Does turning my lights on violate the sabbath?

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
what part exactly would be unbiblical? are you rejecting that the rest of the 7th day is the same rest Jesus spoke about when he said "I will give you rest"

Definitely not the same rest. The rest Jesus spoke about is far superior.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Definitely not the same rest. The rest Jesus spoke about is far superior.
There was no sin and no gospel when the Sabbath was made for all mankind, the gospel (God's plan of salvation) was given after sin according to the scriptures. Is it better to sin or not to sin? If it is better not to sin how can the gospel from sin be superior to not sinning where a gospel is not needed? Though what we see in the gospel from sin is Gods' love as revealed in Jesus as the Savior of all mankind who paid the penalty for our sins so that we can be reconciled back to God after our sins separation from God. No one rests in Christ by not believing what he says and not doing what he says. That would be "unbelief" which is also sin that we are warned against in Hebrews 3; Hebrews 4; Hebrews 10:26-31 and Romans 14:23 etc etc...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The gospel rest is not the same as the Sabbath rest

So you are saying God's rest 'a' is not God's rest 'b' :scratch:

the Sabbath was made before sin and before law and before Gods' plan of salvation for all mankind

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 present different perspectives of the creation account that do not agree in order and are written in a very contrasting style. I don't see that the days 1-7 days of creation as this strict chronogical ordering where day 8+ is where Genesis 2 kicks in.

Hebrew accounts are honor driven they are not fact driven. This doesn't mean they lie or make up stuff, it means the purpose of the accounts are the most valuable and are preserved through the details that build to them. Each detail builds to the goal of the account and Gen 1-2:3 has a different goal then Genesis 2:4-25 and we can't wield them together at the seams and expect they perfectly match. They are different accounts put next to each other with is the norm in Hebraic block logic. Each block has its own goal it builds to and nay have contrasting details that exist in tension or can't be reconciled with other accounts. Our obsession to fix the accounts and force them to work is a western problem not an eastern problem.

To claim God didn't have a plan for salvation before the fall would be attacking his sovereignty not to mention rejecting very clear foreshadows in the creation account like light is with salvation. In the first day there is no sun but there is light, this is a pretty good indicator that it has deeper meanings.

So day 1's light foreshadows salvation as does day 7's sabbath and this is very consistent with layered chaistic structures in the account. First and last verses are book ends to very clearly mark the account as separate ("in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and "thus the heavens and the earth were created").

The first 3 days is God speaking into being separating and organizing and the word create is not used. The next 3 days God fills what the canvas he made in the first 3. Day 1 and 4 are linked with the light and celestial objects, day 2 and 5 are linked with the water/sky and filling the water sky with fish and birds and day 3 and 6 are link with land and land animals. This is a form of a chaistic rythmn but others are noticable as well such as with day 1 and day 7 both pointing to salvation that may show us a fruition of a plan of salvation from Christ's first comming at first light to Christ's second comming.

The creation account is as prophetic as revelation is (another chaistic structure) and we do a diservice when we can only read the surface.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I read it but it seems conflicting to me, so are you saying there is only one rest of God?
No you micro quoted me. The post you micro quoted me says...

"The gospel rest is not the same as the Sabbath rest. The gospel was given as God's plan of salvation for mankind after sin. The Sabbath was made before sin. The gospel rest is what we receive after we have sinned, when we believe and follow Gods' Word and was given as a part of God's plan of salvation after the fall of mankind. Today we do not enter into God's rest which is the "seventh day Sabbath rest" without receiving the Gospel rest which is what we receive by believing and following Gods' Word *Hebrews 4:1-9. The Gospel rest is a part of God's plan of salvation after sin for all mankind. As posted earlier from the scriptures the Sabbath was made before sin and before law and before Gods' plan of salvation for all mankind (Gospel), so it is cannot be a "shadow law" that mirrors God's salvation for mankind because there was no sin and no plan of salvation (Gospel) when the Sabbath was made for all mankind."

The scriptures for the above were provided earlier in post # 75 linked...

