Berlin
✟72,325.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Disturbing news from America in German TV. Protests against police brutality (esp. targeted at colored people), some peaceful, others rather riots and plundering - and a president who does not calm the feelings, but rather heats up the situation (at least according German TV). And he threatens to use military power, which is legal only in very exceptional situations.

I remember the "9-11" of 1973: After a long series of boycotts (resp. strikes AKA walk-outs) and riots, mostly instigated by the CIA, the military took over control in Chile. A period of democracy ended, about two decades of dictatorship began. The lesson of this: Just because your country is democratic, you can't be sure it will stay so.

A president using military to get more control, using a situation which he partly created by his words and actions - this comes close to a military coup.

Does Trump has such an agenda? Or is just careless?

Will the military obey the president even if he breaks the constitution? Or will it end another way?

In Chile, part of the generals wanted to restore peace and democracy, which was undermined not only by the CIA, but also by some actions of the Allende government that were not very legal (to say the least). But then the hardliners with Pinochet prevailed. Crushing the leftist enemies was more important than democracy and human rights.

Which scenario is most probable in the US?

• Useful
Reactions: Tone

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Will the military obey the president even if he breaks the constitution? Or will it end another way?
It will end another way. It will end when they've stolen every TV and bottle of liquor there is to steal. If you own a store with the windows smashed and everything stolen, you're not going to replace the inventory in order for them to steal it again. So it will end peacefully when there's nothing left to steal.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It will end another way. It will end when they've stolen every TV and bottle of liquor there is to steal. If you own a store with the windows smashed and everything stolen, you're not going to replace the inventory in order for them to steal it again. So it will end peacefully when there's nothing left to steal.

Given that alternative, I for one welcome our new military overlords.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A president using military to get more control, using a situation which he partly created by his words and actions - this comes close to a military coup.
Maybe. Maybe not. But since none of that describes the situation in the US, you can and should just write these irresponsible news flashes off for what they are--more of the usual. Political rhetoric. Propaganda.

We've reached the stage now when nothing is too absurd for some politicians and their supporters to claim about their enemies. Nothing can be done about it, so long as they word it in just the right way...and they know that very well.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are tensions between Trump and the military (some in the Pentagon, for example, are unhappy with what is going on), so I doubt we could end up with a military coup even if Trump wanted to move in that direction. I'm just not convinced the military would follow him if he outright decided to toss the constitution out the window.

I don't think he's thinking that far ahead, though. I wouldn't rule out him attempting a coup at this point, but if he does, it'll be because he stumbled blindly into it, not because he had an agenda.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There are tensions between Trump and the military (some in the Pentagon, for example, are unhappy with what is going on), so I doubt we could end up with a military coup even if Trump wanted to move in that direction. I'm just not convinced the military would follow him if he outright decided to toss the constitution out the window.

I don't think he's thinking that far ahead, though. I wouldn't rule out him attempting a coup at this point, but if he does, it'll be because he stumbled blindly into it, not because he had an agenda.

I don’t think he’ll attempt a coup, but I think it’s perfectly possible that in an angry moment he’ll try and order the military to act violently towards protestors (in his head all that matters is dominance) and they’ll refuse his order publicly causing another constitutional crisis.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is with this pandemic of misusing the word "coup"? First it was apparently a democratic party coup to put Pence in power, now it's a Trump coup so that Trump, who is in power, gets into power.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No Trump is not planning a military coup, he is pouring gasoline on the fire to play the strongman for his supporters.

What is more likely is a judicial coup, ie. If the election is close in November, expect Trump to go to the courts,the ones he's packed with his supporters.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tripped over mole hill and landed in a yellow jacket nest and as I ran from them I ran into a tree.
THIS IS ALL TRUMPS FAULT!!!!
Some how Trump MUST have gotten to get that mole to tunnel in my path and somehow Trump caused that distraction which caused me no to see it and Trump MUST have baited those yellow jackets to build their nest there knowing I'd be tripping in that direction. Give me enough time and I'll conjecture a story how he got that tree in my way, too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Disturbing news from America in German TV. Protests against police brutality (esp. targeted at colored people), some peaceful, others rather riots and plundering - and a president who does not calm the feelings, but rather heats up the situation (at least according German TV). And he threatens to use military power, which is legal only in very exceptional situations.

