Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,774,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I trained my dog in classes when I was a teenager. It was very simple training. We didn't do anything fancy. We all had training (choke) collars and 6 foot leather leashes. We did not use food or treats as rewards. Verbal praise was strongly encouraged. The most important training tool we used was the "pop" It's simply a swift, sharp pull (pop) on the leash to get the dog's attention, followed by much attention and praise for the dog obeying. The classes were 10 weeks long and we paid $30 for the whole thing (pretty good, huh?)

This all happened in the beginners class. Those who wanted to go farther continued with training for other things like showing and obedience matches. But most dogs were ready for obedience matches at the end of the beginners course.

Upvote 0

Dalexsi

Pug Queen
Apr 2, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟7,791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
lucypevensie said:
I trained my dog in classes when I was a teenager. It was very simple training. We didn't do anything fancy. We all had training (choke) collars and 6 foot leather leashes. We did not use food or treats as rewards. Verbal praise was strongly encouraged. The most important training tool we used was the "pop" It's simply a swift, sharp pull (pop) on the leash to get the dog's attention, followed by much attention and praise for the dog obeying. The classes were 10 weeks long and we paid $30 for the whole thing (pretty good, huh?)

This all happened in the beginners class. Those who wanted to go farther continued with training for other things like showing and obedience matches. But most dogs were ready for obedience matches at the end of the beginners course.

I'm actually using a book called the Dog Whisperer (yeah, corny name I know) and the techniques are working really well for me and my guys. The author promotes non-violent training (in other words no jerking on the leash, etc.) using meditation (for the human not the dog
:) praise and reward.
I've tried and tried to teach my dogs the "down" command with no sucess but the book suggests breaking up the task into smaller parts; and now after a couple of sessions, voila....success!

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dalexsi said:
I'm actually using a book called the Dog Whisperer (yeah, corny name I know) and the techniques are working really well for me and my guys. The author promotes non-violent training (in other words no jerking on the leash, etc.) using meditation (for the human not the dog
:) praise and reward.
I've tried and tried to teach my dogs the "down" command with no sucess but the book suggests breaking up the task into smaller parts; and now after a couple of sessions, voila....success!

How do you handle behavior? I'm all for the positive reinforcement but what do you do when the dog misbehaves?

Upvote 0

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
Knight said:
How do you handle behavior? I'm all for the positive reinforcement but what do you do when the dog misbehaves?

One of the first steps is to show the dog you have authority, and to do this you need a deep and loud voice. Often trainers call out "BAH" just to get the dog's attention. For some dog, like mine, "Bah" dosen't work, but he is sound sensitive, so clapping scares my dog, and hence gets his attention.

The main reason for authority, is because Dogs use to be wolves. Wolves were the first domesticated animals that humans used, since they were good team players and hunters. Eventually they withered down to so many breeds of dogs. But just like our predecessors, we need to have authority, else the dog will take the job.

I personally dislike hitting a dog, it's ineffective no matter how many times I've told people and yet they still hit. Hitting is a way of training your dogs to become aggressive. My dog bites mainly because my dad kept hitting him when he was young.

It's better to punish a dog, by ignoring him constantly and giving the authority voice, like "Naughty!"...eventually the dog will come and ask for forgiveness. When the dog does that, don't forgive then get angry for the same crime he did, else that would confuse the heck out of him/her. Rather keep the dog in emotional agony for some time, like 5minutes, then forgive him and play with him.

But when the dog gets older, extend the time from 5mins to 15mins - 6hours.

For big dogs obedience is important, so it's better to have a professional train it.

For small dogs, professional training is good, but the dogs are going to be BORING!
My mum use to breed maltese terriers, I remember the puppies being trained by professionals....after that they were brain dead. The mother and the father had distinct characteristics and were so cool, but their children that were trained....they were all the same.

Which is why, when I got my Pomeranian Var semi-Alba, I trained it myself, the basic commands. And from there I've given him heaps of puzzles like puting tasty beef jerky in a jar. He knows how to crack open it, it use to take him several hours now it take around 3minutes.

Thats the joy of small dogs, not being trained. There are puzzles, like jumping from the table, onto the bed, then we make a narrow path to the closet which leads to the beef...and it's so fun to watch.
He's such an intelligent and cute dog...lol!!!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.