Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some variety of SPORT MIX has a deadly mold/contamination? in their dog and cat food. The news said it had killed and to throw it out but Chewy calls it a recall. I did call them because I buy their Gourmet Sport mix. They said that that flavor is okay, it is the other flavor of sport mix cat food that is bad. It had a name like 'regular' or basic, I forget what it was.
I did not check on which dog food is bad so if you feed that to your dog please call them to be sure yours is not contaminated. 18006184399 is the chewy number. I don't know if there are other distributors.

Last edited:

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hope your post will help someone, I feed my raw meat. With an occasional sprinkle of castor and pollux dry food.
Wow, that is great that you can afford to feed them raw meat. That's their life in their natural habitat. I hope you only have one to feed that way, that could be very expensive even for one.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure whether D. Taylor was referring to a dog or to a cat, but I feed the cat I take care of (technically he's not mine) with a raw meat-based diet. Even the cheapest canned cat food, Frisky's, runs about $1.75 a pound. And its ingredients are very concerning, considering what a cat's natural diet consists of. A friend recommended Wellness brand, but I didn't find the ingredients that much better, and the cost was three times as much.

I can get chicken thighs for $1.25 a lb or less. Then some organ meats. I then add supplements and eggs. I add in some fish oil and his coat is like silk. The price is no more than what Frisky's costs

Of course there's the cost of a grinder that can handle chicken bones (for calcium and other minerals - the meat alone is not enough), about $160, and the time spent at it (about 1.5 hrs for a one month batch). I still mix my food with 1/3 Frisky's, to give him some variety and to cover any mistakes I might have in my formula. He loves the food, and he's getting the best.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that is great that you can afford to feed them raw meat. That's their life in their natural habitat. I hope you only have one to feed that way, that could be very expensive even for one.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have two but it is not two bad, save on vet bills the 10 years (rescue dogs) i have had them they have been to the vet about 3 maybe 4 times.

One chicken foot each, half of a chicken wing (the other dog gets the other half), a little ground beef and a banana, and a little organic canned pumpkin or canned sweet potato and a little organic apple cider vinegar.

325702_9a382ea2acc82262acd5a589be5db035.JPG

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have two but it is not two bad, save on vet bills the 10 years (rescue dogs) i have had them they have been to the vet about 3 maybe 4 times.

One chicken foot each, half of a chicken wing (the other dog gets the other half), a little ground beef and a banana, and a little organic canned pumpkin or canned sweet potato and a little organic apple cider vinegar.

325702_9a382ea2acc82262acd5a589be5db035.JPG
Mine gets chicken once a week but it is cooked. I don't trust much that is raw that can be contaminated. I fed raw egg to one of the strays and he got salmanela sp.
Chicken is so dangerous for bacteria.
Where do you get the chicken foot?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure whether D. Taylor was referring to a dog or to a cat, but I feed the cat I take care of (technically he's not mine) with a raw meat-based diet. Even the cheapest canned cat food, Frisky's, runs about $1.75 a pound. And its ingredients are very concerning, considering what a cat's natural diet consists of. A friend recommended Wellness brand, but I didn't find the ingredients that much better, and the cost was three times as much.

I can get chicken thighs for $1.25 a lb or less. Then some organ meats. I then add supplements and eggs. I add in some fish oil and his coat is like silk. The price is no more than what Frisky's costs

Of course there's the cost of a grinder that can handle chicken bones (for calcium and other minerals - the meat alone is not enough), about $160, and the time spent at it (about 1.5 hrs for a one month batch). I still mix my food with 1/3 Frisky's, to give him some variety and to cover any mistakes I might have in my formula. He loves the food, and he's getting the best.
Do you have a frys/fred myers or a food city? where you are at. They have chicken in ten pound bags for 79 a pound or less at food city. It is legs and thighs.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, taurine is a necessity for cats; not sure about dogs, but I take it myself in small amounts, it's good for the nerves.

I buy the chicken at the supermarket. Half the skin I throw away, and that reduces the chance of infection. Beyond that I don't worry about it, though I could parboil the chicken before grinding it.

- No, I don't have those outlets. I buy the thighs/legs in about 5# packages. I try to get them on sale at $.79 or $.99.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some variety of SPORT MIX has a deadly mold/contamination? in their dog and cat food. The news said it had killed and to throw it out but Chewy calls it a recall. I did call them because I buy their Gourmet Sport mix. They said that that flavor is okay, it is the other flavor of sport mix cat food that is bad. It had a name like 'regular' or basic, I forget what it was.
I did not check on which dog food is bad so if you feed that to your dog please call them to be sure yours is not contaminated. 18006184399 is the chewy number. I don't know if there are other distributors.

Thank you for your warning and I hope it helps others.
I too feed my two dogs and cat a raw food diet and have done with my previous pets too as I simply don't trust manufactured pet food.
Even the very expensive brands are no indication of safety as there have been problems and recalls from them as well.

