Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What you're referring to here doesn't relate to what we're talking about. Portland didn't file a lawsuit. They are banning travel, good and services from that state of Texas.

No, they aren't "banning travel, good [sic] and services from that [sic] state of Texas." What they're doing is stopping the city government from doing business with entities in Texas. This move doesn't prevent private citizens or private businesses from doing anything. If you own a steakhouse in Portland, you're perfectly free to buy your beef from Texas. If you, as an Oregonian, lose all sense of good taste and decide to vacation in Houston, nobody on the city council will stop you.

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It would have been more appropriate for that city council to place restrictions on the Texas government for placing Texas big business profits off their electrical grid while the residents of that state were freezing last winter.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,088.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That’s because one side is constantly clamoring about civil war. Maybe you haven’t noticed it but I’ve been hearing them say this stuff for years now.

Thankfully, they seem to be mostly all talk and no action. Most people these days don’t have what it takes to engage in armed conflict with their neighbors and friends. Thankfully.

"Constant clamour" is so obviously untrue.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's definitely not good, but the years leading up to the Civil War were a lot worse.
Good point.

Some modern Christians seem to think it's bad, or even persecution?, for instance if they can't make a local public school have a prayer over the PA system. (as if prayer depends on whether a school board or state institutes it, as if we don't just pray on our own whenever we wish...)

While actual persecution is stuff like being arrested for being Christian, or just being executed on the spot, like in North Korea sometimes.

The worst thing we have happening right now in America is an upsurge in gun violence that seems to me from reports about brain effects to be possibly linked to Covid. We are so vastly far from a real civil war situation at the moment though.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,088.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Good point.

Some modern Christians seem to think it's bad, or even persecution?, for instance if they can't make a local public school have a prayer over the PA system. (as if prayer depends on whether a school board or state institutes it, as if we don't just pray on our own whenever we wish...)

While actual persecution is stuff like being arrested for being Christian, or just being executed on the spot, like in North Korea sometimes.

The worst thing we have happening right now in America is an upsurge in gun violence that seems to me from reports about brain effects to be possibly linked to Covid. We are so vastly far from a real civil war situation at the moment though.

You SURE that's the worst thing, or that covid is a factor?

Re civil war though, you guys don't even need one to
collapse your country.

Just keep it up, everything you are doing.

There are,you know purposeful, organized and unified
people out past your shores. Even some who know
weakness and division, plus how to act on it.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

collapse your country.

I meant 'worst thing' in the merely ordinary sense of what is happening in America civilly in terms of our American society, but you indirectly raise a good point in just that 1 question already -- it's vastly worse to reject the Good than it is precisely how long you live in the temporary life. (consider living a long life full of choosing evil and the deep emptiness it causes -- it would be better to live less long but have a really good life for that shorter time)

For a nation to flourish:

A nation will do well to the extent people of a nation follow the proactive full form Golden Rule, as Christ said it in Matthew 7:12. (Of course, faith helps us greatly to do that.)
-------

About the side question on the effects of Covid on brain health and possible increase in violence, it's not yet broadly studied, but we already know there is some degree of Covid-induced psychosis (which can increase the urge to violence), and those more extreme reports of psychosis that get noticed and documented are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Early notice of the effect: Small Number of Covid Patients Develop Severe Psychotic Symptoms
Later overview from April of this year:
What is post-COVID-19 psychosis and who’s at risk?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,088.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I meant 'worst thing' in the merely ordinary sense of what is happening in America civilly in terms of our American society, but you indirectly raise a good point in just that 1 question already -- it's vastly worse to reject the Good than it is precisely how long you live in the temporary life. (consider living a long life full of choosing evil and the deep emptiness it causes -- it would be better to live less long but have a really good life for that shorter time)

For a nation to flourish:

A nation will do well to the extent people of a nation follow the proactive full form Golden Rule, as Christ said it in Matthew 7:12. (Of course, faith helps us greatly to do that.)
-------

About the side question on the effects of Covid on brain health and possible increase in violence, it's not yet broadly studied, but we already know there is some degree of Covid-induced psychosis (which can increase the urge to violence), and those more extreme reports of psychosis that get noticed and documented are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Early notice of the effect: Small Number of Covid Patients Develop Severe Psychotic Symptoms
Later overview from April of this year:
What is post-COVID-19 psychosis and who’s at risk?

The harm of gun related,crine let alone the hypothetical covid
tie cannot possibly the worst thing going on in America.

