✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Firscherscherling said:
Interesting. Seems to me that some of us have a larger voice than others. An opportunity to express an opinion that is heard by many rather than just a few.
1 - So the question becomes, if you were one of those people with a larger voice, would you use it, or would you simply "shut up and sing"? I'd like to think I'd use it. And, based on my experience in concert going, I'd say 90% of the people I've seen choose to use it as well.

2 - So, is the issue that he expressed a political opinion on stage, or that you disagree with that opinion?
2a - If he'd said, "Stop the madness. Put an end to abortion." would you have booed and stormed out, or cheered?

3 - So if I go to a Toby Keith concert and he praises the president and the war, should I storm out? Should I have expected something else? Shouldn't I have known before I went in that he had a different set of political views than I?

4 - Seems like a case of poor judgement and thin skin for those who stormed out.
1 - Depends on how committed I am to the subject.
2 - The issue is whether the audience agrees or not.
2a - Cheered.
3 - Your choice. If you don't know what you're getting with Toby, you're living in a cave.
4 - Poor judgement yes - his. Thin skin? Nope. Lawful reaction.
He's entitled to speak his mind. I'm entitled to my lawful reaction. Period. M

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2 - The issue is whether the audience agrees or not.
Which is why the premise of the thread seemed kinda silly. I figured sooner or later someone would just boil it down to 'Don Henley disagrees with me. He shouldn't. Therefore, he should be booed.'

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Firscherscherling said:
Interesting. Seems to me that some of us have a larger voice than others. An opportunity to express an opinion that is heard by many rather than just a few. So the question becomes, if you were one of those people with a larger voice, would you use it, or would you simply "shut up and sing"? I'd like to think I'd use it. And, based on my experience in concert going, I'd say 90% of the people I've seen choose to use it as well.

So, is the issue that he expressed a political opinion on stage, or that you disagree with that opinion? If he'd said, "Stop the madness. Put an end to abortion." would you have booed and stormed out, or cheered?

So if I go to a Toby Keith concert and he praises the president and the war, should I storm out? Should I have expected something else? Shouldn't I have known before I went in that he had a different set of political views than I?

Seems like a case of poor judgement and thin skin for those who stormed out.

Disagree completely. It's the political rhetoric, period. Sorry. I'm pro-life - but someone, especially a MAN, giving his opinion on the matter during a concert would make me VERY uneasy & uncomfortable, whether I agreed or disagreed. I'm supposed to be there to ENJOY myself & get AWAY from "serious", depressing issues. It's OUR money we are spending on entertainers to "entertain" us for a few hours. If they want to voice their opinions in some other forum I'm not paying for, be my guest.

P.S. Most of America knows Toby Keith's stance, so it's not a "shocker" if an artist who WRITES SONGS in support of military & the President gives Bush a "yahoo!". Bad example, sorry. I had no idea how Don Henley felt about the President, nor do I CARE.

Upvote 0

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
jeffthefinn said:
It is no different than being subjected to pro bush rhetoric in church of all places!
Jeff the Finn

Uh, my church simply prays for the world leaders. I wonder, is it "pro-Bush" or his support of "pro-LIFE"??

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
burrow_owl said:
Which is why the premise of the thread seemed kinda silly. I figured sooner or later someone would just boil it down to 'Don Henley disagrees with me. He shouldn't. Therefore, he should be booed.'[/font]
What part of "I'm entitled to my opinion and my reaction" is so friggin hard to understand? Charlton Heston and Dennis Miller take hits for their politics.People react. Get over it. M

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
MichaelFJF said:
What part of "I'm entitled to my opinion and my reaction" is so friggin hard to understand? Charlton Heston and Dennis Miller take hits for their politics.People react. Get over it. M
No. It is you who don't get it. I don't care if you are...

a) too uneducated about the artist you are going to see to know that he holds a particular view and might express it.
b) so thin skinned that you'd let a 10-second statement ruin your whole evening.
c) choose to storm out and throw away your $100.00 ticket. (just more dancing room for me)

It seems to me the issue of the OP is not whether or not you have the right to storm out in angry protest. Go ahead. Just please get on with it and buy tickets to see Toby Keith next time.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem is simple, it's not fair. An artist has 20,000 watts, the person paying for the concert has zero watts. If you had this problem in the street in front of your house you would be clear on why this is wrong. It's not free speech, it's kidnapping and force feeding, rude, and just plain wrong. Also, it's not even political, it's hate speech, it totally different from supporting a president, it's not supporting Kerry, it's bashing Bush, these things are not one and the same. One is an opinion the other is an attempt to polarize us against something, that's not political, it's brainwashing.

