Does Traditionis Custodes contradict the documents of Vatican II?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,567,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,220,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Pope Francis' restrictions on the traditional Mass, done in the name of 'unity,' appear to fly in the face of Vatican II, which taught that 'the variety within the Church in no way harms its unity; rather it manifests it.'

Continued below.
Does Traditionis Custodes contradict the documents of Vatican II?
I don't know about contradicting Vatican II but it is a semantic mess. Somebody didn't think it through before publication. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a historically impossible moto proprio on many fronts that a sane successor will have to quickly but quietly undo and obliterate.

The damage it will do to ecumenism is profound. Would the Orthodox be assured that if they join up with the Catholics that their rites would be safe. Would an Anglican seeking to enter the Ordinariate be assured that the usage of the Ordinariate wouldn't be abolished? Technically the Ordinariate is a group within the Latin Rite, of which the pope now says there is ONE SINGLE AND IDENTICAL prayer. Will those who follow the TLM even stay around when the SSPX becons? Whatsaguytothink?

I think this moto proprio is an unforced error on the part of pope Francis. On top of so many others.

There is one good thing about the papacy of pope Francis. It gives us plenty of study material for figuring out the limits to papal infallibility. Good and great popes don't do that, and we tend to think well of everything they do, even when we should be a bit more critical. Now it's easy to be critical.

Upvote 0