Does trusting in Jesus death for your sins alone, make him your Lord?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This thought entered my mind today. If a person puts his trust in Jesus alone, Jesus death for our sins on the cross alone for his salvation, does that make Jesus his Lord?

To me it's the most vital matter, that Jesus is our Lord, not doctrines as such.

*Edited*

Last edited:

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This thought entered my mind today. If an unbeliever puts his trust in Jesus alone, Jesus death for our sins on the cross alone for his salvation, does that make Jesus his Lord?

To me it's the most vital matter, that Jesus is our Lord, not doctrines as such.

Please define trust as you use it in your hypothetical comment.

other issues have to be considered
Repentance
Matthew 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Obedience
John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

By the way the above verses are doctrine

salvation
săl-vā′shən
noun
  1. Preservation or deliverance from destruction, difficulty, or evil.
  2. A source, means, or cause of such preservation or deliverance.
  3. Deliverance from the power or penalty of sin; redemption

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thought entered my mind today. If an unbeliever puts his trust in Jesus alone, Jesus death for our sins on the cross alone for his salvation, does that make Jesus his Lord?

Ultimately, yes. Changes occur over time, they start producing "good fruit" and such, the Holy Spirit starts working in their lives and this is a sign that it is a saving belief. However, if one were to decide to put their trust in Jesus, walks out of wherever it was that they made that decision and gets hit by a car and die, it is enough and still a life-saving faith. Jesus knows the heart.

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To me, the Resurrection was proof of his final authority and authentic sonship.
Matthew 3:17 "This is my Son in whom I am well pleased"

John 1:12-13 says "12 But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God"

Note: "gave the right to become"

If someone is your Lord, you follow Him. You follow Him because you believe in Him.

John 3:35-36

35 The Father loves the Son and has placed all things in His hands. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life. Whoever rejects the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him.”

And there are those too, whom the Son rejects

Matthew 7:21-23

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

They clearly thought He was their Lord, but I suspect they remained Lords of themselves.

There is a moment in the gospels:

John 15:15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

I am forgiven for my sins before the Father for accepting His son, but to me a good measure of the Christian walk is "would Jesus call me friend?" To answer that question, I have to get to know Him, and then I have to follow Him. But I would also say, that following Him is a good way of getting to know Him. You can't have one without the other. You will have all the joys of the journey, the transformation and the becoming. Of seeking and doing the will of the Father. And you will never hear that terrible utterance at the end:

"I never knew ye"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

If, (as I believe), the trust (faith) is the work of the Spirit of God, and not the act of will and intellect of man, Jesus is Lord. But, (as I also believe), our minds reborn, we willfully pursue and acknowledge and desire him to be Lord.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, yes. Changes occur over time, they start producing "good fruit" and such, the Holy Spirit starts working in their lives and this is a sign that it is a saving belief. However, if one were to decide to put their trust in Jesus, walks out of wherever it was that they made that decision and gets hit by a car and die, it is enough and still a life-saving faith. Jesus knows the heart.
Yeah, sort of like a Thief on the cross situation. All he said was “Jesus, remember me”. He had no time to do any good deeds; his vocal proclamation of faith and repentance (“we are receiving what we deserve, but He has done no wrong”) was his good deed. Jesus accepted that.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If, (as I believe), the trust (faith) is the work of the Spirit of God, and not the act of will and intellect of man, Jesus is Lord. But, (as I also believe), our minds reborn, we willfully pursue and acknowledge and desire him to be Lord.

Heh.

Micah 6:8

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

"Oh! That's easy!" I said
"Except..."
"When have I ever actually done it...?"

Matthew 6:14

14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

"Wait - this changes everything! I can't believe how judgmental God has always been portrayed! I'm very forgiving! I'm safe!"
"Errr... ummm"
"Except when I'm not..."
"What would happen to me if Christ applied the same judgement to me that I'm quick to off handedly wish upon others?"
"When I'm not merciful... exactly how not-merciful am I?"
"Uhoh"

Turns out thistle trees don't produce figs.
But praise God and Christ almighty who can cut down one tree
And plant another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, sort of like a Thief on the cross situation. All he said was “Jesus, remember me”. He had no time to do any good deeds; his vocal proclamation of faith and repentance (“we are receiving what we deserve, but He has done no wrong”) was his good deed. Jesus accepted that.

He had nowhere to follow Christ but into death.
And this he did, faithfully

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Atonement is a package deal, which ultimately brings one into the family of God. Having come into the family of God, you are subject to His Lordship ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, note that Jesus assumed Lordship of his life from that point on ... "Today, you will be with me in paradise ... "

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It occurs to me, ... that EVERYONE is already under the Lordship of Jesus.

"That, at the name of Jesus, every knee shall bow ... and every tongue confess the Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God, the Father."

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

An unbeliever at some point believes by repenting, changing their mind and go in a different direction. They recieve His Holy Spirit who will unveil the Kingdom of God. They are a new creation. Blessings.
"But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why would an unbeliever do that?

When they get overwhelmed by the love, light and life of Christ they encounter on www.ChristianForums.com and see the error of their ways ;)

I'm being cheeky, but
I mean... it *could* happen...

Eventually someone sees "that"
And they know that "that" is different
And "that" is good
And "that" is true
And they want that.
Or sometimes the Holy Spirit holds up a mirror
And they see the exact opposite
And they know that they don't want "opposite-that"
And they turn in the other direction as fast as they can
And find "that" running beside them
Leading them on

Or sometimes "that" just jumps someone in a blind alley
Or a Damascus road
Heh. Or in a bar at 11401 Woodglen Dr, Rockville, MD
Which was so shady it has since changed hands
("Mos Eisley" would have been a compliment)
And whispers just the smallest peace of Truth in their ear
Right after "'Round Here" by Counting Crows has finished playing
To get the ball rolling
And they may not know it at first
(or even for a while)
But that's Christ.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would an unbeliever do that?

He might be someone who knows the story of Jesus and comes to believe it's historically true and decides to trust in Jesus atoning sacrifice alone for his salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He might be someone who knows the story of Jesus and come to believe it's historically true and decides to trust in Jesus atoning sacrifice alone for his salvation.
How would they be classified as an unbeliever?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, the work of the Spirit, but what caused this unbeliever to put his trust in Christ alone for his salvation was not the question I intended, but if trusting alone in the atoning sacrifice of Christ make Jesus automatically your Lord.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How would they be classified as an unbeliever?

I'd say an unbeliever is a person that doesn't yet believe that Jesus died for our sins.

Obviously when he trusts in Jesus he is no longer an unbeliever.

Edit: Maybe I should take away "unbeliever" from the OP. :scratch:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This thought entered my mind today. If a person puts his trust in Jesus alone, Jesus death for our sins on the cross alone for his salvation, does that make Jesus his Lord?

*Edited*
Jesus is his Lord regardless. See Matthew 28:18-20.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0