Does your church allow men working in the nursery to change diapers?

russell_1

May 25, 2010
✟15,232.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I suppose the reasoning is that the bigger the church, the higher the probability that you will get a predator in your midst. It also sounds like something a lawyer suggest or liability insurance policy demand.

I was told that the policy was for my own protection. In a way I guess it is. But in reality, I suspect it's just a means to prevent a possible lawsuit.

The crazy thing is, I was not allowed even though my wife, a female volunteer, and the preschool director were all in the room with me.

I'll be honest. It hurt me to be automatically considered a potential predator because of my gender. Especially by my own church. I didn't work in the nursery very often, only when they needed an extra hand.

It's not worth making an issue over. However, I'm not going to do the nursery anymore. There's plenty of other places in the church that need volunteers. I'll just quietly work someplace else.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with this is GENDER BIAS. You are guilty because of what's between your legs. It's ridiculous. I agree, making a scene wouldn't accomplish anything positive, and would more likely than not be negative.

Valid legal concerns can result in things like not being in the room alone with a minor child, diapers or not. This is pretty standard, and not to come to the defense of RC or anything, they've been pretty aggressive about making amends. Many Judges have called their measures exemplary.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

I just found out my church has a policy that does not allow men to change diapers.
I can see the reason for it

Well, that makes one of us. I can't think of any reason to bar men from changing diapers (although I'm guessing not too many men are arguing with the policy). After seven kids, I think I know my way around a diaper.

Upvote 0

Luna1991

Jan 22, 2013
Sydney
✟7,759.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I can't remember the specific rules we have regarding this - I'll have to ask mum, she's the child protection supervisor for our church.

I think in general, we try to have both a male and a female volunteer at crèche. Preferably the female will deal with diapers and other toilet issues. But I don't think there is a specific rule against a male dealing with this if it's necessary. People aren't usually screaming for the privilege of changing diapers, so I don't think the gender bias issue has ever really come up lol.

I think it can be hard finding a balance. We shouldn't be discouraging men from participating in children's ministry - with so many kids coming from single parent (often single mother) families, I feel it's important that kids have opportunities to form relationships with strong male figures in their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I for one prefer a woman to watch my kids or change diapers but thats just me because of being touched as a child by two different men. If I saw a man in the nursery taking care of the children I would not suspect him of being a molester but my urge to protect my child would overwhelm me....that is if he was the only one in the nursery ...if there are more then one person working in the nursery then I'm just fine with a man changing my childs diaper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Church (most Churches) won't let women be head pastor
so I don't get the entire gender bias outcry.

Sure women can molest children too, but i think it's what most people would want anyway. As for a husband wife combo not allowed, thats pushing it.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just found out my church has a policy that does not allow men to change diapers.
I can see the reason for it, especially because it's a large church.

What do you think about that?

Russell_1

And when did Jesus, who is God, say men can't care for children or change their diapers?

It would be nice if it was more egalitarian. For what I know, Jesus cared for children the same as He cared for adults.

Upvote 0

johnbergsing

May 27, 2013
Visit site
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My guess would be that it's an insurance thing. Other than that, it sounds like they might know of some potential problems they are trying to avoid.

Either way, as a father who just spent the last 11 years changing diapers on five kids, I'd be thrilled to not be allowed to change them! ;-)

Sent from my iPad so, please, forgive the typos!

Upvote 0