Donald's Fourth of July message

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Was there a part you disagreed with?

A few parts I found puzzling:

"I am here as your President to proclaim, before the country and before the world, this monument will never be desecrated." -- was he worried some protesters would try to pull it down?

"In our schools, our newsrooms, even our corporate boardrooms, there is a new far left fascism that demands absolute allegiance." -- 'fascism': Donald keeps using that word; I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

"Our children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe that the men and women who built it were not heroes, but villains." -- Donald is anti-education; color me shocked.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure his loyal and obedient followers lapped up every word.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I really don't have a problem with him. But he did order the monument construction on Mount Rushmore as part of his New Deal. So it it is as terrible as people say it is, it would be him to blame. Right?

A history lesson would work pretty well here: for starters, Congress approved the construction in 1925, and it was signed by President Coolidge.

So it's indeed a good thing you don't have a problem with FDR.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't think anyone has an issue with you or anyone else giving up your wealth, property, land, or time in order to make things more equitable.

The problem occurs when people insist I do it.

I wasn't aware people were demanding you give up your wealth, property, land, and/or time... you must be quite important.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't aware people were demanding you give up your wealth, property, land, and/or time... you must be quite important.

A great many of those crying about inequality are....some do just because I'm white.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A great many of those crying about inequality are....some do just because I'm white.

Odd... I'm white too, any nobody crying about inequality has asked me to give up anything. They want equal justice, equal opportunities, equal pay, etc... but their getting those things doesn't require me to lose anything.

I dunno... maybe it's just you.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A few parts I found puzzling:

"I am here as your President to proclaim, before the country and before the world, this monument will never be desecrated." -- was he worried some protesters would try to pull it down?

Perhaps TNT or something.

"In our schools, our newsrooms, even our corporate boardrooms, there is a new far left fascism that demands absolute allegiance." -- 'fascism': Donald keeps using that word; I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

Well...

Let's see...fascism is a rather problematic terms. Originally derived from a latin term for a bundle of sticks tied together I believe...the idea represented is "all for the state".

In practice, it's typified by first scapegoating a particular group or class, in this case white men or perhaps police. It's also easily spotted by the heavy propaganda and complete intolerance even to the point of violence of those who disagree with "the party line".

"Our children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe that the men and women who built it were not heroes, but villains." -- Donald is anti-education; color me shocked.

It sounds to me like he's against educators needlessly injecting their opinions as facts.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure his loyal and obedient followers lapped up every word.

So no argument then about the leftist mobs destroying monuments and their endless attempts to control speech?

Reactions: TexFire316
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The US Supreme Court itself now agrees that Mt. Rushmore's land belongs to the Oglalla Sioux tribe due to a treaty dating back to 1864 ceding that land to them.

That is not actually true.

In United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians (1980), the Supreme Court agreed that the Sioux Nation had not received just compensation for the land and, as the Sioux Nation had requested, ordered the payment of a fair price to the Sioux Nation, plus backdated interest. That money has been sitting in a bank account for many years; the current balance is $1.5 billion.

In United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians, the Supreme Court did not overturn the present ownership of the land.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Trump has no plan when it comes to the pressing problems of today. Look at his Covid19 failure. He has always let the states and even cities lead the way instead of coming up with a unified approach to this pandemic.

As in Australia, responsibility for Covid 19 responses in the US lies with the states, not with the federal government.

If the states mess up Covid 19 responses, responsibility lies with the leadership of those states.

Upvote 0

Evry'soul

Jun 21, 2020
Missouri
✟8,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wellllll, think about that for a moment. These "mobs" are out there precisely because we have a society that seems moribund when it comes to social and economic justice and equity. Who supports that sort of thing? Republicans. That's kind of what "Conservative" means.

But let's be generous for a moment and say Conservative Republicans want, desperately, for all people to have equal justice and equal opportunity that they simply differ in the means to get there. Well for the past 40 years we've enjoyed "Trickle Down Economics" as kind of the mainstay of our economy. This system was supposed to ensure money flowed to all levels of society and with that tide all boats would be lifted. The exact opposite has happened. AND we as a nation have failed to even address our inherent racism sufficiently to eliminate that problem.

