• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dollars For Docs

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dollars for Docs

Check out this web site and look up your own doctors or endocrinologists. Take your time and learn how to migrate the site. After you find your doctor highlight his name and you'll see how much he or she was paid by each company and how they were paid.

My primary care physician was pushing Bydureon to me and I found out why. He's being paid incentives to promote it.

My endocrinologist (whom I think I need to drop) made $453,000 from incentives paid to him in various ways. $3700 paid to him each time he did a seminar for a pharmaceutical company is one way. My primary care physician went to one of his seminars. He probably got the idea to sign-up for Bydureon incentives there. I overheard a conversation between my endocrinologist and a pharmaceutical rep as they were standing right behind me while I was scheduling an appointment. I heard the rep tell the doc that he would get 4.5% if he would start promoting a particular new medication.

My son works for a medical lab and he was recently based in a doctors' practice for awhile with reps buying the lunch for about ten people every day of the week. No telling what the doctors were also receiving in other incentives.

I was a manufacturer's rep and I know about commissions and incentives. But this is medicine and the welfare of human beings. Doctors are incentivized to push certain meds to you when another medicine may be a better choice for you. Some medical offices are making more than a million dollars to promote certain meds. It is just not right!

By the way, it appears that the makers of Invokana and Bydureon have paid out some of the largest total amounts in incentives to doctors.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If your country supports a purely capitalist based health economy, then your Dr is operating within the bounds of what your government promotes. Other country's do not permit conflicts of interest within medicine. Im just highlighting that if your from the USA then your Dr is doing nothing wrong. Its what your health care system promotes and supports and if you disagree with it then you need to change the system. But espousing Drs to be doing something almost sinister is unfair. If two medications have actions that manage your diabetes, and Medication A will enable him to make a lot of money, well so be it if that's what your health care system advocates; dont blame someone for making money when its considered both legal and ethical within your country.

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They are all in bed with each other. Besides the FDA and Monsanto the big pharma industry is hands down the most CORRUPT batch of people on the planet. When properly prescribed their product kills 100,000 people each year! Where are all the gun control fanatics on that one. Talk about a mass killing. Not to mention just about all of the mass shooters have been on their product.(FACT!) Its nothing but toxic death. I cant believe people put that garbage in their bodies. Time to wake up brothers and sisters in Christ. God has supplied a cure in his creation for EVERYTHING. Be your own healthcare system.

Upvote 0

HiltiesGwerf

To err is human, to forgive canine
Nov 20, 2009
In awe...
✟45,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it not at least a little disingenuous (if not altogether absurd) to attempt to equate conflicts of interest with capitalist based... anything?

Frankly, those countries that tout their non-capitalist based healthcare systems are just as steeped in conflicts of interest throughout their cultures as ANY country is.

Capitalism is not on trial here and is utterly irrelevant to this issue.

• Agree
Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They are all in bed with each other. Besides the FDA and Monsanto the big pharma industry is hands down the most CORRUPT batch of people on the planet. When properly prescribed their product kills 100,000 people each year! Where are all the gun control fanatics on that one. Talk about a mass killing. Not to mention just about all of the mass shooters have been on their product.(FACT!) Its nothing but toxic death. I cant believe people put that garbage in their bodies. Time to wake up brothers and sisters in Christ. God has supplied a cure in his creation for EVERYTHING. Be your own healthcare system.
Youve made some massive claims - the mass killing of 100,000 people - what are you referring to and whats your source? And your last advice - Do not tell people to avoid their Dr when they are unwell

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it not at least a little disingenuous (if not altogether absurd) to attempt to equate conflicts of interest with capitalist based... anything?

Frankly, those countries that tout their non-capitalist based healthcare systems are just as steeped in conflicts of interest throughout their cultures as ANY country is.

Capitalism is not on trial here and is utterly irrelevant to this issue.
Then you best explain why you believe the OP is correct when the free enterprise system within health is being criticised and yet your saying universal health care which guards conflicts of interest is equally to blame here - It seems a very confused statement. Perhaps you have examples of where universal health care systems that forbid conflicts of interest, are "just as steeped in conflicts of interest throughout their cultures as ANY country is." Can we have some sources or some examples?

Upvote 0

HiltiesGwerf

To err is human, to forgive canine
Nov 20, 2009
In awe...
✟45,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you best explain why you believe the OP is correct when the free enterprise system within health is being criticised and yet your saying universal health care which guards conflicts of interest is equally to blame here - It seems a very confused statement. Perhaps you have examples of where universal health care systems that forbid conflicts of interest, are "just as steeped in conflicts of interest throughout their cultures as ANY country is." Can we have some sources or some examples?
I wasn't referencing the OP - I was referencing your comments - and I was doing so generally, because your comment was utterly general itself, therefore I don't need to cite "some sources or examples."

That said, if you want to go down that path, perhaps you can cite some sources or examples that demonstrate how - according to your post - conflicts of interest in a capitalist system are both legal... and ethical?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't referencing the OP - I was referencing your comments - and I was doing so generally, because your comment was utterly general itself, therefore I don't need to cite "some sources or examples."

