West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's occurred to me for a while now that Catholics are widely known for their use of incense, in fact it's been used by many as a reason why they don't like Catholic services, however, whenever I have been to mass, incense is never used. The only time i've noticed it is used is during Holy Week.

Does your church always use incense?

Why do many churches not use incense regularly?

Thanks! :)

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does your church always use incense?
Not as often as I'd like. Invariably there will be some hypochondriac who "suffers an attack" at the mere sight of the stuff so I understand why it gets used relatively infrequently.

That said, the FSSP parish I used to attend uses it every Sunday for their High Mass and that was pretty good.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I love the use of incense. Our parish priest for five year used it only on very rare occasions such as easter night and christmas vigil. Now however our new priest use it every sunday and feastday. Dont get me wrong I absolutely love it, but even for me its on the boarder of being to much.

Sometimes it just makes your eyes hurt...

Upvote 0

JoyToTheWhirled

Going where I'm led
Jul 18, 2007
✟30,337.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My church uses it for the main Sunday Mass and holy days. I love the smell and the symbolism. Unfortunately, I always get a thumping headache whenever it's been used, which is very disappointing, as if it were down to preference, I would love it all the time.
As it is I attend Mass on a Saturday evening, for a number of reasons, one being that there is no incense. Unless it's the Easter Vigil, but, you know, needs must.

Upvote 0