Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,135.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone else noticed that there has been a marked increase in people being attacked by either their own family dog or someone else's?
We've just had two attacks in the last few days, one where a woman was pushing her 12 month old daughter in a pram past another house when the dog in the yard jumped the fence into the pram and mauled the baby who unfortunately died from the attack. Just now we've heard of two girls, 7 and 10, left at home while their parents went to gym, where the 10 year old was attacked by their family dog. She was only saved by neighbors who heard the younger daughter's screams and managed to get in the house, but not before suffering terrible injuries. Another not long ago when a woman was killed by her dog after she tried to intervene due to it having attacked her visitor.
I'm sure you all remember hearing about the woman in the US who was killed by her own dogs while taking them for a walk. The sheriff had to release unpleasant details about the circumstances because people simply refused to believe the dogs were responsible.

Do you think this is happening as a result of the world sinking further into sin, causing the rest of creation to suffer as a result? We know that the opposite occurs with the saints, where wild animals become completely tame around them. So as our world continues to spiral into debauchery, are we going to hear of more and more attacks like the above?

Has anyone heard of other animals attacking their owners, or is it just dogs?

• Prayers
Reactions: mukk_in

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you think this is happening as a result of the world sinking further into sin
After the flood God allows man to eat animals because they become kind no more and kill each other, animals kill for food including human, thats just the way they are since mankind fall to sin. We fell into sin and loose our control over nature and animals and must bear it till the end of time where Jesus returns to restore orders.

Thats why God give them to us as food.
Gen 9:3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone else noticed that there has been a marked increase in people being attacked by either their own family dog or someone else's?
We've just had two attacks in the last few days, one where a woman was pushing her 12 month old daughter in a pram past another house when the dog in the yard jumped the fence into the pram and mauled the baby who unfortunately died from the attack. Just now we've heard of two girls, 7 and 10, left at home while their parents went to gym, where the 10 year old was attacked by their family dog. She was only saved by neighbors who heard the younger daughter's screams and managed to get in the house, but not before suffering terrible injuries. Another not long ago when a woman was killed by her dog after she tried to intervene due to it having attacked her visitor.
I'm sure you all remember hearing about the woman in the US who was killed by her own dogs while taking them for a walk. The sheriff had to release unpleasant details about the circumstances because people simply refused to believe the dogs were responsible.

Do you think this is happening as a result of the world sinking further into sin, causing the rest of creation to suffer as a result? We know that the opposite occurs with the saints, where wild animals become completely tame around them. So as our world continues to spiral into debauchery, are we going to hear of more and more attacks like the above?

Has anyone heard of other animals attacking their owners, or is it just dogs?
That's an interesting thought - one that hadn't occurred to me.

There have been a number of attacks in the US over the past few decades. I'm not sure how the figures really compare to what happened before. My knowledge of farm life is that it's a simple truth that certain animals (especially unaltered males, and some species like pigs) are especially prone to attack people. So historically people have been injured or killed by farm animals. I had a buck goat who decided he wanted to try to kill me at one time.

As for pet dogs, that seems bizarre to me, unless I consider hunting dogs kept chained and not as pets. (Or fighting dogs perhaps, which I have no personal involvement with.) But we have heard of it many times in the US. But I don't know if it's really becoming more frequent or if it's just a matter of news being spread more widely and easily. I rather suspect it really IS happening more frequently.

I once read through the reports of many decades of dog attacks where humans were seriously injured or killed. It took me hours, and the listed incidents increased especially more recently, so I finally couldn't take any more and did not reach the present time. From what I read, most of the incidents involved human carelessness (often leaving children alone with dogs not well known to the person, for example), or mismanagement of the dogs (poorly socialized). But I was LOOKING for reasons and I'm sure the reports were trying to provide them in some cases, so that could be bias.

Genetic issues can play a role. My last German Shepherd was a tragic example. Lovely puppy, beautiful manners, intelligent. His training was going splendidly. (It's a hobby of mine.) Grew into a gorgeous dog. Suddenly he became ill, and started losing weight and acting strange (eating strange non-food items). Finally diagnosed with a once-rare but becoming common metabolic issue. It affected vitamin absorption also, causing brain effects. He became fearful, and seemed unable to immediately recognize people other than me. He was becoming dangerous. :( It was heartbreaking to me. Ultimately, he suffered an injury apparently trying to escape a kennel and had to be put to sleep.

