Donald hints at executive order to cover pre-existing medical conditions...

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Trump teases order requiring insurers to cover preexisting conditions

President Trump on Friday teased an executive order to require health insurers to cover all preexisting conditions, something already established under the Affordable Care Act, which his administration is suing to dismantle.

"Over the next two weeks I’ll be pursuing a major executive order requiring health insurance companies to cover all preexisting conditions for all companies," Trump said during a news conference at his Bedminster property in New Jersey. "That’s a big thing. I’ve always been very strongly in favor. We have to cover preexisting conditions."

I gotta admit, I always knew he'd fail to dismantle Obamacare, but I never thought I'd see him try to steal it...

Thoughts?

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe he just wants it to be called Trumpcare.

Well, for it to be worthy of the name, he's going to have to find some way to make it fail spectacularly...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The best I can figure on a glance is that Trump is still trying to get rid of Obama care, and not because everything about it is bad. So what is happening, is he is getting ahead of this, and if Obama care is abolished, he wants to be certain we still have preexisting conditions covered.

So while it is reported to look like Trump is doing something stupid, it is so stupid that those who aren't stupid will realize something must be wrong here (no one fights for something they already have) they then look into it and see what appears to be the truth, as in:

Trump is right on top of this, doing a good thing, and NOT the stupid thing main stream media would have us believe.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why do I have the strangest feeling we aren't getting all the information on this.

Because you're ideologically required to disbelieve anything that potentially paints Donald in a negative light.

But seriously, what's the big mystery?

1. Donald stated during a news conference the importance of covering pre-existing medical conditions.

2. The ACA (Which the GOP has tried and failed for years to repeal, and indeed, even managed to fail when they held both houses of Congress and the presidency -- now that's epic level failure!) has always required insurance carriers to cover pre-existing conditions.

Perhaps the information you're missing is this:

1. The individual mandate, which required all Americans to carry health insurance, was the one part of the ACA that the GOP did actually manage to repeal (back when they exploded the deficit in 2017 with their tax cut).

2. That individual mandate was what paid for the ACA... including the provision that required the insurance carriers to cover pre-existing conditions.

Which would mean that Donald has no plan, no means to foot the bill, and no clue what to do except make pie-in-the-sky promises.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because you're ideologically required to disbelieve anything that potentially paints Donald in a negative light.

But seriously, what's the big mystery?

1. Donald stated during a news conference the importance of covering pre-existing medical conditions.

2. The ACA (Which the GOP has tried and failed for years to repeal, and indeed, even managed to fail when they held both houses of Congress and the presidency -- now that's epic level failure!) has always required insurance carriers to cover pre-existing conditions.

Perhaps the information you're missing is this:

1. The individual mandate, which required all Americans to carry health insurance, was the one part of the ACA that the GOP did actually manage to repeal (back when they exploded the deficit in 2017 with their tax cut).

2. That individual mandate was what paid for the ACA... including the provision that required the insurance carriers to cover pre-existing conditions.

Which would mean that Donald has no plan, no means to foot the bill, and no clue what to do except make pie-in-the-sky promises.

After reading that, probably easier to just ask if you were saying I was wrong or I was right?

If you think I'm wrong, could you please sum up why in something simple to understand and short as possible? Thanks

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts?

First, Trump was accused (in TV commercials, no less) of wanting to take away coverage for preexisting conditions.

Then, when he takes steps to guarantee coverage in the case of preexisting conditions...he's criticized.

:sleep:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
After reading that, probably easier to just ask if you were saying I was wrong or I was right?

If you think I'm wrong, could you please sum up why in something simple to understand and short as possible? Thanks

Actually, I think you're right. I made it as simple as I could, but politics is an inherently complicated topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Then, when he takes steps to guarantee coverage in the case of preexisting conditions...

Would you kindly point out the steps he has taken to guarantee coverage? All I heard was a vague promise with no substance.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Would you kindly point out the steps he has taken to guarantee coverage? All I heard was a vague promise with no substance.
Frankly, I have not been close to that particular issue, but my point was about something else.

In your OP, just the prospect of the President doing something to guarantee the coverage of preexisting conditions brought a nasty accusation. As we all should remember, there was no shortage of critics complaining until now that he was an awful person because he allegedly wasn't going to do that.

So you see, it's no wonder that people recognize that this sort of thing is just a matter of politics. If he said the sun was likely to rise tomorrow, he would be instantly criticized as presumptuous or something else equally silly.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Frankly, I have not been close to that particular issue, but my point was about something else.

In your OP, just the prospect of the President doing something to guarantee the coverage of preexisting conditions brought a nasty accusation. As we all should remember, there was no shortage of critics complaining until now that he was an awful person because he allegedly wasn't going to do that.

So you see, it's no wonder that people recognize that this sort of thing is just a matter of politics. If he said the sun was likely to rise tomorrow, he would be instantly criticized as presumptuous or something else equally silly.

The only reason Trump needs to do this is because he is trying to repeal the ACA. Trump wants to keep the campaign promise of repealing Obamacare. He tried going through Congress which is a good idea because if they repeal it, they can sunset it to get a new plan in place (A plan that still doesn’t exist).

When that failed Trump tried to go through the courts where it is working through now. The problem with this is the court could say the ACA is null and void now. At that moment a lot of people would lose coverage because of their pre-existing conditions because insurance companies have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to make money and would drop every pre-existing condition person immediately. Those people would destroy Trump at the polls.

Someone got into Trump’s ear that this could be a problem. So Trump is hedging his bet by putting this executive order in place so he can have his cake (repeal the ACA) and eat it too (not get obliterated at the polls for costing people their health insurance).

This is nakedly political maneuvering by Trump. It’s nice for him to do but it is sort of like throwing a rope down a well to help the man out who you shoved down the well in the first place. Yeah, it’s good to do it but it would be better to not create the situation in the first place.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Then your point belongs somewhere else.
Feel sorry for Donald there.

Tell what what steps he's taken to guarantee pre-existing coverage (you know, substantiate your claim) here.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, it's pertinent...if perhaps discomfiting.

By your own admission, it was off topic.

Now, either you can substantiate your claim that Donald has actually taken steps to guarantee coverage for pre-existing conditions, or your words are about as good as Donald's.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Covering pre-existing conditions is mandatory. But—knowing how some insurance carriers have operated in the past—there are fine print details that must be clarified: Health insurers must cover treatment for pre-existing conditions at standard rates. And without a waiting period.

Not to get off topic, but there’s another ACA consumer protection that Trumpcare should provide. That’s prohibiting insurers from setting lifetime benefit limits. Which was standard practice in the bad old days. Usually, after paying $1,000,000 in medical bills, the insurer was done for the rest of the beneficiary’s life. That may sound like a lot, but it’s not. The cost of 6-8 months of neonatal intensive care for a preemie born at 28 weeks could easily be in 7 figures. The the child has no further medical coverage under that insurer. ACA eliminated that. Will Trumpcare do the same?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status