If they said, "I support Kerry", that's political. If they say "Bush is a murder", that's brainwashing, mind control tactics that not only don't belong at a concert, they should be rejected by anyone, anywhere.

Reactions: vatuck
Upvote 0

jsn112

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2004
✟5,679.00
Faith
Non-Denom
eldermike said:
The problem is simple, it's not fair. An artist has 20,000 watts, the person paying for the concert has zero watts. If you had this problem in the street in front of your house you would be clear on why this is wrong. It's not free speech, it's kidnapping and force feeding, rude, and just plain wrong. Also, it's not even political, it's hate speech, it totally different from supporting a president, it's not supporting Kerry, it's bashing Bush, these things are not one and the same. One is an opinion the other is an attempt to polarize us against something, that's not political, it's brainwashing.

If they said, "I support Kerry", that's political. If they say "Bush is a murder", that's brainwashing, mind control tactics that not only don't belong at a concert, they should be rejected by anyone, anywhere.

Well spoken. :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would prefer entertainers to entertain. Not ruin an evening by reminding people of the troubles of the world.
If anyone hasn't noticed we are divided evenly. 50-50 for and against.
So half of your audience will be against your statements.

So make your comments on the news, but I didn't pay to here a political commentary.
Linda, Bruce, Henly, find a news station to do an interview. And do what we paid to see.

I didn't know Henly's political views. WHere as Toby Keith's patriotism is well advertised.

Heres a clue: If they went to entertain the troops they probably are patriotic.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
burrow_owl said:
Which is why the premise of the thread seemed kinda silly. I figured sooner or later someone would just boil it down to 'Don Henley disagrees with me. He shouldn't. Therefore, he should be booed.'[/font]

There was actually a well made point by another poster who suggested they didn't pay $50 to hear political rhetoric. Some of us go to concerts to have fun and unwind, escape the realities of the world for two or three hours. Talking politics can crash that whole mood. I wouldn't care for politics being thrown at me either during a concert... particularly if it wasn't even politics I agreed with and then have a song I really liked by that artist then played with the intent to smack my candidate across the face with it. Makes it a lil' harder to get into the song and mood, ya know? ;)

P.S.

Be forewarned, if you're liberally inclined, do not, I reapeat, DO NOT go to a Ted Nugent concert. :)

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jameseb said:
Be forewarned, if you're liberally inclined, do not, I reapeat, DO NOT go to a Ted Nugent concert.
or musically inclined, for that matter.
here was actually a well made point by another poster who suggested they didn't pay $50 to hear political rhetoric.
I stand by my contention that if you see a gasbag like Don Henley, you assume the risk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
burrow_owl said:
or musically inclined, for that matter.

You obviously haven't heard his Bill and Hillary song or you'd be screaming, "Play that funky music, white boy!" ;)

That was a snappy comeback though... particularly the "gasbag," though I actually do appreciate a lot of his music..and wouldn't be inclined to make such a remark myself. ;)

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How would you like spending a night out on the town dining with your husband/wife only to have your waiter stand at your table preaching politics to you?
wink.gif
Good point. And, what if you went to a movie and the owner of the theater stopped the movie right in the middle and took the stage a gave a speech?

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Nuge knows his calling: making premium jerky. He should stick to that and far, far away from politics, music, and their unfortunate intersection (what? it's all unfortunate except for Billy Bragg? Yeah, I know, but I was trying to get around to that without coming off like a total hypocrite. Ah well, so much for principles....).

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
eldermike said:
Good point. And, what if you went to a movie and the owner of the theater stopped the movie right in the middle and took the stage a gave a speech?

Oh, now that is a real pet peeve of mine... talking during a movie! That owner better hope I'd already eaten all my cheesy nachos before he got up there. ;)

But honestly, another well made point. These are recreational activities we spend hard-earned money on to indugle in. I think its entirely dishonest for the 'entertainer' to give you anything but what you paid money to enjoy.

Upvote 0