• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

dogs are always dogs, and cats are always cats?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by matthewgar, Nov 3, 2010.

1. matthewgar

matthewgar Newbie

+21
    Private
    CA-Others
    Two interesting videos, looking at the evolution of cat and dog evolution from the last common ancestor of both.

YouTube - Caniform Carnivore Cladogram Construction

YouTube - Foundations of Feliforme Families

we hear the argument all the time dogs are always just dogs, and cats are always just cats, but these videos do bring up questions. Plus I be curious about not just lions, panthers and such but how many species of cats can be shown to exist right before and after the supposed global flood and see what doesn't add up.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tanzanos

tanzanos Guest

+0
    Blind dog:doh: LOL^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

3. matthewgar

matthewgar Newbie

+21
    Private
    CA-Others

heh always get a hoot out of that clip, but you know we found the crocoduck, you should put it as your picture now :> Heh

4. tanzanos

tanzanos Guest

+0
    If you think Crocoduck is strange then you better look at this Bat eared shenzi dog from Tanzania^_^^_^^_^

Attached Files:

5. Mike Elphick

Mike Elphick Not so new...

+36
    Agnostic
    Married
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Is it just me, or do others find these videos contain vastly too much information to digest? This is not a complaint, as one can certainly get the gist of what's being discussed, but I'd much rather study this by reading and studying written text.

This is a very interesting subject, so here is the source material used for the two videos:-

YouTube - Caniform Carnivore Cladogram Construction

Part III of the 'Falsifying Phylogeny' series; This one explains how one must first address the indications of evolutionary phylogeny rather than ignoring all aspects of common ancestry altogether, (as Ray Comfort did) and instead proposing some weird straw-man parody of evolution in which no ancestry of any kind is even involved. Source studies:-

Multiple and Ancient Origins of the Domestic Dog (free registration required)

The source of the Canine cladogram

Mitogenomic analyses of caniform relationships (abstract only)

Molecular Phylogeny of the Carnivora (Mammalia): Assessing the Impact of Increased Sampling on Resolving Enigmatic Relationships

Links taken from here.

YouTube - Foundations of Feliforme Families

Part IV of the 'Falsifying Phylogeny' series shows how the basal progenitors of now dramatically different "kinds" are still apparently inseparable from sister species and parent clades.

Felid cladogram from Scientific American (abstract only)

Cladogram

Massive collaborative analysis of the Molecular Phylogeny of Carnivora

An explanation of transitional forms and taxonomic trends

Links taken from here.

If there's anyone who has access to the full versions of the papers marked "abstract only", I would greatly appreciate receiving them via PM. Thanks.

6. matthewgar

matthewgar Newbie

+21
    Private
    CA-Others
    heh so no comments from the creationist crowd? Funny how when I bring good evidence they pretend like I'm not here heh.

7. Shemjaza

Shemjaza Regular Member Supporter

+1,751
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    AU-Greens
    It's a pity AronRa doesn't post here anymore. I used to enjoy his input.

8. matthewgar

matthewgar Newbie

+21
    Private
    CA-Others
    So all you creationists are willing to sit there and whine about evolution's false, you don't see dogs becoming cats, or vise versa. But when someone posts evidence showing how cats and dogs evolved from a common ancestory plus showing why alot of the parts of the bible couldn't be true you ignore it?

On a side note, anyone else find it cool that cheetahs came from north america? :> Would explain the bottleneck at some point they had.

9. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,617
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    But they do still visit the site.
    Aron-Ra Last Activity: 4th November 2010 05:25 PM

10. matthewgar

matthewgar Newbie

+21
    Private
    CA-Others
    heh maybe they are hoping the site has improved...considering the selective noticing of stuff that the creationists here do I doubt it..

11. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    I'm European :p I'm also pretty sure the genetic bottleneck that affects extant cheetahs is far more recent than that.

Re: the videos, I'm a bit disappointed that AronRa keeps messing up his terminology. He consistently calls subfamilies genera (big clue: anything ending in -inae must be a subfamily as per the ICZN 29.2), nimravids nimvarids, and I have absolutely no idea what he means by what sounds like "chemical fertility" (did he really say that??).

Oh yes, and karyotype =/= prototype, archetype or whatever he really means by it. A karyotype is the number and type of chromosomes in a cell, and I'm not aware of any other meaning that even remotely fits his usage.

A pity, because I quite like his videos otherwise.