Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Nero was a terrible leader. In all the writings of the Apostles there was not one word spoken against him.

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. - Romans 13

I am not Democrat but I when Obama was president I did not speak a word out against him. And, going with the now closed thread, it is not Christian to hate a president.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am not Democrat but I when Obama was president I did not speak a word out against him.

Then you're truly a rare breed.

I think the majority of Christians speaking out against Trump are doing so because they're so compelled by their so-called brothers and sisters in Christ jumping at any opportunity to try and defend or normalise his actions that are unequivocally against Scripture and Biblical standards expected of Christians.

This isn't so much about discrediting Trump as it is about reaffirming Biblical standards that he's repeatedly acting completely contrary to.

Naturally the line between right and wrong tends to get a little lost in the scuffle, but that much is true of both sides and has been long before Trump.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament does command that Christians would submit themselves to governing authorities. But this does not mean that the NT didn't have a bad word to say about ungodly authorities. The Scriptures have plenty negative to say about wicked Herod the Great and Herod Antipas. John also speaks negatively of Nero in his Revelation, referring to him as a beast.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you're truly a rare breed.

I think the majority of Christians speaking out against Trump are doing so because they're so compelled by their so-called brothers and sisters in Christ jumping at any opportunity to try and defend or normalise his actions that are unequivocally against Scripture and Biblical standards expected of Christians.

This isn't so much about discrediting Trump as it is about reaffirming Biblical standards that he's repeatedly acting completely contrary to.

Naturally the line between right and wrong tends to get a little lost in the scuffle, but that much is true of both sides and has been long before Trump.

It's also about figuring out what is going on, in the Trump administration, for me anyway. From over here it all looks a bit random.

Upvote 0

Reconciliation and Truth

Nov 4, 2018
Midwest
✟19,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate Trump.

It is wrong to hate someone for their politics, but I hate Trump as he is a disgusting person.

It is okay to hate disgusting people. Being President does not make him less disgusting. It does not justify being disgusting.

He bragged about sexual assault. He threatens women for revealing his attacks, even though he admits it. He has had many wives and sleeps with prostitutes.

He admits to walking around dressing rooms of under-aged girls. Girls have said he looked at them naked. This is just one aspect of his many vices.

He is disgusting- that he was elected by the electoral college does not mean God picked him. I believe many people are deeply troubled by their choice, their choice, and try to rationalize it.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nero was a terrible leader. In all the writings of the Apostles there was not one word spoken against him.

The question is, what good would it have done to speak against him? The man was evil, an instrument of Satan. That's a judgment call the Lord has commanded us to make in accordance with His righteousness. It's not speaking against the man so much as it's a judgment of his works.

Obama was on par with Nero. The office of the president is indeed an office of authority. It's also true the Lord hates workers of iniquity (Ps 5:5). Obama and Nero both were/are workers of iniquity, although their governmental authority was ordained by God.....except for those things they commanded that go against the word of God.

I am not Democrat but I when Obama was president I did not speak a word out against him. And, going with the now closed thread, it is not Christian to hate a president.

Again, you will have to define what you mean by speaking against them. I prayed that the Lord would remove Obama by whatever means He so chose, and it did not happen until he had to leave office after his second term. He was/is an evil man in need of Christ, and his presidency was as anti-God as one could be as president. That is simply speaking of what was/is with the honest truth based upon his actions and words. He as a man is who and what he is by his own choosing.

If you define "speaking against him" as one saying he is/was not our leader, when in fact he was the executive over the federal government rather than the people as a king, then perhaps you would be correct. Denying/Declaring what a man is contrary to harsh realities, that is foolishness in any context. However, a president's character, as understood by his actions and words, we are called to judge the fruit. If you personally are not willing to do that, then not doing so doesn't make you or anyone else better than those of us who DO judge the fruit. You are no more in line with God's word than any of the rest who do call out evil when they see it.

I prayed the Lord would take Obama by the scruff of his neck and direct him in the way of good, and that the Lord would lift His mighty hand against those powers and principalities that were/are behind that evil man, that we ALL may live peaceful lives.

