a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll come back when you people are listening to others and can discuss this calmly. ...Or maybe not. I do have better things to do, then watch people argue for the sake of arguing.

Have a good one! ...Don't kill each other. :wave:
*puts his knives away.*

Killjoy. :|

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by RendaLane
I'll come back when you people are listening to others and can discuss this calmly. ...Or maybe not. I do have better things to do, then watch people argue for the sake of arguing.

Have a good one! ...Don't kill each other. :wave:
Peace, Peace when there is no Peace!!!! :)

Matthew 10:34 "No you should be inferring that I came to be casting Peace upon the land. Not I came to be casting/balein <906> (5629) Peace, but a Sword/macairan <3162>"

reve 6:4 And came out another horse, firery red, and to the one sitting upon it/him was given to him/it to be taking the Peace out of the land and that one another they shall be slaying and was given to him a Sword, Great. [Ezekiel 38:21]

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In 177 Athenagoras without any infallible ruling from the RCC, recognizes books as Divinely inspired scripture, and he derives doctrine from those books. He refers to the books themselves, without any infallible ruling from the RCC, he called them "fitting grounds" for defending the doctrines of Christianity:

He was but a Philospher defending Christianity and I can find no where that he stated they were canon??? :confused:

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
what's foolish is commenting without research I've succinctly laid out 6 early church writers and have more that show images even of Christ were looked on in a negative sense and I'd bet prior to Chrysostom you guys would play heck finding many in favor of this...Surely nowhere near a consensus.
So I've shown 6 what do you have prior to St. John Chrysostom???

6?

Here is a list of hundreds of early christian and other assorted writers:

http://www.monachos.net/library/Patristics_Master_List,_Page_1#A_-_Documents_in_the_Monachos_Library

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He does help the SCRIPTURAL case, in that the same thing we try to get you guys to see was noticed early on as well...
It seems he fell into the same error of interpretation which you have :)
This is VERY typical, you know anytime an early church writer writes things to discredit your pov you guys throw them under the train...
I did not throw him under the train, I read your quote in its proper context and found him under the train.
I see you chose not to respond to the Miniscus debate!
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I have a full time job, have three children who all have various activities to attend after school and an internet connection that is slower than molasses on a cold day.

You realise you are guilty of doing exactly what the Catholics do in searching the Church Fathers for anything which might support their position on the Papacy. You are researching a foregone conclusion

John

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
what's foolish is commenting without research I've succinctly laid out 6 early church writers and have more that show images even of Christ were looked on in a negative sense and I'd bet prior to Chrysostom you guys would play heck finding many in favor of this...Surely nowhere near a consensus.
So I've shown 6 what do you have prior to St. John Chrysostom???

6?

Here is a list of hundreds of early christian and other assorted writers:

http://www.monachos.net/library/Patristics_Master_List,_Page_1#A_-_Documents_in_the_Monachos_Library
What good it is to show each other what other guys thought anyhow.
Some said tomato, some said tomahto...

"graven image" search results.

Exodus 20:4
Leviticus 26:1
Deuteronomy 4:16
Deuteronomy 4:23
Deuteronomy 4:25
Deuteronomy 5:8
Deuteronomy 7:5
Deuteronomy 7:25
Deuteronomy 12:3
Judges 17:3
Judges 17:4
Judges 18:14
Judges 18:17
Judges 18:20
Judges 18:30
Judges 18:31
2 Kings 17:41
2 Kings 21:7
2 Chronicles 33:19
2 Chronicles 34:7
Psalm 78:58
Psalm 97:7
Isaiah 10:10
Isaiah 21:9
Isaiah 30:22
Isaiah 40:19
Isaiah 40:20
Isaiah 42:8
Isaiah 42:17
Isaiah 44:9
Isaiah 44:10
Isaiah 44:15
Isaiah 44:17
Isaiah 45:20
Isaiah 48:5
Jeremiah 8:19
Jeremiah 10:14
Jeremiah 50:38
Jeremiah 51:17
Jeremiah 51:47
Jeremiah 51:52
Hosea 11:2
Micah 1:7
Micah 5:13
Nahum 1:14
Habakkuk 2:18

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What good it is to show each other what other guys thought anyhow.
Some said tomato, some said tomahto...

