Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Article attached.

Yes, apparently if dogs are placed in an open field with no clear landmarks or such, they align to the magnetic field there when "marking territory". Very weird research.

The same thing has been reportedly noted in deer and some other mammals. It makes me wonder about esoteric things like Ley-lines and the ilk, if magnetic fields have more influence on animal behaviour or even human behaviour, than we think.

Attachments

• 1742-9994-10-80.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Given the number of people I encounter on a regular basis who cannot tell where the cardinal directions are, I'm not sure we humans are particularly blessed in sensing magnetic fields.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the number of people I encounter on a regular basis who cannot tell where the cardinal directions are, I'm not sure we humans are particularly blessed in sensing magnetic fields.
I think that you're right. No particular sense of smell, either.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think that you're right. No particular sense of smell, either.
Our "problem" is that we think so much that we ignore most of the information our senses are delivering.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, apparently if dogs are placed in an open field with no clear landmarks or such, they align to the magnetic field there when "marking territory". Very weird research.

Politicians do the same thing. Huh.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I guess there is more to the territorial system than a raidus. It's really a grid.

Anyone know if there are any scientifically observable "leylines" (However you define that). They don't need to be a grid, but can be a fluid map of proven geomagnetic zones of distinction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Human olfactory abilities are actually quite good in general.

Not to be sniffed at: human sense of smell rivals that of dogs, says study
Thanks, I'd forgotten that article (getting old). I guess the reason we think so little of it is that we tend to neglect it - we don't really need it to get by.

Ironically, after a severe sinus infection a year ago, I've lost about 2/3 of my sense of smell - especially the lighter 'floral' notes. For a while, everything smelt of acetone, but that's faded and now I get a constant smell of burning wood (I keep checking there isn't a fire nearby). I do get some muffled hints of the smells I used to know. It's helpful when cleaning out the cat litter tray and emptying the bins, but not so good not being able to smell & taste the richness of food & drinks, or to know when a spot of deodorant is required. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

In the OP, I don't think dogs can sense that either.
It is a sub-sense.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I'd forgotten that article (getting old). I guess the reason we think so little of it is that we tend to neglect it - we don't really need it to get by.

Ironically, after a severe sinus infection a year ago, I've lost about 2/3 of my sense of smell - especially the lighter 'floral' notes. For a while, everything smelt of acetone, but that's faded and now I get a constant smell of burning wood (I keep checking there isn't a fire nearby). I do get some muffled hints of the smells I used to know. It's helpful when cleaning out the cat litter tray and emptying the bins, but not so good not being able to smell & taste the richness of food & drinks, or to know when a spot of deodorant is required. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...

I don't you what you do. But one of my colleague smelled too much acetone in a lab and died.
Do not smell acetone.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't you what you do. But one of my colleague smelled too much acetone in a lab and died.
Do not smell acetone.
Thanks, I know about acetone - it's not that dangerous, not officially recognised as a toxic chemical; that's why it's a common industrial solvent. We actually make acetone in the liver. Your colleague would have had to be drinking the stuff to do serious damage. Inhaling it in large quantities just makes you fall asleep.

What I said was that everything smelled of acetone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I know about acetone - it's not that dangerous, not officially recognised as a toxic chemical; that's why it's a common industrial solvent. We actually make acetone in the liver. Your colleague would have had to be drinking the stuff to do serious damage. Inhaling it in large quantities just makes you fall asleep.

What I said was that everything smelled of acetone.

That means you know well how acetone smells. I used acetone for 3 years and quit.

He used acetone to wash lab ware and samples for years (for isotope work). He died of cancer at age 40+. We all know it is the acetone which killed him.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
That means you know well how acetone smells. I used acetone for 3 years and quit.
Yes, I've used acetone in lab work - and at home. Most nail varnish remover is basically acetone.

He used acetone to wash lab ware and samples for years (for isotope work). He died of cancer at age 40+. We all know it is the acetone which killed him.
You don't know that. It's not a known carcinogen, so it was probably just bad luck - lab techs get cancer just like everyone else.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've used acetone in lab work - and at home. Most nail varnish remover is basically acetone.

You don't know that. It's not a known carcinogen, so it was probably just bad luck - lab techs get cancer just like everyone else.

OK. But I believe that.
You don't know that either.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
OK. But I believe that.
You don't know that either.
True, I don't know it; but follow the data: given that many people have been occupationally exposed to it for many years, and the testing that's been done explicitly looking for carcinogenic effects without any significant findings, the evidence is strongly in favour of acetone not being the culprit.

That you choose to believe that it is despite the evidence, doesn't surprise me and suggests you don't think like a scientist.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Article attached.

The same thing has been reportedly noted in deer and some other mammals. It makes me wonder about esoteric things like Ley-lines and the ilk, if magnetic fields have more influence on animal behaviour or even human behaviour, than we think.

I've got two and I'll start taking notes and create some poop-graphs for everyone.

Upvote 0