As to Trump, well, I do not believe he is a man to be trusted with his having been a liberal Democrat for more than 40 years before flip-flopping over onto the Republican side to run for president. He never promised to exercise fiscal responsibility, and he still is not doing that by having increased our national debt by more than one trillion. That makes him suspect to say the least.

He could very well be the anti-christ for all we know, for it is written that the anti-christ will establish a peace alliance between Israel and at least some of her enemies, and Trump is the one man the Israelites trust in order for him to accomplish that very thing. Obama they did not trust at all. The office Trump holds is indeed ordained of God, but that does not mean that we extend respect for any man's character where it has not been earned.

Trump has done (what seems to be) some good things, and has stated some things that sound good. The same is true of the coming anti-christ, who will speak swelling things to get people to support him, and eventually to worship him. What will you do then?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate Trump.

It is wrong to hate someone for their politics, but I hate Trump as he is a disgusting person.

It is okay to hate disgusting people. Being President does not make him less disgusting. It does not justify being disgusting.

He bragged about sexual assault. He threatens women for revealing his attacks, even though he admits it. He has had many wives and sleeps with prostitutes.

He admits to walking around dressing rooms of under-aged girls. Girls have said he looked at them naked. This is just one aspect of his many vices.

He is disgusting- that he was elected by the electoral college does not mean God picked him. I believe many people are deeply troubled by their choice, their choice, and try to rationalize it.

Love your enemies. It is not ok to hate anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reconciliation and Truth

Nov 4, 2018
Midwest
✟19,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love your enemies. It is not ok to hate anyone.

You should show love to your enemies. If I despise a person I know, I should love them, however repulsive they are. However, I am not to love a person that I know only conceptually, not personally.

If I meet a child rapist in prison, I should love them in the sense of showing them love and recognizing that they are an image of God. I am not about to say that I love a child rapist whom I will never meet, especially if he continues to victimize people.

Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with Reconciliation and Truth. I don't think I've known anyone more thoroughly disgusting and tasteless than him. It's not just his policies, which are needlessly but deliberately cruel. He has no redeeming qualities.

I was born at the end of Reagan's first term in office. Although I don't remember much of anything from his time in office, I have serious disagreements with many of his policies. The same is true of George HW and Dubya. But even with them I can think of things that were good about them. I can't think of one with Donny, and it's not just because I loathe him and his administration. As an American and a Christian I look at him and think that he's like selfishness and narcissism made elemental.

Yes, there's the old saw that you "hate the sinner and not the sin", but I hate both. I hate his policies. I hate his cruelty. I hate his utter narcissism. I hate what he's done and continues to do to this country.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Joyeuse

Apr 22, 2019
Texas
✟16,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm agaisnt President Trump, but I don't hate him, I just strongly disagree with most of his actions. However, the way Conservatives and Protestants worship him is intolerable. There's no way to normalize or justify his actions. Sanders said she thought Trump was sent by God. There's nothing to suggest such as blasphemy but her way to politicize God.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. - Romans 13

First off I'm not referring to Trump in any reference to good or evil leaders or in any degrees in between. But see verse 4 and 5; the scripture is clearly referring to good leaders who are there to ensure justice is served, not evil leaders who would have us do evil to others. According to some interpretations of these scriptures Hitler was led by the Holy Spirit while exterminating the Jews, conquering Europe, and generally not loving others as he would want to be loved.

John the Baptist reproved Herod, and the apostles preached the Gospel in defiance of the leadership in Jerusalem. We live in America where we elect government representatives whom we entrust with the power to govern. It is our responsibility to remove corrupt leaders from office according to the powers given to the people in the Constitution. When our leaders lie to us and commit crimes, it is not ungodliness to speak the Truth and say they lie and commit crimes.

Finally, the reason we're supposed to love our enemies is the same reason why we should return good for evil. And that is because it's a spiritual battle we are fighting and we are not fighting against flesh and blood.

Last edited:
Upvote 0