"graven image" search results.

Exodus 20:4
Leviticus 26:1
Deuteronomy 4:16
Deuteronomy 4:23
Deuteronomy 4:25
Deuteronomy 5:8
Deuteronomy 7:5
Deuteronomy 7:25
Deuteronomy 12:3
Judges 17:3
Judges 17:4
Judges 18:14
Judges 18:17
Judges 18:20
Judges 18:30
Judges 18:31
2 Kings 17:41
2 Kings 21:7
2 Chronicles 33:19
2 Chronicles 34:7
Psalm 78:58
Psalm 97:7
Isaiah 10:10
Isaiah 21:9
Isaiah 30:22
Isaiah 40:19
Isaiah 40:20
Isaiah 42:8
Isaiah 42:17
Isaiah 44:9
Isaiah 44:10
Isaiah 44:15
Isaiah 44:17
Isaiah 45:20
Isaiah 48:5
Jeremiah 8:19
Jeremiah 10:14
Jeremiah 50:38
Jeremiah 51:17
Jeremiah 51:47
Jeremiah 51:52
Hosea 11:2
Micah 1:7
Micah 5:13
Nahum 1:14
Habakkuk 2:18
Since when is a painting (an icon in the religious sense) considered a graven image?

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was but a Philospher defending Christianity and I can find no where that he stated they were canon??? :confused:
Jack trace back this exchange to the begining you'll see
I didn't say he stated canon, I said he recognised they were divinely inspired w/o going through the the "infallible" rulings of the rcc...see
In 177 Athenagoras without any infallible ruling from the RCC, recognizes books as Divinely inspired scripture, and he derives doctrine from those books. He refers to the books themselves, without any infallible ruling from the RCC, he called them "fitting grounds" for defending the doctrines of Christianity:

Here's an example!

"If we satisfied ourselves with advancing such considerations as these, our doctrines might by some be looked upon as human. But, since the voices of the prophets confirm our arguments-for I think that you also, with your great zeal for knowledge, and your great attainments in learning, cannot be ignorant of the writings either of Moses or of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the other prophets, who, lifted in ecstasy above the natural operations of their minds by the impulses of the Divine Spirit, uttered the things with which they were inspired, the Spirit making use of them as a flute-player breathes into a flute;-what, then, do these men say? 'The Lord is our God; no other can be compared with Him.' And again: 'I am God, the first and the last, and besides Me there is no God.' In like manner: 'Before Me there was no other God, and after Me there shall be none; I am God, and there is none besides Me.' And as to His greatness: 'Heaven is My throne, and the earth is the footstool of My feet: what house will ye build for Me, or what is the place of My rest?' But I leave it to you, when you meet with the books themselves, to examine carefully the prophecies contained in them, that you may on fitting grounds defend us from the abuse cast upon us." (A Plea for the Christians, 9)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are your respective churches interpretation of this scripture, it's key to this exchange in my opinion.

What do you think Paul meant here..
2 cor 5:
16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by simonthezealot
What do you think Paul meant here..

2 cor 5:16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
Isaiah 65, 1 corin 5 and Reve 21? :)

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Isaiah 65:17 That behold-Me! Creating/01254 bara' Heavens, New-ones, and-Land, New, and-not they-shall-be-remembered the-former-ones/07223 ri'shown, and-not they-shall-come-up on heart.
18 But rather be elated and exult futures of future which I creating. That behold Me! Creating the Y@ruwshalaim
an exultation, and her people an elation.

