Don't Be Black and Stare: Man stopped by police after woman says he was staring at her suspiciously

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Royal Oak Police apologize to black man stopped after white woman claimed he was staring at her
The Royal Oak Police Department has issued an apology to a black man who was stopped by police on Wednesday after a white woman allegedly said he was staring "suspiciously" at her.

Devin Myers is the man in the video seen on social media surrounded by four officers. Myers said he parked his car and waited for a friend when the woman called police on him as he walked to the Inn Season Cafe.

Got a new one for the list: Do not stare at people.

And shout out to Inn Season Cafe, I'll be sure to visit there the next time I'm in the Detroit area.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Summer, what's your take on the Calvinism / Arminianism debate? Just wondering.

I feel like "What's your take on liberation theology?" might be the more pertinent question. ^_^

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Women have the right to be cautious about men they don't know, regardless of anyone's race.
They can look but catcalling and touching is off limits . I don’t consider lewd or rude mouth movements looking . If he was just looking at her then she should just ignore him .

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
He was “staring” because he was looking for a parking spot and was waiting to see if she was leaving.

Indeed. He wasn't even staring. You should correct the OP to "Using your eyes while black".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Much ado about nothing. Apparently, the only thing done wrong was the police asking for identification. Yet, he is "humiliated" and felt "racially profiled"? Whatever. Now, there are internal investigations and lawyers involved? He is just trying to get a payday. The cops are going overboard not to look like the stereotype by apologizing and investigating. Move along. Nothing to see here.

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The only problem is not asking for identification, it was also that this officer had arrested this young man previously, claiming he had a warrant out for his arrest. That was a waste of 10 hours of his day for nothing, so to find the same officer harassing this young man yet again, is a problem. Once he found out the man was simply going to a restaurant to eat, that should’ve been it; however, he continued to escalate the situation. Like the restaurant owner said, this encounter should not have taken so long.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In Mayberry the sheriff knows everyone and doesn't make
unneeded inquiries of locals.
Tell that to Rambo,

RamboTeasle.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He just wanted something to eat!!!!

But to be fair, Rambo was a drifter, not a local.

Only locals may eat in Sheriff Will Teasle's town.
My point was, like in racial profiling, in America persons are presumed innocent ‘thank God for now anyway’ and without probable cause are not to be interrogated by the police authorities.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So he didn't do anything to her; the police were just called because someone was looking at her? I hope she was fined.
Yes, she should be fined , forced to spend 10 real hours in jail and at leat 200 hours of community service. For making a false police report.And pay the damages of what tax payers will have to spend on this nightmare

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, she should be fined , forced to spend 10 real hours in jail and at leat 200 hours of community service. For making a false police report.And pay the damages of what tax payers will have to spend on this nightmare
I'm sorry, let me clarify. He was arrested by the same officer on a previous occasion because the officer claimed there was a warrant out for his arrest... there wasn't. In this case, the woman just called the police because someone stared at her to see if she would leave a parking space.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0