I remember the "9-11" of 1973: After a long series of boycotts (resp. strikes AKA walk-outs) and riots, mostly instigated by the CIA, the military took over control in Chile. A period of democracy ended, about two decades of dictatorship began. The lesson of this: Just because your country is democratic, you can't be sure it will stay so.

Does Trump has such an agenda? Or is just careless?

In Chile, part of the generals wanted to restore peace and democracy, which was undermined not only by the CIA, but also by some actions of the Allende government that were not very legal (to say the least). But then the hardliners with Pinochet prevailed. Crushing the leftist enemies was more important than democracy and human rights.

Which scenario is most probable in the US?
I don't think there'd be much left of America if there was a coup d'etat. Since the corporations seem to have sponsored trump initially, that would not be in their best interest - it would kill off too many of their customers.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First let us define these two words:

Rebellion; Opposition to one in authority or dominance.
Insurrection; The act of or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.
The insurrection act:

The Act empowers the U.S. president to call into service the U.S. Armed Forces and the National Guard
when requested by a state's legislature, or governor if the legislature cannot be convened, to address an insurrection against that state,
to address an insurrection, in any state, which makes it impracticable to enforce the law, or to address an insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination or conspiracy, in any state, which results in the deprivation of Constitutionally-secured rights, and where the state is unable, fails, or refuses to protect said rights

The last time it was invoked was during the Los Angeles riots in May of 1992.The state of California requested it. Insurrection Act of 1807 - Wikipedia

In my opinion this current situation is rebellion against the government for perceived past wrongs.
We may call this rioting. It is criminal in every way. It is not exercising the right to peacefully assemble much the same as Watts in 92.
While the actions we see by some of the protesters may rise to the level of above definitions, caution thus far has been practiced. If they continue down this path of destruction, order will be restored.

Rebellion, uprising, or insurrection is a refusal of obedience or order. It refers to the open resistance against the orders of an established authority.
A rebellion originates from a sentiment of indignation and disapproval of a situation and then manifests itself by the refusal to submit or to obey the authority responsible for this situation. Rebellion can be individual or collective, Rebellion - Wikipedia

The talk of a coup here is ludicrous on its face. And a part of the fear mongering some choose to engage in. It stirs up emotion without reason, Perfect fuel for the idiots destroying other peoples properties.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's really something, isn't it? We actually had a coup attempt only half a year ago and now the same people are peddling the notion that the intended target of that coup attempt is plotting one against himself! And some folks are taking it seriously!!

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. Maybe not. But since none of that describes the situation in the US, you can and should just write these irresponsible news flashes off for what they are--more of the usual. Political rhetoric. Propaganda.

We've reached the stage now when nothing is too absurd for some politicians and their supporters to claim about their enemies. Nothing can be done about it, so long as they word it in just the right way...and they know that very well.
It's really something, isn't it? We actually had a coup attempt only half a year ago and now the same people are peddling the notion that the intended target of that coup attempt is plotting one against himself! And some folks are taking it seriously!!

I'm sorry, I have to agree -- impeachment is not a "coup" in any way, shape or form. It was wrong when Democrats claimed it when Clinton was President and it is equally wrong today to claim it about Trump.

More to the point, no Democrats -- at least that I've seen -- are claiming this is a coup. Instead, you are being told how this is being reported in Germany (not Trump "opponents," even if they may not care for Trump). Additionally, a German poster "connected the dots," comparing what happened in Chile a few decades ago and is comparing it to the events of today. More to the point, and maybe I missed it, I don't see where anyone on this forum believes the OP's idea. Perhaps we can lay off the hyperbole for once.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Impeachment is a legal means of dealing with a bad president, it cannot be called a rebellion.

It can if the reasons for the impeachment were fabricated.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
No, we did not.

Must be blissful to live in such a privileged and sheltered world where one would thing a function of Congress that has been in the US Constitution since its inception is a coup…

• Winner
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It can if the reasons for the impeachment were fabricated.
No, then it just gets thrown out of court.

It's not like any of the judges were bribed or anything.

They took forever to get a hearing. There was a hearing. Their request was denied.

This is part of how the system works.

It is rebellion when you go outside the established system to get what you want.

Upvote 0