That said, if you want to go down that path, perhaps you can cite some sources or examples that demonstrate how - according to your post - conflicts of interest in a capitalist system are both legal... and ethical?
there is no statute in the US legislature that compels a Dr to prescribe one drug over another. Drs are compelled to practice evidence based medicine.

In many universal health care systems the code of ethics is explicit and forbids a conflict of interest for pecuniary gain. Medical Board of Australia - Good medical practice: a code of conduct for doctors in Australia

The Code of ethics within the US system is more generalised, so my point is if your Dr is acting within bounds, then its hardly his/her fault if he can do so and make money from it. But I see none the less you disagree. Thats fine. Ive made my point.

https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/default/files/media-browser/principles-of-medical-ethics.pdf

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If your country supports a purely capitalist based health economy, then your Dr is operating within the bounds of what your government promotes. Other country's do not permit conflicts of interest within medicine. Im just highlighting that if your from the USA then your Dr is doing nothing wrong. Its what your health care system promotes and supports and if you disagree with it then you need to change the system. But espousing Drs to be doing something almost sinister is unfair. If two medications have actions that manage your diabetes, and Medication A will enable him to make a lot of money, well so be it if that's what your health care system advocates; dont blame someone for making money when its considered both legal and ethical within your country.
It may be legal but it's very unethical. I'm not certain what I'm going to do with the information, but since it is public information, I'm not too concerned about personal backlash; but I am going to at least report it to the state Attorney General and I may report it to my U.S. Congressman since healthcare is something that concerns him personally.

Steering me toward Bydureon instead of another medication that is just as effective costs me $100.00 per month more in a co-pay. The advertisements on American television about problems with the drug, Ivokana, being dangerous for many users (amputations) is another drug promoted to me by the same doctor. This is another drug pushed (maybe drug pusher is an appropriate term for some doctors) to me by the same doctor. He's probably making money on this drug now.

The endocrinologist wants me to replace every drug my other doc prescribed and now that I know his game it's because he is financially aligned with other drug manufacturers.

According to this web site there are doctors who are not involved with this practice. If I see that they received a few hundred dollars or so I know that can be samples. An orthopedic surgeon might receive expensive samples of items used in surgeries and those dollars can add up quickly. So common sense must be used. But doctors who do most of their work with a pen and a prescription pad are the ones that concern me quite a lot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It may be legal but it's very unethical. I'm not certain what I'm going to do with the information, but since it is public information, I'm not too concerned about personal backlash; but I am going to at least report it to the state Attorney General and I may report it to my U.S. Congressman since healthcare is something that concerns him personally.

Steering me toward Bydureon instead of another medication that is just as effective costs me $100.00 per month more in a co-pay. The advertisements on American television about problems with the drug, Ivokana, being dangerous for many users (amputations) is another drug promoted to me by the same doctor. This is another drug pushed (maybe drug pusher is an appropriate term for some doctors) to me by the same doctor. He's probably making money on this drug now.

The endocrinologist wants me to replace every drug my other doc prescribed and now that I know his game it's because he is financially aligned with other drug manufacturers.

According to this web site there are doctors who are not involved with this practice. If I see that they received a few hundred dollars or so I know that can be samples. An orthopedic surgeon might receive expensive samples of items used in surgeries and those dollars can add up quickly. So common sense must be used. But doctors who do most of their work with a pen and a prescription pad are the ones that concern me quite a lot.
Does your endocrinologist discuss with you why he changes your medication to one thats more expensive? I'm not doubting what you say but is it possible the changes are about gaining greater stability for your condition? Thats why I asked if you have had that conversation. Its possible after a discussion you feel better about the whole thing.

That said I acknowledge why you feel its unethical practice and your thoughts on speaking with those that legislate is a good idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you make a claim then you source it. Not doing so means that in point of fact you dont have any - thats by definition makes it a rant. If you arent ranting then explain your point .... and your little flames of "naive" and "look it up" dont cut it. I might be a teen but at least I study what I know before I write it down and if someone can show me a source to show how I am wrong I happily retract my view.

So wheres this 100,000 mass killings you claim occurred at the hands of drug companies. Wheres your source. That mass murder of course would have someone landed in gaol for genocide - wheres the source for the claim you're making

"Over 100,000 people die every year from FDA-approved prescription drugs. This number isn’t from drugs that are prescribed by quacks, either. This figure sadly comes from the number of people who die every year from FDA-approved pharmaceutical drugs prescribed properly by a licensed medical professional."

FDA Approved Prescription Drugs Kill Thousands of People Annually

100,000 Americans Die Each Year from Prescription Drugs, While Pharma Companies Get Rich

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed. As a reminder, the site rules include:

• Please do not give professional legal, financial, medical, or other counseling. Do not direct, imply, or suggest that others should disregard doctors' orders regarding medical diagnosis and/or treatment.
Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.

The Statement of Purpose for this site include:

These things are considered off topic and will not be allowed in the Recovery forums
  • Promoting yourself as an expert
  • Diagnosing anyone's symptoms
  • Offering treatment of any kind to other members
  • Prescribing/promoting medications of any kind, including over the counter remedies
  • Discouraging someone from taking prescribed medications, using or seeking professional services, using hotlines or crisis lines.
  • Ethical and moral discussions. Other areas of Christian Forums deal with these topics.

Upvote 0