"Studies" are kinda suspect, ones related to psychology
especially.

The statement about " worst...covid" is such an exaggeration and so
dubious in the linkage that if that's the standard. Its to make all of trumps sayings true,

Whether the religion you obliquely refer to is what is really
important, we'll never mind.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,088.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You go ahead and ignore them. I’m keeping tabs on the ones pushing this rhetoric.

As I said to another poster, ifvsu h gross exaggeration is asatandard for what is real and true Trump never told a whopper.

" constantly clamoring" is not true, and we all know it.
Far far less does it apply to all consagreement.

The sidestep above is a sign of tacit sgreement
that it's an extreme exaggeration. .

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As I said to another poster, ifvsu h gross exaggeration is asatandard for what is real and true Trump never told a whopper.

" constantly clamoring" is not true, and we all know it.
Far far less does it apply to all consagreement.

The sidestep above is a sign of tacit sgreement
that it's an extreme exaggeration. .
Ok. Whatever you say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The statement about " worst...covid" is such an exaggeration and so
dubious in the linkage that if that's the standard. Its to make all of trumps sayings true,

I couldn't follow what you meant in that paragraph, but one thing is maybe this:

The worst thing we have happening right now in America is an upsurge in gun violence that seems to me from reports about brain effects to be possibly linked to Covid.

This is far from the only bad thing happening, but what do you think is worse than the significant upswing in shootings in big cities that has happened since mid 2020, when Covid effects (which concentrates in cities first, densely populated areas first) have been happening?
Though it's still far below the 1990s peak, it's still a big increase:
US crime: Is America seeing a surge in violence?
(and that's an article trying paint it in perspective to say it's less than the 90s, but it's a notable increase since Covid....)

But what do you think is worse in the last few months than that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Let's be real. Both the Portland City Council, and Ken Paxton's (the Texas AG) actions are publicity stunts. They're tossing some red meat to their political bases. But Portland is voluntarily boycotting businesses in a state who's politics they believe most of their citizens despise. What Paxton did is 1000 times worse. He tired to subvert the federal court system. By making the preposterous claim--completely unsupported by evidence--that his state was damaged by the election procedures of 4 other states. That would be like me suing some neighbors down the street because I think their choice of paint colors on their houses hurts my property value. What AG Paxton did was a totally frivolous abuse of the courts for political gain. And if the man truly thought he had a valid legal case, then he's a dunce.

This thread isn't even about election results, but rather a pro-life law which the SCOTUS has upheld.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You're the one deflecting. I pointed to things that should be seen as evidence of a desire to start a civil war, to counter your lack of evidence. No reasonable person should equate a travel ban with a desire to start a civil war. Now, if you have evidence that people in Portland are actually saying they want to start a civil war, then you'd have something.

Do you?

Yes. The attempt to pass a law banning business and travel based on location in another part of the same country.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

collapse your country.

Our federal government is even labeling our own Constitution as being "harmful". National Archives Slaps 'Harmful Content' Warning On Constitution

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,088.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our federal government claims that the Constitution contains harmful language that reflects attitudes and biases of its time.

Are you claiming it does not?

Policy of the day called for bombing Germany! What a Attitude!

Better label history as harmful.

Better do it with everything today, what isn't
clearly harmful yet will be seen as soon enough.

You Americans may not even have your
country long enough to even get to that point.

ETA Not just label it, but falsify it to fit the
narrative. See "3/5 compromise".
There is enough of error and malice in America
and it's history, it's so wrong to misrepresent,
falsify any of it, especially something that'
was done for the good made to look evil.

That's not how to form a more perfect union.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Policy of the day called for bombing Germany! What a Attitude!

Better label history as harmful.

Better do it with everything today, what isn't
clearly harmful yet will be seen as soon enough.

You Americans may not even have your
country long enough to even get to that point.

As an American, I agree wholeheartedly. Problem is, it's not just some groups of people doing this. It's being orchestrated within our leadership, which means we're being destroyed from within.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As an American, I agree wholeheartedly. Problem is, it's not just some groups of people doing this. It's being orchestrated within our leadership, which means we're being destroyed from within.
Acknowledging past mistakes is the path towards progress, not destruction.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Acknowledging past mistakes is the path towards progress, not destruction.

Securing our national borders was not a past mistake. Withdrawing American troops in a haphazard way from Afghanistan that cost hundreds of lives and abandoned hundreds of Americans to the Taliban certainly was.

Upvote 0