I find it very affordable and also have the peace of mind that I know exactly what they get and can make any adjustments if needed

Pet foods also have a lot of useless fillers of dubious origin to bulk them out .

Just a aside to all this:
I know most vets will recommend different pet foods but it is also noteworthy that the companies very often give financial support to vet schools.
Anyone who is interested in further exploring raw feeding there is lots of information available including the books The complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliet de Bairaclai Levy (this is one of the first originally published in 1955 and still being printed).
Two others are "Give your dog a bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst BVSc
and "Raw meaty bones" by Tom Lonsdale BVSc.
These are both vets who through their vet practices noticed so many health issues going back to diet and their related health issues.
It applies equally with cats.
I found these books very interesting as they set out information and facts and then you are free to make your own decisions.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Mine gets chicken once a week but it is cooked. I don't trust much that is raw that can be contaminated. I fed raw egg to one of the strays and he got salmanela sp.
Chicken is so dangerous for bacteria.
Where do you get the chicken foot?

At the local grocery and walmart, chicken paws are high in glucosamine

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At the local grocery and walmart, chicken paws are high in glucosamine
You give them raw also? Now that you mention it I think I have seen them at food city.
thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you both feed them taurine? Cats are supposed to have it but it is questionable for dogs. It is in dry and can food for cats.

I do not do any supplements except the apple cider. But my little beagle basset hound mix one morning i notice he was keeping his tail tucked between his legs. So after going through what may be wrong, i came to the conclusion he had some how that night hurt his back or back end. So i started him on a supplement called Vetri Science VETRI DISC and after a few days he was doing better and after about a week and half he was really improved and now moving like he was before his injury.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You give them raw also? Now that you mention it I think I have seen them at food city.
thanks

yes i do not cook anything all raw.

occasionally i do cook eggs but most of the time at night i give them an organic egg raw.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you know people that have dogs or cats please warn them about this food. There are at least 150 dogs dead from it now. This message is not getting out to pet lovers it seems.
Please pass it on.
Thank you.
Cats are also involved but they have not mentioned any deaths of cats. It is one of their products only that is affected out of two dry offered. Gourmet is not affected so they say but I have stopped buying it. My cats do love it and they have eaten at least a bag with what seems no ill effects.
They have said corn produced at a certain farm is the culprit with a deadly mold.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, taurine is a necessity for cats; not sure about dogs, but I take it myself in small amounts, it's good for the nerves.

I buy the chicken at the supermarket. Half the skin I throw away, and that reduces the chance of infection. Beyond that I don't worry about it, though I could parboil the chicken before grinding it.

- No, I don't have those outlets. I buy the thighs/legs in about 5# packages. I try to get them on sale at $.79 or $.99.
What is in taurine that the cats need it and you take it?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
THIS IS THE EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM CHEWY TODAY:

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. Issues a Voluntary Recall for Select Lots of SPORTMiX Food, Due to a Potential Aflatoxin Health Risk

Dear Customer,

We are contacting you because you have purchased one or more of the below listed dog and cat food SPORTMiX products.
Item UPC Chewy SKU #

SPORTMiX Premium High Energy 26/18 Adult Dry Dog Food, 50-lb bag 34846700435 90715
Lot: Any lot with a "05" after date code and Expiration Date on or before 07/09/22

SPORTMiX Premium Energy Plus Adult Dry Dog Food, 50-lb bag 34846700916 90717
Lot: Any lot with a "05" after date code and Expiration Date on or before 07/09/22

SPORTMiX Original Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 15-lb bag 34846600803 91161

SPORTMiX Original Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food, 31-lb bag 34846600834 90725

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. has issued a voluntary recall of select dog and cat food products to include all dog and cat pet food products made with corn products with expiration dates on or prior to July 9, 2022, because those products may contain aflatoxin levels which exceed acceptable limits. Products were distributed nationally to online distributors and retail stores. Midwestern Pet Foods is expanding its voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution to help protect the health and safety of pets.

The products recalled cover all that expire on or before July 9, 2022, depicted as "07/09/22" in the date code on the product. Products with expiration dates after July 9, 2022 are not included in the recall. Lot code information may be found on the back of bag and will appear in a three‐line code, with the top line in format "EXP 03/03/22/05/L#/B###/HH:MM"”, as shown below. This recall covers ONLY product manufactured at Midwestern Pet Food's Chickasha, Oklahoma facility identified as an "05" and "REG. OK‐PFO‐0005" at the end of the date code.

SPORTMIX.png

Aflatoxin is a toxin produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, which can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food. At high levels, aflatoxin can cause illness and death in pets.

There have been reports of illnesses and deaths in dogs associated with certain lots of products. No human illnesses have been reported.

If your pet shows signs of aflatoxin poisoning including sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting jaundice (yellowish tint to the eyes, gums, or skin due to liver damage), and/or diarrhea, contact a veterinarian immediately. Provide a full diet history to your veterinarian. It may be helpful to take a picture of the pet food label, including the lot number and best buy date.