What the scary people in the streets are showing you is what happens when progress is so slow as to be invisible to the oppressed. Even if YOU don't think they're oppressed, your opinion doesn't matter. Mobs don't operate that way. So instead of worrying over WHO'S destroying what, maybe we all need to think about WHY things are being destroyed.
Remarkable in that during those 40 years the democrats had the house, the senate and the presidency, as well as a left leaning supreme court, yet they continued that "trickle down" policy - with special favors for silicon valley. Democrats clearly and joyfully supported the policies that caused extreme economic divide in the same cities that are ablaze with looting, fires, protests and shootings. Ask the poor black residents of Minnesota who properties were destroyed " How did democrats policies help me when instead they burned my business, eliminated my police dept, spread covid by protesting, looted, and destroyed the only grocery store nearby? How worthless is my property now? Where will I go to get my prescription?" And what policies are the Democrats going to institute, other than tearing down a statue or set up another "chaz"?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

So he is worried about that... are you?

Well...

Let's see...fascism is a rather problematic terms. Originally derived from a latin term for a bundle of sticks tied together I believe...the idea represented is "all for the state".

In practice, it's typified by first scapegoating a particular group or class, in this case white men or perhaps police. It's also easily spotted by the heavy propaganda and complete intolerance even to the point of violence of those who disagree with "the party line".

Well, we could go with that definition... or a useful one:

Wikipedia said:
Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism[1][2] characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, as well as strong regimentation of society and of the economy[3] which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.[4] The first fascist movements emerged in Italy during World War I, before spreading to other European countries.[4] Opposed to liberalism, Marxism, and anarchism, fascism is placed on the far right within the traditional left–right spectrum.[4][5][6]

It sounds to me like he's against educators needlessly injecting their opinions as facts.

Personally, I'm against Donald needlessly injecting his opinions as facts... and I can't think of a single time when it hasn't been needless.

So no argument then about the leftist mobs destroying monuments and their endless attempts to control speech?

I don't approve of anyone trying to control speech... and some monuments deserve to be removed from the public square... shuffled off to a museum would be preferable, but if that's not an option, recycling will do.

If the leftist mobs are such a problem, why not join Donald's army to fight them?

Fight with President Trump!

For a man with "bone spurs," he sure does love the militaristic lingo, doesn't he?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You aren't listening then...reparations was a fair part of the left wing party debate this cycle.

My tax dollars at work. Uncle Sam's going to take my money no matter what... what's the difference between using it to support reparations and using it to buy a few more B-2 bombers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ummm....this had me puzzled. Perhaps someone who speaks his language could translate...?

“In the fields and jungles of Vietnam, they delivered a swift and swiffian, It was swift and it was sweeping like nobody’s ever seen happen. A victory in Operation Desert Storm, a lot of you were involved in that. A lot of you were involved. That was a quick one.”

Huh...??

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That is not actually true.

In United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians (1980), the Supreme Court agreed that the Sioux Nation had not received just compensation for the land and, as the Sioux Nation had requested, ordered the payment of a fair price to the Sioux Nation, plus backdated interest. That money has been sitting in a bank account for many years; the current balance is $1.5 billion.

In United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians, the Supreme Court did not overturn the present ownership of the land.

That court ruling acknowledges that the land belonged to the Sioux and was taken unlawfully. Well, the Sioux are not interested in monetary compensation for something holy, they want sovereignty over their own lands recognized.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What does the "Christian religion" have to do with the topic?

I note a common pattern of overwrought moralism and coercive shaming that runs through it all.

Furthermore, do you not think George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt are "good people" who did some great things worth celebrating regardless of the fact they may have done some bad things?

Acknowledging a good nature and celebrating their misdeeds are two different things. As Sr. Helen Prejean once put it, "people are more than the worst thing they ever did".

Or does FDR somehow get a pass for some strange reason?

I simply don't have to attack and villify him merely because he does something profoundly insensitive.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Well...

That's not exclusive to fascism, that could describe extreme authoritarian personalities in general, whether on the left or the right. Fascism, however, is an exclusively right wing form of political radical authoritarianism.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As in Australia, responsibility for Covid 19 responses in the US lies with the states, not with the federal government.

If the states mess up Covid 19 responses, responsibility lies with the leadership of those states.

True enough -- And since it's vital that people learn from their mistakes, let's look at those states that messed up and see if we can spot where they went wrong...

Governors who quickly reopened backpedal as virus surges

When Texas began lifting coronavirus restrictions, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott didn’t wear a mask. He wouldn’t let mayors enact extra precautions during one of America’s swiftest efforts to reopen. He pointed out that the White House backed his plan and gave assurances there were safe ways to go out again.

Two months later, a sharp reversal is unfolding as infections surge.

and here:

The escalating crisis is testing governors – many of them Republicans who aggressively reopened before most of the U.S. – as pressure mounts from their biggest cities, health experts and even friendly business groups. Any move backward could land them at odds with President Donald Trump, who has sought to move on from the virus and return to the campaign stage, all while refusing to wear a mask in public.

Near as I can tell, their choice of role model was mistake #1...

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.