Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said He will say to many, "I never knew you. Go away from me, you workers of iniquity." I mentioned this in a post one time. I said, it looks like you could spend your whole life totally dedicated to God and end up in hell. A guy responded, 'that's only if you try to serve God on your own terms, like Cain.' Another friend of mine has told me that I have to get saved on GOD'S terms, not mine. My terms vs. God's terms. So...what are God's terms? Well, I understand one of them to be "total surrender." But I look at "total surrender" negatively. Doesn't "total surrender" to God mean "being unbearably squashed" by God?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus said He will say to many, "I never knew you. Go away from me, you workers of iniquity." I mentioned this in a post one time. I said, it looks like you could spend your whole life totally dedicated to God and end up in hell. A guy responded, 'that's only if you try to serve God on your own terms, like Cain.' Another friend of mine has told me that I have to get saved on GOD'S terms, not mine. My terms vs. God's terms. So...what are God's terms? Well, I understand one of them to be "total surrender." But I look at "total surrender" negatively. Doesn't "total surrender" to God mean "being unbearably squashed" by God?
Absolutely not. We were created by God, for God, so that we could be family. God is not like human parents. He never makes mistakes. He knows exactly what is best for us. "Total surrender" = total freedom to be the person that you really want to be deep down. People "totally surrender" in all kinds of situations. Would you set about telling a surgeon how to operate on you? How about taking the controls of an A 380 as it was about to land?

Surrender is an attitude of heart. God leads us in our inner man, the spirit. God asks us to go by the inner witness, not just reason or logic. Sometimes God's will clashes with what we want. When we choose to go God's way, we will find out that God's ways are infinitely better. When we go our own way, we will find out why we should have chosen God's way! Most Christians learn by experience, often in mundane things. I bought a car years ago. It seemed perfect. It turned out to be an expensive lemon. The next time I had to buy a car, I prayed first. It was the same model as the lemon but it never let me down in the 5 years I owned it.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I look at "total surrender" negatively. Doesn't "total surrender" to God mean "being unbearably squashed" by God?

So just what are you putting your trust/faith in?

Are you trusting in your ability to impress God with your holiness, goodworks, religous livestyle or are you humble enough to say, I am sorry God, please forgive me and help me to serve/follow you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So...what are God's terms? Well, I understand one of them to be "total surrender." But I look at "total surrender" negatively. Doesn't "total surrender" to God mean "being unbearably squashed" by God?
I don't know why you'd think that. To me, it sounds more like "Get with the program." I don't see anything unreasonable or oppressive about that.

Upvote 0

Bob8102

Nov 9, 2019
Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your responses. After I posted the above, I concentrated for a few hours on asking Jesus to help me surrender totally to him, now knowing that total surrender is NOT being unbearably squashed. After a few hours of trying my hardest to surrender to Him, I finally got the impression I had succeeded. I wrapped up those hours of struggle (during which I continually felt on the VERGE of truly surrendering/giving Him my life) with a simple statement quoted from a Bible tract: "Thank You for coming in to my life by faith." Then, I could continue with my day.

Because I have OCD, I know doubts will be relentless, as they have been for years of trying to give my life to Him. It's not just that OCD generates doubt/anxiety out of thin air. The OCDoubt typically coincides with me having the impression that I am not surrendered at a particular moment. That turns the "false" alarm into a REAL alarm. My faith waivers. I am trying to realize that though that is so, HE does not waiver; His hold on us does not loosen.

Upvote 0