Dominion Sues Fox News for $1.6 billion - Still Considering Suits against Fox personalities

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Dominion will never be awarded summary judgment. Requests dismissed today, actually. Judge to determine whether Dominion defamation case against Fox News goes to trial
What a fascinatingly counterfactual assertion.

"Whether Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric M. Davis dismisses both requests for summary judgment — one by Dominion Voting systems in its $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News and the other by Fox to throw out the suit — remains unknown after arguments went on all day Tuesday."

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,086.00
Faith
Seeker
Dominion will never be awarded summary judgment. Requests dismissed today, actually. Judge to determine whether Dominion defamation case against Fox News goes to trial

??? It is still being decided

Since the judge pushed back against both Fox and Dominion attorneys
But they still have another day and the judge still has to decide

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What a fascinatingly counterfactual assertion.

"Whether Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric M. Davis dismisses both requests for summary judgment — one by Dominion Voting systems in its $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News and the other by Fox to throw out the suit — remains unknown after arguments went on all day Tuesday."
You will note that it is updated. As of the time posted, I quoted exactly what the article stated - perhaps it was in error in the article made by someone who then corrected it, I don't know. I should have posted the entire paragraph or article itself, I see. I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

It's about the 4th time in the past couple of weeks something in an article has been changed or article entirely removed to which I had referred.

Nothing I ever state is "counter-factual" actually. I get my facts first. If I state it authoritatively, it's absolutely true. If something is changed after, well...I can't fix that.

If it's an opinion, then I make that clear.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing I ever state is "counter-factual" actually. I get my facts first. If I state it authoritatively, it's absolutely true. If something is changed after, well...I can't fix that.
I think your understanding of absolute truth is flawed...

You will note that it is updated. As of the time posted, I quoted exactly what the article stated - perhaps it was in error in the article made by someone who then corrected it, I don't know. I should have posted the entire paragraph or article itself, I see. I didn't spend a lot of time on it.
The headline you posted said, "Judge to determine ..." - that denotes a future event, not a past one.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Fox News Tries to Silence a Tucker Carlson Producer Threatening to Reveal Internal Convos​

Grossberg and Fox News are now suing each other, with the top producer alleging Fox News lawyers coached her to take the fall in the Dominion case.

Fox News drops lawsuit seeking to gag Tucker Carlson producer suing them for discrimination

One day after suing Tucker Carlson’s producer, Fox News quickly retreated on Tuesday with a brief indicating, without explanation, that the network dropped its case.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think your understanding of absolute truth is flawed...

The headline you posted said, "Judge to determine ..." - that denotes a future event, not a past one.
Headline changed. It is not the one originally posted.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Headline changed. It is not the one originally posted. I reported exactly what was initially reported. If the wording was changed after (even if due to a typo, as I said) - and they don't seem to indicate editing, as they should - after, I didn't see that until later. They should all indicate editing.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
:scratch:

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Dominion wants Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and other Fox hosts and executives to take the stand at trial (and so does Fox)

Among the network personnel that the voting technology company wants to call witnesses are Fox News chief executive Suzanne Scott; Fox News President Jay Wallace; hosts Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Maria Bartiromo, Laura Ingraham, and Bret Baier; and former executive Bill Sammon and politics editor Chris Stirewalt.

Dominion also said it wishes to call to the stand Abby Grossberg, the Fox News producer who filed lawsuits against the network last week that alleged network lawyers coerced her into providing misleading testimony.

Fox News, however, did suggest it wants to put Scott, Wallace, Hannity, Carlson, Bartiromo, and Baier on the stand as witnesses.

Both Fox News and Dominion asked Davis in court this week to declare them the outright winner without a trial.

Davis has yet to rule on the matter, but most legal experts believe the case will ultimately go to a jury trial if the two sides do not reach a settlement before mid-April when a trial is scheduled to start.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Fox News chief Suzanne Scott lashed out after correspondent fact-checked Trump’s election lies, warned it was ‘bad for business,’ new emails show

In one instance, Scott emailed Meade Cooper, executive vice president of prime time programming, and laced into correspondent Eric Shawn for fact-checking Trump.

“This has to stop now,” Scott said in a December 2, 2020, message.

“This is bad for business and there is a lack of understanding what is happening in these shows,” Scott added. “The audience is furious and we are just feeding them material. Bad for business.”

In another email written by Scott, zinging host Dana Perino for her “dismissive tone” in November 2020 after the presidential contest, the Fox News chief disclosed that the company had “lost 25k subs from FOX NATION,” its streaming service.

