Don’t misunderstand the rise of the Nones. What parishes need now is not new programs, but more lay people whose everyday lives are an attractive...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... witness to the Catholic faith

By now it is well known that the Catholic Church in America—and organized religion more generally—must contend with the sudden growth of people who identify with “no religion.” Nearly 30% of Americans now check the box for “no religion,”[1] including 40 percent of millennials.[2] The Catholic Church has been hit especially hard: for each person who joins the Catholic Church, nearly seven leave.[3] Many who become religious “Nones” claim they no longer affiliate with organized religion because of its closemindedness, corruption, or an apparent incompatibility between science and religion.[4]

To some, these developments present a clear challenge with an obvious solution: do a better job catechizing young people by presenting them with arguments that prevent them from believing misconceptions about the Church. One of the most prominent promoters of this perspective is Bishop Robert Barron, who laments that “the reasons [Nones] offer for abandoning Christianity are just so uncompelling.” He continues, “I do blame teachers, catechists, evangelists, and academics within the Christian churches for not doing enough to keep our young people engaged. These studies consistently demonstrate that unless we believers seriously pick up our game intellectually, we’re going to keep losing our kids.”[5]

On the surface, this diagnosis is appealing because it identifies a clear problem whose solution fits within the existing ministry framework at most parishes and dioceses. If only catechists offered more intentional and compelling arguments for the faith, then fewer young people would drift away from the Church. While it is certainly true that better catechesis would provide a sturdier intellectual foundation for a life of faith—preventing some from leaving the Church—the idea that the growth of religious Nones can be attributed primarily to a low awareness of Catholic doctrine represents a misunderstanding of formation, deconversion processes, and human behavior more generally. Targeting common theological misconceptions may be helpful in some cases, but ultimately it only addresses the surface-level effects of the “rise of the Nones” rather than its underlying causes.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
... witness to the Catholic faith

By now it is well known that the Catholic Church in America—and organized religion more generally—must contend with the sudden growth of people who identify with “no religion.” Nearly 30% of Americans now check the box for “no religion,”[1] including 40 percent of millennials.[2] The Catholic Church has been hit especially hard: for each person who joins the Catholic Church, nearly seven leave.[3] Many who become religious “Nones” claim they no longer affiliate with organized religion because of its closemindedness, corruption, or an apparent incompatibility between science and religion.[4]

To some, these developments present a clear challenge with an obvious solution: do a better job catechizing young people by presenting them with arguments that prevent them from believing misconceptions about the Church. One of the most prominent promoters of this perspective is Bishop Robert Barron, who laments that “the reasons [Nones] offer for abandoning Christianity are just so uncompelling.” He continues, “I do blame teachers, catechists, evangelists, and academics within the Christian churches for not doing enough to keep our young people engaged. These studies consistently demonstrate that unless we believers seriously pick up our game intellectually, we’re going to keep losing our kids.”[5]

On the surface, this diagnosis is appealing because it identifies a clear problem whose solution fits within the existing ministry framework at most parishes and dioceses. If only catechists offered more intentional and compelling arguments for the faith, then fewer young people would drift away from the Church. While it is certainly true that better catechesis would provide a sturdier intellectual foundation for a life of faith—preventing some from leaving the Church—the idea that the growth of religious Nones can be attributed primarily to a low awareness of Catholic doctrine represents a misunderstanding of formation, deconversion processes, and human behavior more generally. Targeting common theological misconceptions may be helpful in some cases, but ultimately it only addresses the surface-level effects of the “rise of the Nones” rather than its underlying causes.

Continued below.
Closed minded is self projection because what is that?
Close minded.

I find it so less than entertaining that for all they say about it is all they themselves have become.

How in the world does science, who explicitly states the study is imperfect and they continue to study it, become their religion?
It doesn't answer where they came from nor can it...

STUDY. Study means to discover and learn but in the end - the answers of the past will remain evasive.

Interestingly enough in Egypt, as I was watching a docu the other night on youtube, to study Exodus is NO CAN DO because then the Jews might have a claim on more land in the middle east.
So they don't allow it.

However; they decided to go much further back in time to see if they were right so tech they weren't doing 1200's BC. wink wink

Another factoid [and I love archeology]
is that water absolutely does change 'carbon' components aka dating.
Let me just insert the global flood here.
Then there's the first passage of Genesis... the earth was waste and void.

Never mind a few things -
1. The Lord had no need to separate the earth from Himself [the great Light] and He had not created the past creatures with a soul [knowledge of good vs bad] so how they lived and acted wasn't a sin.

Well, I could go on and on....

Upvote 0