✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
Um, no.... :) I respectfully disagree with you, elanor. I listen to his music, and am well aware of all those songs too. However, I do not read his song lyrics, see his music videos and like most people, I don't actually make out the words in every song. :)

Well I would say you are not really listening to his music then it is just backround noise. For those artist that you do really like/listen to I bet you know the lyrics.

Having said that, I'm naturally inclined to think that most mainstream musicians are liberal in their beliefs.

Okay but not sure what this has to do with anything.

But again I point out what I said earlier.... when you pay money to go out to eat, did you pay for your waiter to interrupt your dinner to discuss his political views with you? Does he tell you your fillet mignon is dedicated to John Kerry? ;)

James now you know that is not the same at all. Come on cut it out. Music has been, ever since the onslaught of rock and roll a voice of political expression so to make that claim is kind of well silly. :)

But that is okay because we understand that you are confused being conservative and all :p

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
Um, no.... :) I respectfully disagree with you, elanor. I listen to his music, and am well aware of all those songs too. However, I do not read his song lyrics, see his music videos and like most people, I don't actually make out the words in every song. :) Having said that, I'm naturally inclined to think that most mainstream musicians are liberal in their beliefs.

But again I point out what I said earlier.... when you pay money to go out to eat, did you pay for your waiter to interrupt your dinner to discuss his political views with you? Does he tell you your fillet mignon is dedicated to John Kerry? ;)
James, no! You and I disagreeing?! What were the odds? ;) :D Well, I'm kinda with mhatten on this. Henley's politics were right there to be heard all along. You just had to listen.

So why do you think most mainstream musicians are liberal in their beliefs? Is there something inherent in the profession that draws liberals? Or do you think their beliefs push them toward that?

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
Well I would say you are not really listening tohis music then it is just backround noise. For those artisit that you do really like/listen to I bet you know the lyrics.

What... are you the music police now? ;) I most certainly listen to music, but when I was about 12 I ruptured my eardrums in a scuba diving incident. Since then its been hard for me to pick out distinct sounds in a myriad of noises. I rarely pick out all the spoken words in a song.... or when I think I do, I realize later I had completely gotten the words all wrong. I don't look up lyrics now because of that... lol, it really changed my opinion of certain songs I really loved when I thought they were saying something else.

okay but not sure what this has to do with anything.

LOL, oh c'mon, mhatten...its not a slur, its just a well-known fact. Can you name many 'conservative' musicians? I can only think of one outspoken conservative. However, I could probably name you 20 musicians/bands that make known their tilt to the left. Its not derogatory....... its just the truth. :)

James now you know that is not the same at all. Come on cut it out. Music has been ever since the onslaught of rock and roll a voice of political expression so to make that claim is kind of well silly.

But that is okay becuase we understand that you are confused being conservative and all :p

Mhatten, please..... I challenge that entirely. What in the world does music have to do with political speeches? Nothing. Sure, many musicians (starting a loooooooong way back before "rock"....Woody Guthry anyone?) write music addressing social issues, but play the song....... don't give us a political speech on candidates. Its the same thing with movies, mhatten. You don't think that the movie industry has been any less involved in political issues? So you wouldn't mind watching a movie and having it paused while a brief political spiel about how Bush (example that should hit home ;) ) is the only president that can effectively lead our country at this time and that the second half of this movie is dedicated to Bush? That really wouldn't surprise you? That wouldn't bother you? ;)

I'd really love to hear your reply. :)

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
elanor said:
James, no! You and I disagreeing?! What were the odds? ;) :D Well, I'm kinda with mhatten on this. Henley's politics were right there to be heard all along. You just had to listen.

So why do you think most mainstream musicians are liberal in their beliefs? Is there something inherent in the profession that draws liberals? Or do you think their beliefs push them toward that?

I'm sure if I gave it some thought I could rationally explain the disproportionate amount of "liberally" minded people in music. Until you and mhatten challenged it, I honestly thought its apparent and well known by all. I'm still of the opinion that the rest of the world believes it to be the case too. :)

I can tell you that I don't believe one's political views push them towards music, however, their positions on social issues probably does, I'm sure. Woody Guthrie would be a classic example of this (and I even own a CD of his :eek: shocked? ;) )

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Most of you would have really hated the folk music period wouldn't you, not to mention all of the protest music of the 60's. LOL. Anyway, those who are so "offended" (and let's face it-rightwingers have perfected that fake hysterical outrage thing) that you walked out on a concert you paid a hundred bucks for, good, glad you left, it's good to get all the jerks out of the audience before the fun starts anyway.

By the way, politics and music have a long, long history. For instance: Billie Holliday: Strange Fruit.

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
I'm sure if I gave it some thought I could rationally explain the disproportionate amount of "liberally" minded people in music. Until you and mhatten challenged it, I honestly thought its apparent and well known by all. I'm still of the opinion that the rest of the world believes it to be the case too. :)
:D It's okay, james. I suspect mhatten and I often feel like it's us against the rest of the world. ;) :D

Lillithspeak said:
Most of you would have really hated the folk music period wouldn't you, not to mention all of the protest music of the 60's...

By the way, politics and music have a long, long history. For instance: Billie Holliday: Strange Fruit.
Wow! So few people know the song "Strange Fruit." That one just rips at my heart.

I LOVED the protest songs of the '60's/'70's! I played Joan Baez' "Bangladesh" album so much that I wore it out.

See a teenage mother's vacant eyes
As she watches her feeble baby try
To fight the monsoon rains
And the cholera flies.