"The Sabbath was made before sin and before law and before Gods' plan of salvation for all mankind, so it is not a "shadow law" that mirrors God's salvation for mankind. God made the Sabbath for all mankind *Mark 2:27 as part of the "finished work" of creation *Genesis 2:1-3 where on the "seventh day" according to the scriptures, God "rested" from all the work he had made and "blessed" the "seventh day" as a "holy day" of rest *Genesis 2:1-3 for all mankind *Mark 2:27 as a "memorial" of creation and God as the creator of heaven and earth *Exodus 20:8-11. So the Sabbath being a memorial of creation points "backwards" to creation not forwards to things to come *Exodus 20:8. There was no sin and no law when God created the Sabbath for all mankind. Mankind was already in perfect harmony with God (sinless) and talked face to face with their creator. God's 4th commandment Sabbath is one of Gods' 10 commandments that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken and righteousness when obeyed *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and if we knowingly break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of sin according to James 2:10-11."

Makes more sense when the scriptures and full context are added back in.

God's rest is the Sabbath rest - Genesis 2:1-3 (before sin)
Our rest is believing and following Gods' Word (gospel after sin) - Matthew 11:28-30

Sabbath made "before" sin
Gospel given "after" sin

They are not the same thing

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So then there are 2 rests that "are not the same"
One is called

1. GOD'S REST = Defined in the scriptures as the "seventh day Sabbath" *Exodus 20:10 (before sin and the gospel given to save man from sin)

Exodus 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God

From Genesis 2:1-3...

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Genesis 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he {God} rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. [3], And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he {God} had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God's rest is the "seventh day" Sabbath...

Exodus 31:13 Speak you also to the children of Israel, saying, Truly MY SABBATHS you shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that you may know that I am the LORD that does sanctify you.

Leviticus 19:3 You shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep MY SABBATHS: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:2 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Isaiah 56:4 For thus said the LORD to the eunuchs that keep MY SABBATHS, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;

Ezekiel 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them

Ezekiel 20:13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and MY SABBATHS they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted MY SABBATHS: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:20 And hallow MY SABBATHS; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that you may know that I am the LORD your God.

etc etc...

God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath of creation"....

Genesis 2:1-3 [1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he {God} rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. [3], And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he {God} had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Hebrews 4:1-5 ;9 [1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST {God's rest}, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], FOR TO US WAS THE GOSPEL PREACHED, AS WELL AS TO THEM: BUT THE WORD PREACHED DID NOT PROFIT THEM, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH IN THEM THAT HEARD IT.
[3], For WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.
[4], For HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE {Genesis 2:1-3} OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS.
[5], And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST {God's rest}.

[9] THEREFOR IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH.

2. OUR REST is believing and following what God says (gospel given after sin)...

Hebrews 4:2-3 [2], FOR TO US WAS THE GOSPEL PREACHED, AS WELL AS TO THEM: BUT THE WORD PREACHED DID NOT PROFIT THEM, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH IN THEM THAT HEARD IT.
[3], For WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED DO ENTER INTO REST, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: ALTHOUGH THE WORKS WERE FINISHED FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD.

Matthew 11:28-30 [28], Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
[29], Take my yoke on you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. [30], For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

God's rest is different to our rest which we receive when webelieve and follow God's Word. We do not enter into God's rest (Seventh day Sabbath) until we believe and follow God's Word (gospel)

Our rest is believing and following Gods' Word (gospel after sin) - Matthew 11:28-30