Wow I've written a book. I'm sorry. But this is something I've thought a lot about but not from that perspective. Quite interesting. FWIW, Revelation did mention something about killings by "the beasts of the field" or some such, didn't it? I shouldn't even mention that. Someone will run with it into wild speculation.

But it's quite interesting, when considering the effects on animals of the image of Christ within persons, and then considering the opposite. I don't know if that's any part of the answer - or essentially all of it - or not.

Statistically I think it is becoming more common, according to the best info I've been able to find - particularly increasing over the past few decades.

• Agree
Reactions: tapi
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a pit bull come at me the other day while riding my bicycle. I screamed to the owner to get his dog -- a lame homeless man who appeared to be high on something.

I have been bitten all my life starting when I was a paperboy back in fifth grade. Maybe I send out some kind of fear vibe?

A young beauty queen years back here had her nose bit off when she entered a party that she had been invited to.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
IllinformedVagueBorzoi-size_restricted.gif

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟216,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know of many dog attacks around here, though my friends dog was killed by a car the other day. Entirely the dogs fault. He was a very friendly, and happy, and not at all intelligent dog. I think that a lot of the selective breeding that happens with dogs is not good for them. It seems to bring out rare and unintended qualities more often.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm a dog owner and I can tell you that in general, dogs don't just attack people out of nowhere. They are not insensible, there is a reason for the attack. Usually it's on the part of the owners, be it due to negligence, poor raising of the dog, violence, or some other reason.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For pits it's not even the frequency of the attacks it's the severity. They are just so strong.

We could compare this to attacks by bodybuilders or people with martial arts training as humans, the brain wiring in general should not be any different but the power is on another level.

Reactions: SaNcTaMaRiA
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,135.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a dog owner and I can tell you that in general, dogs don't just attack people out of nowhere. They are not insensible, there is a reason for the attack. Usually it's on the part of the owners, be it due to negligence, poor raising of the dog, violence, or some other reason.
The attacks I referenced were
all well trained household pets. The woman in the States had raised her dogs from pups and all who knew her stated that she treated the dogs well, which was why no one would accept that they had killed her. The first story I referenced was an unprovoked attack. The dog jumped the fence into the pram and attacked a 12 month old baby. The second, the parents obviously considered it safe to leave their young daughters alone with their pet dog. The attacks do not conform to conventional wisdom which is why I wonder if it is the result of our present extreme fallenness. Honestly, we are making Sodom and Gomorrah look positively tame these days. We are experiencing extremes of weather, increased seismic and volcanic activity. I suspect it is all connected.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The attacks I referenced were
all well trained household pets. The woman in the States had raised her dogs from pups and all who knew her stated that she treated the dogs well, which was why no one would accept that they had killed her. The first story I referenced was an unprovoked attack. The dog jumped the fence into the pram and attacked a 12 month old baby. The second, the parents obviously considered it safe to leave their young daughters alone with their pet dog. The attacks do not conform to conventional wisdom which is why I wonder if it is the result of our present extreme fallenness. Honestly, we are making Sodom and Gomorrah look positively tame these days. We are experiencing extremes of weather, increased seismic and volcanic activity. I suspect it is all connected.

I suspect you are in the wrong here and that there are conditions behind these attacks that were not disclosed by the owners. Where I live we have not had any sort of increased activity of attacks by domestic animals so I do not see any reason to believe your suspicions about any kind of "demonic" activity behind these issues in the States.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect you are in the wrong here and that there are conditions behind these attacks that were not disclosed by the owners. Where I live we have not had any sort of increased activity of attacks by domestic animals so I do not see any reason to believe your suspicions about any kind of "demonic" activity behind these issues in the States.
Sometimes animals attack for no reason. They're animals. It happens. Not sure why this is unacceptable for you.

Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes animals attack for no reason. They're animals. It happens. Not sure why this is unacceptable for you.

I've been around hundreds of dogs and have not seen a single attack out of nowhere. Sure, there are "psychopaths" in the dog population, same as in humans, but the most common issue behind instability in dogs is that the humans that own them do not understand dog psychology but rather treat them as humans. The fact that dogs are animals does not make them more unpredictable in general as long as the owners know how to deal with them.

Upvote 0