tending to be less affluent than most, and McConnell's "slip" revealed conservative ideas about black people not being Americans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm honest. Sounds racist to me. Not intentionally racist, perhaps, but racist all the same.

I'm sure he regretted it as soon as the words left his mouth. Sometimes, we reveal more about ourselves by carelessness than we do by careful speech.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If it's not intentional, then how can it be racist?

He just let his mouth go without engaging his filter. I'm sure he wishes he hadn't let that out.

Obviously he meant " other Americans.."

That's the thing about slips. You say what you think instead of what you want people to hear.

Upvote 0

Derek1111

Oct 28, 2021
RAF Northolt
✟30,198.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If it's not intentional, then how can it be racist?
Everyone drops a word here and there. Obviously he meant " other Americans.."
Are you seriously asking if racism can be unintentional?
Do you think there's no such thing as unconscious bias? Revealed in lazy assumptions that people are "poor but honest" or "[insert race] but hardworking"?
How would you account for the vast disparities between African American young men being arrested and detained vs their white peers?

I would be interested in your views on these questions.

Upvote 0