1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Does this really work? What's the buzz? Teens can't stand it.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Johnboy60, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Johnboy60

Johnboy60 Looking For Interesting News.

+2,959
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    BARRY, Wales--Though he did not know it at the time, the idea came to Howard Stapleton when he was 12 and visiting a factory with his father, a manufacturing executive in London.

Opening the door to a room where workers were using high-frequency welding equipment, he found he could not bear to go inside.

"The noise!" he complained.

"What noise?" the grownups asked.

Now 39, Stapleton has taken the lesson he learned that day--that children can hear sounds at higher frequencies than adults can--to fashion a novel device that he hopes will provide a solution to the eternal problem of obstreperous teenagers who hang around outside stores and cause trouble.

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+buzz+...3-5974937.html?part=rss&tag=5974937&subj=news

2. Megachihuahua

Megachihuahua Ex-Christian

+62
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    That's mean.

3. QuietTempest

QuietTempest Member

+4
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Brilliant! LOL "Like anti-teenager spray".

:p I'm still fairly young, but if this would help keep kids from loitering in areas they have no business in, I'm all for it.

4. BrownCoat

BrownCoat Guest

+0
    I am not a teenager any more. :cool:

5. Helo

Helo Guest

+0
    Bad bad bad idea. You start sticking those things in and I PROMISE you theyre going to get broken.

When I was in jr high, we had a problem with backpacks being stolen out of the locker-room so what was thier deterrent? They stuck cameras in there. Two days went by and there was gum over the lens of both cameras. A week, they were fishing both cameras out of the school toilets.

Besides, id be nervous to put this in a public place because of animals, people with hearing aides and such.

Best way to ensure loiterers wont cause problems is to be nice, you treat people like criminals thats what they'll act like it. Give people a hard time and they'll give you a hard time.

The shops around here that have a problem with shoplifting and vandalism are the ones that treat teenagers like mini-criminals, the shops that are tolerant towards teenagers and people hanging around are the ones that dont have problems.

6. horuhe00

horuhe00 Contributor

+186
    Puerto Rico
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I know of a few places where that should be installed. For starters, the Seven Eleven close to home where the 11-17 year olds go to drink and smoke. I've seen 13 year old girls drinking straight from a huge bottle of I don't know what.

7. trunks2k

trunks2k Contributor

+3,415
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    I can hear really high pitched noise and I'm 22. I'm one of those people that can tell if a TV is on even if it's muted and I'm two rooms away. I've gotten up many times in the middle of dinner to turn off the TV that everyone else thought was off.

The funniest thing was a couple years ago. My parents bought this thing that emits a very high pitched noise that's supposed to scare animals away. They stuck it in the garden to keep deer and such from eating the veggies. I couldn't work in the garden. After 5 minutes, the noise would drive me bonkers. My parents thought I was insane.

8. horuhe00

horuhe00 Contributor

+186
    Puerto Rico
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Haha me too :)

9. butterfoot

butterfoot Formerly Known as cameronw

+302
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think this is brilliant.

10. LouTheWicked

LouTheWicked Guest

+0
    I hate loud noises as well, like when I go into a disco and the music's booming away I feel quite repelled.

11. Scally Cap

Scally Cap GO IRISH!!!

+99
    Other Religion
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm ancient and decrepit at 38 and can't hear half of the conversations I'm involved in, but high-pitched sound cuts through my head as effectively as ever (including stuff most of my family is oblivious to). A house I walk my dogs past a few blocks away has one of those ultrasonic mosquito-repellers going all the time. If I lived next door to that I'd have to rip it out. Drives me nuts.

What happened to the maybe decade-old trend of playing Muzak to discourage loitering teens? Did the fad for all things retro and "ironic" do that in?

12. Helo

Helo Guest

+0
    Ugh, same here. Ive discovered that monitors make this high pitched shirek in the first few seconds after theyre turned after being off for about 12+ hours, HIGHLY irritating.

13. LegacyOfLove

LegacyOfLove Senior Veteran

+189
    Christian
    Married
    That would definately drive out anyone who was sensitive to high-frequency sounds - not just teens. It may seem inventive, but there have to be better alternatives.

14. Illuminatus

Illuminatus Draft the chickenhawks

+348
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm glad they have such respect for the blind and their seeing-eye dogs.

15. fragmentsofdreams

fragmentsofdreams Critical loyalist

+410
    Catholic
    What if they want to buy something?

16. cwolf20

cwolf20 Huggee Of haL

+21
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    personally, if I were that age and it happened to me... Nothing would possess me to buy something from that store even if it was many years down the road after it happened. And if he keeps it up, he won't have very many potential customers.

17. QuietTempest

QuietTempest Member

+4
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Hm... after giving it more thought and listening to more opinions, I agree with the rest. It's not the best approach. I can hear the high pitched buzz of a tv from other rooms, too. It gets fairly annoying at times.

I'm sure there are better ways to keep teens from loitering on your property.

18. MoonlessNight

MoonlessNight Fides et Ratio

+3,465
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only person who can hear those things.

19. just_dance

just_dance Nothing But The Blood

+37
    Pentecostal
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    True I know this one guy who can't hear very good I have to speek twice as loud when I'm around him because he dose concert lighting, but what about the other teens that blew their eardrums will they be able to hear it?

20. BOJAX

BOJAX Vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

+85
    Christian
    Single
    CA-Greens
    they tried to resolve a loitering problem at a subway station here.
    What did they use?
    Classical Music.

didn't work either

I myself enjoyed it.