Consumers who have SPORTMiX food products from the lots above should stop feeding the product to your dogs and cats, destroy the product in a way that children, pets and wildlife cannot access them, do not donate the product, wash and sanitize pet food bowls, cups, and storage containers, always ensure you wash and sanitize your hands after handling the product or any utensils which have contacted the product, and call Chewy Customer Service 24/7 at 1-800-672-4399 for more information.

This is a voluntary recall conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

More Information and FAQs:

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased are covered by this notice or would like a replacement product please contact Chewy at any time 24/7 at 1-800-672-4399.

1. If I have any of the recalled product, do I have to return unused product back to Chewy?
No, please do not return this product to us if you are impacted by the recall. Please dispose of the product and do not donate. Please contact Chewy at 1-800-672-4399 or reply to this email and we will process a refund or replacement, if available.

2. Will I receive a refund or a replacement if I am impacted?
Yes, a refund or replacement, if available, will be provided if you are impacted by the recall. Please contact Chewy at 1-800-672-4399 or reply to this email and we will assist you.

3. Do I get refunded if I ordered impacted lots and have used all or some of the product?
Yes, a refund or replacement, if available, will be provided if you are impacted by the recall. Please contact Chewy at 1-800-672-4399 or reply to this email and we will assist you.

4. I just ordered the recalled product and it is on its way, what should I do?
If your order is in transit and you are impacted by the recall, once you receive your order, please contact Chewy at 1-800-672-4399 or reply to this email and we will process a refund or replacement, if available.

5. I used some of the affected product and my pet has been showing signs of sickness, what should I do?
Please contact your veterinarian.

Here at Chewy we value the trust that customers place in us and are committed to your pet's safety. When we are made aware of a product issue like this, we notify customers who purchased the product from our site through the email address provided.

If you have questions or concerns, our customer service team is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-672-4399 or via email at service@chewy.com.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for posting this to warn others.

That is yet another reason I don't feed any commercial dog or cat food.

But you feed strays that would otherwise go hungry and I am certainly not berating you for that.
Rather I think that is wonderful and may God bless you for your kind heart and generosity to His precious creatures who through no fault of their own are in that situation.

I do give my cat some cat milk but he would have about 1/4 cup if that, it has taurine in it. He mostly likes water.
This isn't the first time that pet foods have caused deaths, we had some in Australia about a year or so ago.

And I'll never forget what had been found in a prestige brand in 2005 that had been found with traces from flea collars (I'll leave it up to you to guess what else)

When I think of dogs and cats in the past before commercial foods were available, I think they had healthier, longer lives and certainly not the cancers that are so prevalent now.
Granted food was better then, including milk that didn't have all the processing and preservatives in them not to mention dyes.

Thank you once again for sounding the warning, I hope and pray it goes out far and wide.:heart:

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for posting this to warn others.

That is yet another reason I don't feed any commercial dog or cat food.

But you feed strays that would otherwise go hungry and I am certainly not berating you for that.
Rather I think that is wonderful and may God bless you for your kind heart and generosity to His precious creatures who through no fault of their own are in that situation.

I do give my cat some cat milk but he would have about 1/4 cup if that, it has taurine in it. He mostly likes water.
This isn't the first time that pet foods have caused deaths, we had some in Australia about a year or so ago.

And I'll never forget what had been found in a prestige brand in 2005 that had been found with traces from flea collars (I'll leave it up to you to guess what else)

When I think of dogs and cats in the past before commercial foods were available, I think they had healthier, longer lives and certainly not the cancers that are so prevalent now.
Granted food was better then, including milk that didn't have all the processing and preservatives in them not to mention dyes.

Thank you once again for sounding the warning, I hope and pray it goes out far and wide.:heart:
That's sweet of you to say. I wouldn't have been able to feed all of them if it wasn't for Gods provisions.
I think there are many that try to do there part including you and many that don't I wish there were more people that love animals and there wouldn't be so many to abuse and abandon. It is so sad, their lives trying to live in an unloving world.
I am concerned for birds which were my first love as most of their commercial food has corn in it. I do hope it doesn't touch them.
God Bless you for your support, I appreciate it. I was surprised to find out that there are a lot of us that buy through Chewy supplies in bulk for their strays. I was talking to a Chewy employee and something we were talking about prompted her to say there were very many supporters of the strays. I think I was talking about my being one of the few and she corrected me. It was really good to know there were so many.
God bless you in your efforts also!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do not do any supplements except the apple cider. But my little beagle basset hound mix one morning i notice he was keeping his tail tucked between his legs. So after going through what may be wrong, i came to the conclusion he had some how that night hurt his back or back end. So i started him on a supplement called Vetri Science VETRI DISC and after a few days he was doing better and after about a week and half he was really improved and now moving like he was before his injury.
That's a wonderful tip and I am glad you figured it out and saved your dog from harm. I think dachshunds sp? have the same problem with their backs.
I am glad you are another that takes such good care of their animal/s.
God bless the animal lovers:)

Upvote 0