Gospel given "after" sin

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God's rest is different to our rest which we receive when webelieve and follow God's Word. We do not enter into God's rest (Seventh day Sabbath) until we believe and follow God's Word (gospel)
Slaves and animals have no authority to take rest and it must be given to them in order for them to have rest. This is a parallel to the very point you make about this self titled "our rest" with the focus of it being received. From your definitions the 4th commandment would seem to be a bridge between the 7th day and the gospel as it demonstrates both the forms of rest you have identified.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Slaves and animals have no authority to take rest and it must be given to them in order for them to have rest. This is a parallel to the very point you make about this self titled "our rest" with the focus of it being received. From your definitions the 4th commandment would seem to be a bridge between the 7th day and the gospel as it demonstrates both the forms of rest you have identified.
Not really dear friend. It is not a parallel whatsoever and you have not provided any scripture to show there is. Yet Gods' Word (not mine) says that God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath of creation" that he commands us to keep and follow. Our rest is in believing and following God's Word (the gospel). There is no self titled "Our rest". You were provided the scriptures showing what Gods' Word (not mine) defines as "God's rest" (before sin) and "Our rest" (after sin) in the scriptures from the very post you are quoting from. So what is it in this post you do not believe? I have judged nothing except to provide you with God's Words that are not my words but Gods', but it seems for some reason you have not told me you do not believe them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not really dear friend. It is not a parallel whatsoever and you have not provided any scripture to show there is. Yet Gods' Word (not mine) says that God's rest is the "seventh day Sabbath of creation" that he commands us to keep and follow. Our rest is in believing and following God's Word (the gospel). There is no self titled "Our rest". You were provided the scriptures showing what Gods' Word (not mine) defines as "God's rest" (before sin) and "Our rest" (after sin) in the scriptures from the very post you are quoting from. So what is it in this post you do not believe? I have judged nothing except to provide you with God's Words that are not my words but Gods', but it seems for some reason you have not told me you do not believe them.
"Our rest" is a term absent from the text and of your own

Heb 4:1,2a
Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it ... For we who have believed enter that rest...

"His rest" is the context, it invokes it again in v3 saying "that rest". So it is not "our rest" it is "his rest". Your own words confirm this as you say the gospel rest is received. How can we recieve something that is already ours?

Does the oxen take the rest for themself or is it given to them? The 4th commandment demands it is given to them because the oxen has no athority to take it themself. This is the parallel as the gospel is given to us and we have no authority to take it ourselves.

The scripture is in plain sight and you even quote them yourself you just fail to connect the dots and so aggressively fight it that you conclude it must be 2 rests. Are there 2 sacrafices as well, one for Christ and one for the law?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"Our rest" is a term absent from the text and of your own

Heb 4:1,2a
Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it ... For we who have believed enter that rest...

"His rest" is the context, it invokes it again in v3 saying "that rest". So it is not "our rest" it is "his rest". Your own words confirm this as you say the gospel rest is received. How can we recieve something that is already ours?
Not really dear friend but let's show why...

Hebrews 4:1-5 ;9 [1], Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into HIS REST {God's rest}, any of you should seem to come short of it.
[2], FOR TO US WAS THE GOSPEL PREACHED, AS WELL AS TO THEM: BUT THE WORD PREACHED DID NOT PROFIT THEM, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH IN THEM THAT HEARD IT.
[4], For HE SPOKE IN A CERTAIN PLACE {Genesis 2:1-3} OF THE SEVENTH DAY ON THIS WISE, AND GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS.

Note: Two rests. One is God's rest v1 (before sin), the reason Gods people did not enter into God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath) was because they did not believe and follow the gospel (God's Word - after sin). We which believe and follow the gospel (God's Word) v2-3 (Our rest - Matthew 11:28-30) enter into God's Rest (the seventh day Sabbath rest) see v4-5

[3], For WE WHICH HAVE BELIEVED {the Gospel v2} DO ENTER INTO REST,

God's 4th commandments Sabbath is a part of the gospel given after sin and we which believe do enter into rest. Those who believe enter into God's rest {seventh day Sabbath}...

[9] THEREFORE IT REMAINS FOR THE PEOPLE OF GOD TO KEEP THE SABBATH

God's rest (Sabbath) is different to our rest (believing and following the gospel) which we receive when we believe and follow God's Word. We do not enter into God's rest (Seventh day Sabbath) until we believe and follow God's Word (gospel)

Gospel given "after" sin

Does the oxen take the rest for themself or is it given to them? The 4th commandment demands it is given to them because the oxen has no athority to take it themself. This is the parallel as the gospel is given to us and we have no authority to take it ourselves. The scripture is in plain sight and you even quote them yourself you just fail to connect the dots and so aggressively fight it that you conclude it must be 2 rests. Are there 2 sacrafices as well, one for Christ and one for the law?
We which enter into God's rest do so by believing and following God's Word. We give Sabbath rest to those within our gates (home) according to the scriptures already shared with you. It is you failing to connect the dots. I am only providing you with God's Word and God's Word is not mine but God's. There is no sacrifices written in the 10 commandments for sin under the new covenant. Jesus is our sacrifice and great High Priest ministering on our behalf in the heavenly Sanctuary not made with hands.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not really dear friend but let's show why...

