Does 'truth for you but not for me' always imply relativism?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Its sometimes said that relativism is apparent when someone says 'that may be true or truth for you but its not true for me.'

I grant that may sometimes indicate that a person is expressing a relativistic view of truth, but does it always mean that? Could someone not be saying that they have not had an experience of a truth. In which case they might not be denying its truth, but just saying its not yet true in their case.

So laying laying out a series of 'saving facts' and asking a non-christian to assent to them as a way bring them to faith would destroy their integrity as they are not yet truth for them.

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I grant that may sometimes indicate that a person is expressing a relativistic view of truth, but does it always mean that? Could someone not be saying that they have not had an experience of a truth. In which case they might not be denying its truth, but just saying its not yet true in their case.
Either way it's a rejection of God's grace. God wants to make the Gospel true for everyone.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Its sometimes said that relativism is apparent when someone says 'that may be true or truth for you but its not true for me.'

So laying laying out a series of 'saving facts' and asking a non-christian to assent to them as a way bring them to faith would destroy their integrity as they are not yet truth for them.
In terms of spiritual maturity, some stages of maturity may commonly read a passage a certain way, and other stages yet another. Sometimes the giftings we are given also influence this further.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Which happens all the time.

Cushioning the blow seems more merciful, but when it's important to the other person, beating around the bush hurts more than just being honest.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
An example of relativism in Christianity is in the concept of being under the law, it is an individual's choice to be under the law instead of being directed by the Holy Spirit. Once someone puts themselves under the law, then the whole law applies to them and only them, but no one else.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It certainly can mean relativism, as I said. But what about in the context of asking people in a state of ignorance to give mental assent to certain scriptural propositions or 'saving facts' before they have come to see for themselves that these things are true. Is there not necessary a period of time for study, reflection for people to come to see something to be true? If conversion hasn't occured how can they assent? Merely giving mental assent to some propositions doesn't mean a person has experiential knowing for instance that Christ died for them.

The reason I asked is that I had read the following (from James D Smart - The Divided mind of Modern Theology) I think he means post-reformation protestant orthodoxy when he says 'Orthodoxy':

"Orthodoxy thought it was bringing men to faith when it presented to them the 'saving facts' - Christ as true God and true man, who came to earth to save sinners, reconcilling them to God by his blood on the cross - and regarded their acceptance of these facts as acceptance of the truth, but actually it was destroying men's integrity in leading them to call something truth that was not truth for them, securing a naive assent largely out of ignorance. Even convinced assent dare not be confused with the faith that justifies. Such assent leads on the one hand to a fleshly security and on the other to uncertainty about personal salvation. It is like Luther in the cloister, struggling to make himself believe more firmly."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums