Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In a recent thread I questioned if Donald Trump understands how trade actually works.

In that same theme, today I will question whether or not Trump understands how Health Insurance, and the Healthcare Industry works.

During a recent New York Times interview, Trump gave the following summation of how Health Insurance works:

HABERMAN: That’s been the thing for four years. When you win an entitlement, you can’t take it back.

TRUMP: But what it does, Maggie, it means it gets tougher and tougher. As they get something, it gets tougher. Because politically, you can’t give it away. So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

What?! First, does he really think I'm paying $12 a year for insurance? Is he really that out of touch? Second, I'm still a good number of decades from 70, I would really like to have a good plan leading up to, and past 70.

I feel it is important that the most significant player currently forming the nation's healthcare policies, actually understands how healthcare and health insurance works.

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I think his knowledge on health care was summed up when he stated, "Nobody knew health care could be so complicated." First, it shows he had no clue about health care; second, it shows he hadn't listened to anyone about the issues of healthcare.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Trump can't run a bath, let alone a country.

Controversially, the only president of yours I've liked in recent history was Obama. Say what you want, but he understood the nuances of world politics in a way that Trump never will.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In a recent thread I questioned if Donald Trump understands how trade actually works.

In that same theme, today I will question whether or not Trump understands how Health Insurance, and the Healthcare Industry works.

During a recent New York Times interview, Trump gave the following summation of how Health Insurance works:

HABERMAN: That’s been the thing for four years. When you win an entitlement, you can’t take it back.

TRUMP: But what it does, Maggie, it means it gets tougher and tougher. As they get something, it gets tougher. Because politically, you can’t give it away. So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

What?! First, does he really think I'm paying $12 a year for insurance? Is he really that out of touch? Second, I'm still a good number of decades from 70, I would really like to have a good plan leading up to, and past 70.

I feel it is important that the most significant player currently forming the nation's healthcare policies, actually understands how healthcare and health insurance works.
Trump doesn't have a clue and he doesn't have a care. He removes the mandates and then describes them. The only way it works is one payer and that only works if everyone is paying into it, especially the young who don't need it so much.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I do not believe he does. He has probably never had to understand it. And it doesn't seem like he wants to now or to lead in bettering this issue- it's other people's job to come up with a plan so he can say that he got something done even if he doesn't understand it.

ETA: Which also didn't happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I do not believe he does. He has probably never had to understand it. And it doesn't seem like he wants to now- it's other people's job to come up with a plan so he can say that he got something done even if he doesn't understand it.
Except nothing got done while he was golfing and jetting off to Paris.

• Agree
Reactions: mina
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Donald Trump appears reasonably healthy and even if he suffered a catastrophic illness he has more than enough money to cover any exigency. He cares nothing about health care beyond that except possibly how he and/or the rich and powerful might profit from it.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do think he's over his head with the healthcare bill. It's an impossible situation to be honest.
It really isn't. When 37 nations are beating you in healthcare, and they all use similar systems, it might be a hint.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Donald Trump appears reasonably healthy and even if he suffered a catastrophic illness he has more than enough money to cover any exigency. He cares nothing about health care beyond that except possibly how he and/or the rich and powerful might profit from it.
"reasonably healthy"

The man is a butterball turkey who claims exercise drains limited energy. He's not as unhealthy as some, but he's hardly in good health.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Donald Trump appears reasonably healthy...

Are we watching the same guy? He's obese and unable to walk more than short distances, that's not reasonable healthy.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are we watching the same guy? He's obese and unable to walk more than short distances, that's not reasonable healthy.

Not being a physician, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

President Trump does not understand healthcare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CitizenD

Jul 19, 2017
San Francisco
✟100,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do think he's over his head with the healthcare bill. It's an impossible situation to be honest.
That is what tends to happen when the president's party spends 7 years screaming to high heaven about how terrible the ACA is when in reality they recognize it is too much of an improvement over prior years to get rid of.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,432.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not being a physician, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Haven't you heard? He has the best health. He's the healthiest man in his seventies his doctor ever saw (alright, the doctor never saw him and wrote the health letter in 5 minutes, but still). He's also the healthiest president ever.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Seems he doesn't know the difference between health insurance and life insurance.

Upvote 0