Note: Two rests. One is God's rest v1 (before sin), the reason Gods people did not enter into God's rest (the seventh day Sabbath) was because they did not believe and follow the gospel (God's Word - after sin). We which believe and follow the gospel (God's Word) v2-3 (Our rest - Matthew 11:28-30) enter into God's Rest (the seventh day Sabbath rest) see v4-5

We which enter into God's rest through believing and following God's Word give it to them according to the scriptures already shared with you. It is you failing to connect the dots. I am only providing you with God's Word and God's Word is not mine but God's. There is no sacrifices in the 10 commandments under the new covenant.

Hope this helps.
This is interpretative and cherry picking a version to avoid it linking it back to "his rest". Anything you have quoted is still absent the term "our rest" and this separation of rest as you have determined. What gives you the liberty to wave your hand and split God's rest in two?

In the end you are saying the same thing but just demand them to be separate which is confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is interpretative and cherry picking a version to avoid it linking it back to "his rest". Anything you have quoted is still absent the term "our rest" and this separation of rest as you have determined. What gives you the liberty to wave your hand and split God's rest in two?

In the end you are saying the same thing but just demand them to be separate which is confusing.

Not really dear friend. You have been provided God's Word and the context you left out in Hebrews 4 and God's Word is not my words but God's. What is it you do not believe in the scriptures shared with you? As shown through Gods Word (not my words), God's rest defined by scripture (not me) is the "seventh day Sabbath" *Genesis 2:1-4; Hebrews 4:1-5; 9;. Our rest is in believing and following God's Word (the gospel rest) *Hebrews 4:1-3; Matthew 11:28-30. No one enters Gods' rest (the seventh day Sabbath rest) without believing and following Gods' Word (the Gospel rest) *Hebrews 4:1-2; Romans 14:23; James 4:7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There was no sin and no gospel when the Sabbath was made for all mankind

There was also no Sabbath for mankind at that time. The Sabbath was for God only. It was not until Israel left Egypt that the Sabbath was given to man and it was given to Israel not "mankind" as a whole.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There was also no Sabbath for mankind at that time. The Sabbath was for God only. It was not until Israel left Egypt that the Sabbath was given to man and it was given to Israel not "mankind" as a whole.
Actually that is not true ewq1938. According to JESUS the Sabbath was made for mankind *Mark 2:27 and JESUS should know as he was the Lord and creator of it *Mark 2:28; John 1:1-4; 14. Adam and Eve were created on the 6th day in the image of God *Genesis 1:26-31. God made the Sabbath on the "seventh day" where he blessed the "seventh day" and made it a holy day of rest for man in Genesis 2:1-3. There was no Jew, no Israel, no Moses, no law and no gospel because there was no sin when God made the Sabbath for man according to the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually that is not true ewq1938.

It's true. The first time scripture mentions the Sabbath for humans it's after Israel left Egypt and God has Moses tell them all the rules about it. Clearly they are being told about the Sabbath for the first time.

It was made on the 7th day of creation but it was not given or commanded to man until long after.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It's true. The first time scripture mentions the Sabbath for humans it's after Israel left Egypt and God has Moses tell them all the rules about it. Clearly they are being told about the Sabbath for the first time.

It was made on the 7th day of creation but it was not given or commanded to man until long after.

Actually no dear friend, that is not true, but let me explain why from the scriptures. There was no Sabbath before it was created for mankind on the "seventh day" of the creation week *Genesis 2:1-3; Mark 2:27 so there was simply no name for it. What came first is the action of resting which is the verb form of Sabbath or how the Sabbath is kept. Afterwards we have the noun form of the verb that is descriptive of what is being kept.

This is verified in the Hebrew which you can check for yourself because if you do a word etymology search you will see that the root word of the noun Sabbath (Shabbath H7676) is to the verb Rest (Shabath H7373) so the noun (description of what is being kept by resting) comes out of the verb for keeping Sabbath by resting on the "seventh day"

The difference between resting (root word for keeping Sabbath) and Sabbath (noun of what is being kept by resting) can be shown here...

