Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems odd to me that this is even a debate. The system is designed to provide an advantage to less populous states. These also tend to be the states with few big cities and a more rural populace, which tends to vote Republican. How would this favor Democrats?

A ranking of states and their relative electoral vote value.
https://wallethub.com/edu/how-much-is-your-vote-worth/7932/

An actual vote electoral map from 2016:
https://www.270towin.com/maps/2016-actual-electoral-map

and from 2012:
https://www.270towin.com/maps/2016-actual-electoral-map

Notice how the majority of the most powerful states tend to vote Red, and the majority of the least powerful states then to vote Blue. There are certainly exceptions like Nevada and Alabama, but the rule seems to hold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

InterestedApologist

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
✟29,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hate to say it but your dad sort of missed the whole point of the Electoral college, it was designed specifically to defeat that very thing. :sorry:
tulc(and as has been pointed out: only Republicans have ever won through the Electoral college while losing the popular vote) :wave:

Early in his campaign Trump argued for removal of the electoral college. Hillary and the left largely criticized him and his “crazy” views on the integrity of the election process. Ironic in hindsight for both candidates I imagine. Myself, I still believe the electoral college is important for keeping a balanced republic.

I think Democrats should try using the popular vote in their primary process first before they start advocating it for the general election. Listening to Dems whine about Trump’s unproven collusion is hilarious when you consider what they did to Sanders.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Early in his campaign Trump argued for removal of the electoral college. Hillary and the left largely criticized him and his “crazy” views on the integrity of the election process. Ironic in hindsight for both candidates I imagine. Myself, I still believe the electoral college is important for keeping a balanced republic.
I never suggested getting rid of it, I just think it could use some tweaks to make it even more representative.

I think Democrats should try using the popular vote in their primary process first before they start advocating it for the general election.
and I think Republicans should stop pretending the guy they got into office represents "the American peoples choice". Once they stop making that claim people can stop correcting them. :)

Listening to Dems whine about Trump’s unproven collusion is hilarious when you consider what they did to Sanders.
Oh yeah, because there's no real difference between Americans doing something about an American election and a Russian doing it. And I might point out? President Trump still hasn't come up with one of those fourth grade school yard nicknames for President Putin that he and his base love so much...it's almost like someone who's trying not to annoy their boss or something. :scratch:
tulc(is sure there will be one soon when President Trump gets a crush on a different dictator) :wave:

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never suggested getting rid of it, I just think it could use some tweaks to make it even more representative.

and I think Republicans should stop pretending the guy they got into office represents "the American peoples choice". Once they stop making that claim people can stop correcting them. :)

Oh yeah, because there's no real difference between Americans doing something about an American election and a Russian doing it. And I might point out? President Trump still hasn't come up with one of those fourth grade school yard nicknames for President Putin that he and his base love so much...it's almost like someone who's trying not to annoy their boss or something. :scratch:
tulc(is sure there will be one soon when President Trump gets a crush on a different dictator) :wave:

I'm asking you because I honestly respect your opinion in these things: in what ways is the electoral college better than a popular vote system?

Upvote 0

InterestedApologist

Aug 17, 2017
Earth
✟29,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You want to make it more representative, or just more favorable to Democrats? If you truly want it more representative, what changes would you make.

He was elected president, thus he is, in a sense, the American people’s choice. Had Hillary won by electoral vote, the same would be said of her. There is nothing to correct, here.

I love that the left still thinks Republicans elected Trump, BTW. I have never seen a party so blindsided by a loss and so completely clueless as to how or why it happened.

So skewing an election isn’t a problem for you as long as your candidate comes out on top? If you’re going to attack every Trump inconsistency, you should try being consistent yourself first. It gives your point a little more validity. There can be no argument that the DNC manipulated the primary to ensure Sanders lost. Clearly Sanders was the more popular candidate, too. Why does the left excuse this as though it is perfectly acceptable business as usual and still feel justified in attacking Trump’s campaign?

There is still absolutely no proof of collusion, BTW. If anything, one could argue that there is a Russian attempt to destabilize Trump’s administration.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You want to make it more representative, or just more favorable to Democrats? If you truly want it more representative, what changes would you make.
that would be in post #11 of this thread. :wave:

He was elected president, thus he is, in a sense, the American people’s choice. Had Hillary won by electoral vote, the same would be said of her. There is nothing to correct, here.
An attitude noticeably absent during President Obama's administration. Particularly by the very guy sitting in the White House now.

I love that the left still thinks Republicans elected Trump, BTW. I have never seen a party so blindsided by a loss and so completely clueless as to how or why it happened.
Well, we're doing what we can to make his (and his ever obsequious base) time in office interesting. :)

So (snip)
Being lectured on the need to be "consistent" by people who support President Trump is always fun. It never fails to make me smile and chuckle. ;)

There is still absolutely no proof of collusion, BTW.
Was there any sort of proof you'd believe unless it was said by President Trump himself? No, don't answer that just yet. You think about it for a while and ask yourself if that's true: only if President Trump himself said there was collusion would you believe there was. Because at this point? The "there was no collusion" has become and article of faith among President Trumps supporters. :sigh:

If anything, one could argue that there is a Russian attempt to destabilize Trump’s administration.
...I honestly didn't know a dumpster fire could be destabilized. :eek:
tulc(likes learning something new everyday) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0