2 Corin 5:17 So that if any in Christ a new Creation/ktisiV <2937>. The former-things/arcaia <744> pass-away/parhlqen <3928> (5627), behold has become/gegonen <1096> (5754) New the all-things

Revelation 21:1 And I perceived a-Heaven, New, and a-Land, New, for the first heaven and the first land pass-away/parhlqen <3928> (5627)......
6 And He said to me:" it-has-become/gegonen <1096> (5754). I Am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know this wasn't directed at me, but what the heck is wrong with requiring Scriptural backing? :eek:

Sorry in advance if this has already been answered, but the scripture is probably held in even higher esteem by the Orthodox than many other Christian groups, so we are in no way discounting its importance. We value the scriptures so highly that we do not want people to interpret them in whatever way may make sense to them, but instead want to make sure the right message is being understood and taught to each believer. If you take scripture, but miss it's right interpretation, then it's of little value--in fact it can do a lot of harm, see Jehovah's Witnesses or the many other extrememly heterodox cults. So, we each must be humble enough to check our understanding against the unchanging teachings that were passed down from the Apostles, and to them by Christ.

Basil

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What are your respective churches interpretation of this scripture, it's key to this exchange in my opinion.

Hi Simon,
Just curious, what version is this?

My Orthodox Study Bible states this . . . Paul did not know "the historical Jesus", as He voluntarily took on our mortality, lived on earth and was known according to the flesh (v. 16). Nobody knows Jesus that way after His Ascension, for his mortal flesh has been transormed into an immortal body. Even so, our old bodies are transformed into a new creation (v.17) in Christ. Because God created all things through Christ, He will transform and reunite all things - material as well as spiritual-to Himself through Christ.

Love,
Christina

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry in advance if this has already been answered, but the scripture is probably held in even higher esteem by the Orthodox than many other Christian groups, so we are in no way discounting its importance. We value the scriptures so highly that we do not want people to interpret them in whatever way may make sense to them, but instead want to make sure the right message is being understood and taught to each believer. If you take scripture, but miss it's right interpretation, then it's of little value--in fact it can do a lot of harm, see Jehovah's Witnesses or the many other extrememly heterodox cults. So, we each must be humble enough to check our understanding against the unchanging teachings that were passed down from the Apostles, and to them by Christ.

Basil
Hi. The Apostles were Jews/Israelites and they would have quoted from the OC Scriptures as JESUS did.
The Book of Isaiah is fascinating and if you read it closely, it is mainly directed at the OC Hebrew Israelites/Judeans. The Book of Hebrews is all about the OC Mosaic/Levitical Priesthood for example:

Isaiah 65:17 That behold-Me! Creating/01254 bara' Heavens New-ones and-Land New and-not they-shall-be-remembered the-former-ones/07223 ri'shown and-not they-shall-come-up on heart...............

Hebrews 8:13 in the to be saying `New,' He hath made Old the first/prwthn <4413>. The yet being aged and being obsolete/ghraskon <1095> nigh of disappearance/afanismou <854>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Church historian eusibius directly related this text to his disdain for images of Christ and the saints and went on to encourage this...
Believers ought rather to fix their mental eye, above all, upon the divinity of Christ, and, for this purpose, to purify their hearts; since only the pure in heart shall see God.12031203 In Harduin, Collect. concil. tom. iv. p. 406. A fragment of this letter of Eusebius is preserved in the acts of the council of the Iconoclasts at Constantinople in 754, and in the sixth act of the second council of Nice in 787.

Get away from the senses and into the spiritual.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Simon,

This is gnosticism. Christ is Physical and Spiritual, as are we.

Love,
Christina
Hi. But of course. Now if we can only convince the Jews of that. ;)

2 Corin 5:17 So that if any in Christ, a new Creation, the former-things/arcaia <744> pass-away/parhlqen <3928> (5627). Behold! has-become/gegonen <1096> (5754) New the all-things

Revelation 21:4 and the God/YHWH shall be out-rubbing every tear out of their eyes, and the death shall not be any more, nor sorrow, nor crying, nor shall there be any more pain, that the first-things/prwta <4413> pass away/aphlqon <565> (5627).'

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simon,

This is gnosticism. Christ is Physical and Spiritual, as are we.

Love,
Christina
LOL are you suggesting Eusibius was a GNOSTIC?

Christ, says he, has laid aside His earthly servant-form, and Paul exhorts us to cleave no longer to the sensible;1202 and the transcendent glory of His heavenly body cannot be conceived nor represented by man; besides, the second commandment forbids the making to ourselves any likeness of anything in heaven or in earth.
1202 Comp. 2 Cor. v. 16.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.