REST SHABATH שׁבת (H7373) {The verb of how the Sabbath is kept} A primitive root; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep sabbath, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

SABBATH SHABBATH שׁבּת (H7676)
{The noun or description of what is being kept by resting} Intensive from H7673; intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: - (+ every) sabbath.

While the root word SHABATH שׁבת means keeping Sabbath by resting on the "seventh day", the Hebrew word for Sabbath in God's 4th commandments is the noun or description in Hebrew of the verb rest and simply means from one Sabbath to another or from one rest on the "seventh day" to the next rest on the "seventh day". So there was no word for Sabbath before God made the Sabbath by Blessing it for all mankind, and setting the "seventh day apart from all the other days of the week as a Holy day of rest..

Before the written Word of God was given at Mt Sinia *Exodus 20:1-17 there was the spoken Word of God. Nowhere in scriptures is there any hint that God's people before MOSES did not know about God's seventh day Sabbath or His commandments. The very fact that Gods' people before Mt Sinai in Exodus 16 before the written Word was given knew about the Sabbath is evidence of this fact. Before the written word of God there was the spoken word of God (e.g. GENESIS 3:1-3; 9; 11-19 8:15; 9:8; 24:7; 31:11 etc). If you need more scripture proof that God's people had God's Torah before Mt Sinai through the spoken Word of God just let me know as there is a lot of scripture on this subject that proves this.

For example Abraham knew about sin as he made burnt offerings for sin and we do not know what sin is without God's law *1 John 3:4; Romans 3:20. This is also proven in Genesis before the written Word of God, when God says

Genesis 26:5 [5], Because that ABRAHAM OBEYED MY VOICE AND KEPT MY CHARGE, MAY COMMANDMENTS, MY STATUTES AND MY LAWS.

The Hebrew word used for laws here is Torah. So, it is very clear that the spoken word of God included God’s Torah. The Torah includes all God's laws from God's eternal law (10 Commandments) that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN AND RIGHTEOUSNESS *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and the “shadow laws” for remission of sin (sin offerings) if God's law was broken.

So the above scriptures prove that before the written Word of God, all of God's people followed God through the Spoken Word of God and God making the Sabbath for all mankind would have been passed down to Gods' people through Adam and Eve.

Hope this is helpful

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ex 20:11 says it was made binding obligation for all mankind

The verse says no such thing. Here is when man first was commanded to keep the Sabbath:

Exo 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
Exo 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exo 16:27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.

Being the first Sabbath for them, some were confused and went out on the Sabbath.

Then it is not until some chapters later that more of the Sabbath rules were given to the people:

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The verse says no such thing. Here is when man first was commanded to keep the Sabbath:

Exo 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
Exo 16:24 And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
Exo 16:25 And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
Exo 16:26 Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
Exo 16:27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.

Exodus 16 is not a commandment. It is something already known and given to mankind according to the scriptures back in creation according to Jesus and God *Mark 2:27; Genesis 2:1-3. Exodus 16 is a part of the spoken Word of God (see also more scripture proof in post # 98 linked). Exodus 16 is only proof that God's people already knew about God's Sabbath before the 10 commandments were given.

Genesis 26:5 where God says [5], Because that ABRAHAM OBEYED MY VOICE AND KEPT MY CHARGE, MAY COMMANDMENTS, MY STATUTES AND MY LAWS.

The Hebrew word used for laws here is Torah. So, it is very clear that the spoken word of God included God’s Torah. The Torah includes all God's laws from God's eternal law (10 Commandments) that give us the knowledge of good and evil: sin and righteousness *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and the “shadow laws” for remission of sin (sin offerings) if God's law was broken.

So the above scriptures prove that before the written Word of God, all of God's people followed God through the Spoken Word of God and God making the Sabbath for all mankind would have been passed down to Gods' people through Adam and Eve.

There is no scripture that says Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest. Sunday worship is simply a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many to break God's 10 commandments. Jesus warns us about following man-made teachings and traditions that break the commandments of God in Matthew 15:3-9. God is calling us to come out from following mad-made teachings and traditions back to the pure Word of God. Our God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

According to JESUS and God in the scriptures, the Sabbath was given to all mankind on the "seventh day" of the creation week *Mark 2:27; Genesis 2:1-3

Last edited:
Upvote 0