Still gets me.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
jameseb said:
What... are you the music police now? ;)

I am the music police and the fashion police (remember that thread in politics I posted), I should apply to be a moderator. :cool:

I most certainly listen to music, but when I was about 12 I ruptured my eardrums in a scuba diving incident. Since then its been hard for me to pick out distinct sounds in a myriad of noises. I rarely pick out all the spoken words in a song.... or when I think I do, I realize later I had completely gotten the words all wrong. I don't look up lyrics now because of that... lol, it really changed my opinion of certain songs I really loved when I thought they were saying something else.

I am sorry to hear about your ears. I must say though without knowing that specific information did I make the call or what, see music police :)

LOL, oh c'mon, mhatten...its not a slur, its just a well-known fact.

I didn't take it as a slur James it just seemed to pop out of nowhere.

Can you name many 'conservative' musicians? I can only think of one outspoken conservative. However, I could probably name you 20 musicians/bands that make known their tilt to the left. Its not derogatory....... its just the truth. :)

Conservative musicians hmmmmm

Beethoven, Bach ohh I guess you meant in today's era :p

040527_jonnyRamone_hmed_7p.hmedium.jpg

“God bless President Bush, and God bless America!” shouted Johnny Ramone, center, flanked by Dee Dee Ramone, left, and Marky Ramone at the Ramones’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March 2002.

also visit here and here and a large number of country music musicians are conservative.

Mhatten, please..... I challenge that entirely. What in the world does music have to do with political speeches?

If I go to see Bob Dylan or U2 I am not going to be surprised if they take a moment to discuss something political and that goes for any other outwardly political musician.

Its the same thing with movies, mhatten. You don't think that the movie industry has been any less involved in political issues? So you wouldn't mind watching a movie and having it paused while a brief political spiel about how Bush (example that should hit home ;) ) is the only president that can effectively lead our country at this time and that the second half of this movie is dedicated to Bush? That really wouldn't surprise you? That wouldn't bother you? ;)

Ohh I would mind that indeed, but if they stopped for Kerry :p

Again James that is not the same thing at all.

Seriously I would not mind if it was done before the start of the movie or after the movie but to stop the movie yes I would object if it was for Bush , Kerry or anyone. Music is however different, between songs one can take time to politicize, not that I advocate that but they could.

Upvote 0

RJ1

Jul 24, 2004
✟1,949.00
Faith
Christian
I am the music police and the fashion police (remember that thread in politics I posted), I should apply to be a moderator. :cool:
You should apply. You'd be great!!

Uh, if you're the music and fashion police could you please come and arrest my husband? He's listening to Slim Whitman in his boxers. I need help. LOL!!!

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:

I'm still with PKR on this one... He looks suave... :cool:

I am sorry to hear about your ears. I must say though without knowing that specific information did I make the call or what, see music police :)

Ah, no biggie. Its not really a problem except for music and when people slur their words. :)

Bah, you're going to have to pick one and share the other with Elanor here... music or fashion. However, as noted in your link above, you obviously know nothing about fashion! :p He's still too tres chic! :D Admit, it.. you love plaid! ;)

I didn't take it as a slur James it just seemed to pop out of nowhere.

Good then, but we were talking about Don's political views... I figured it was more of a line-drive than out of the ball park :)

Conservative musicians hmmmmm

Beethoven, Bach ohh I guess you meant in today's era :p

LOL, the funny part is that I almost said don't even think about going there (Bach came right to mind!) since you set the advent around the age of Rock-n-roll. So don't cheat! :p Besides, we can't independently confirm Bach was conservative. :holy: Although his death did signal the end of the Baroque period of music, so you could possibly stretch to say he clinged tightly to tradition. ;) Thin though...veeeeery thin!

“God bless President Bush, and God bless America!” shouted Johnny Ramone, center, flanked by Dee Dee Ramone, left, and Marky Ramone at the Ramones’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March 2002.

But were they being serious? :p However, that's good... you came up with a whole, single one band. :angel: Actually, I know of two artist that tilt conservative but maybe I'll wait and see if someone can guess who they are....

also visit here and...

*pause*

"Conservativepunk.com" isn't a band. And read this clip from the site:

"Punk music has been, and still is, one of the most heavy-handed genres of music there is. Unfortunately the topics of such heavy-handed songs are almost always seeped in left wing propaganda, bumper sticker rallying calls and oversimplifications of otherwise complex topics."

:p

*resume*

here and a large number of country music musicians are conservative.

Mmmm.. I can't buy into those kind of assumptions. Particularly when some of the biggest names in country are Democrats (Dixie Chicks, Toby Keith). C'mon though... this should be eeeeeasy considering how many liberal musicians I can name..... let's see actualy names of conservative bands. :)

If I go to see Bob Dylan or U2 I am not going to be surprised if they take a moment to discuss something political and that goes for any other outwardly political musician.

Most people are fairly informed about these two in particular. They're pretty high profile when it comes to their position on issues and politics, just like Willie Nelson.

Ohh I would mind that indeed, but if they stopped for Kerry :p

Ah-ha! So if they stopped it for Bush you would be upset about it, wouldn't you? :D

Again James that is not the same thing at all.

Seriously I would not mind if it was done before the start of the movie or after the movie but to stop the movie yes I would object if it was for Bush , Kerry or anyone. Music is however different, between songs one can take time to politicize, not that I advocate that but they could.

Most don't.... at least, I'm a veteran of many, many concerts (which probably didn't help my hearing either ;) ) and I can't recall a single political lecture given at any of them... not even as just a brief respite between songs. I've seen roughly 30+ bands in concert too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have seen well over 500, have heard some political stuff. It is their opinion and they have a right to it. Honestly, if I was a rock musician I would not be friendly twords the Republican party, as some yahoo is always trying to ban someting.

Upvote 0