In earlier court filings, the data about the Fox Nation subscriptions had been redacted.

--

Other newly released emails showed network producers discussing how putting Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell on the air inflated ratings.

“Any day with Rudy and Sidney is guaranteed gold!” the Dobbs producer wrote. In another email, another Dobbs producer wrote, “to keep this alive, we really need Rudy or Sidney.”

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,086.00
Faith
Seeker
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

@MattGertz has more of the Dominion slide deck. Fave bit: Fox lawyers claim Tucker Carlson "respected" Sidney Powell, so Dominion responds with texts in which he calls her a [c-word].

And this, an internal factcheck of a Pirro monologue script finds a false claim, but it was still aired. This suggests to my [nonlegal] mind that Fox was airing claims it knew to be false and clearly defamatory.

1680204878230.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Dominion defamation case against Fox News will go to trial next month, judge rules

Both sides had asked Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis for a pretrial ruling in their favor, declaring them the winner at this stage, and averting a trial. But after thousands of pages of filings and exhibits, and a series of courtroom clashes in Wilmington, Davis decided that the case should go to trial.

The judge’s decision represents a major legal setback for Fox News and sets the stage for an agonizing weeks long trial in which some of the right-wing channel’s highest ranking executives and most prominent hosts could be called to the stand to testify about the 2020 election lies that were promoted on its air.

“The evidence developed in this civil proceeding demonstrates that is CRYSTAL clear that none of the Statements relating to Dominion about the 2020 election are true,” Davis wrote.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Dominion defamation case against Fox News will go to trial next month, judge rules

Both sides had asked Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis for a pretrial ruling in their favor, declaring them the winner at this stage, and averting a trial. But after thousands of pages of filings and exhibits, and a series of courtroom clashes in Wilmington, Davis decided that the case should go to trial.

The judge’s decision represents a major legal setback for Fox News and sets the stage for an agonizing weeks long trial in which some of the right-wing channel’s highest ranking executives and most prominent hosts could be called to the stand to testify about the 2020 election lies that were promoted on its air.

“The evidence developed in this civil proceeding demonstrates that is CRYSTAL clear that none of the Statements relating to Dominion about the 2020 election are true,” Davis wrote.
Linkie to the actual decision.

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,086.00
Faith
Seeker
Fox has conceded that there was Defamation.

So the trial will be about how much financial damage the defamation caused
I suspect the jury will not have trouble awarding Dominion some damages , Dominion had to spend extra money on security because of death threats
As for getting 1.6 billion I am not so sure , there profits did actually increase after the defamation

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Fox has conceded that there was Defamation.

So the trial will be about how much financial damage the defamation caused
I suspect the jury will not have trouble awarding Dominion some damages , Dominion had to spend extra money on security because of death threats
As for getting 1.6 billion I am not so sure , there profits did actually increase after the defamation
From my reading, the court ruled that Fox Corporation cannot be sued for defamation, though FoxNews Network can, and Dominion has won against FNN, “as a matter of law” (Dominion proved its case against FNN but not FC).

I would imagine that FC would offer Dominion a settlement at this juncture rather than this going to a jury.
I would not like to be seated on such a jury as this seems like it would be a long, difficult trial to weigh.

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟101,086.00
Faith
Seeker
From my reading, the court ruled that Fox Corporation cannot be sued for defamation, though FoxNews Network can,
I am the wrong person to talk about this , I just read the court Documents for the hilarious attempts to clearly horrible behavior.

There is a high chance I am embarrassing myself but I think there is a small probability Fox Corporation itself might have to pay for damages, the last sentence of the conclusion is

"The Court will allow this civil action to go a jury trial. The jury questions will relate to: (i) publication as to FC , (ii) actual malice as to FNN and/or FC and (iii) whether Dominion incurred any damages "
So I think there is going to be a massive jury trial,
stage (i) Discuss if people like Rupert Murdoch (FC)responsible for the crazy claims by people like Dobbs (FNN), If it is decided FC is responsible for publication it might get sued.

stage (ii) Discuss issues finer points about actual malice, actual malice does include a reckless disregard for the truth. it will probably be decided FNN is guilty of actual malice you should Not make broadcasts clearly implying it is a fact Dominion committed a massive crime by stealing the election if you really doubt that fact but maybe someone like Murdoch can escape paying damages because he did not have clear knowledge the Sydney was a total nut before she went on air.

stage (iii) discuss the amount of damages

Last edited:
Upvote 0