Does this really mean we die sooner if we sin?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have always been uneasy with sin, I have been hearing too many testimonies from people who claim the Holy Spirit departed from them, that they became stuck in sin and unregenerated and distanced themselves from God.

Sin does us no good, all it causes is bad things. But I was curious does this verse mean God will have us physically die so our souls may be saved?

1 Corinthians 5
3Although I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit, and I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are gathered in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, along with the power of the Lord Jesus, 5hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.a

This Verse always keeps me on guard.

Last edited:

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have seen terrible things when people sin unrepentantly. Take for example Alcoholism drunkenness, they get deeper and deeper and don't want to give it up, then their life goes upside down.

This is just an extreme example, but even small sins can turn into something HUGE.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen terrible things when people sin unrepentantly. Take for example Alcoholism drunkenness, they get deeper and deeper and don't want to give it up, then their life goes upside down.

This is just an extreme example, but even small sins can turn into something HUGE.

And yet:

The defendants were Nuon Chea, 90, the ideologue sometimes known as Brother No. 2 who was second-in-command to the Khmer Rouge’s leader, Pol Pot; and Khieu Samphan, 85, the urbane, Paris-educated intellectual who served as the nominal head of state.

Ninety and 85--nice old ages--for two men who slaughtered 1.7 million people. Bloody dictators guilty of hundreds of thousands and even millions of death still die old men in bed as often as not.

In my futile life I have seen both of these: A righteous man perishing in his righteousness, and a wicked man living long in his wickedness. -- Ecclesiastes 7

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I have always been uneasy with sin, I have been hearing too many testimonies from people who claim the Holy Spirit departed from them, that they became stuck in sin and unregenerated and distanced themselves from God.

Sin does us no good, all it causes is bad things. But I was curious does this verse mean God will have us physically die so our souls may be saved?

1 Corinthians 5
3Although I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit, and I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are gathered in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, along with the power of the Lord Jesus, 5hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.a

This Verse always keeps me on guard.

"
Only the Good Die Young
Billy Joel
Come out Virginia don't let me wait
Catholic girls start much too late
But sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one

Well they showed you a statue and told you to pray
They built you a temple and locked you away
But they never told you the price you would pay
For things that you might have done

Only the good die young [Repeat: x 4]"

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes people die sooner because they are ready for their judgement or it suits them and/or others best for them to be taken then.

Sometimes God lets sinners live long and gives them opportunity to repent.

Sometimes God knows a person will not repent and takes them before they multiply their transgressions, as an expression of His mercy.

Bottom line is - we do not know the whole counsel of God. And we cannot control our time here on earth by extending our lives against His will.

But ... sin damages us. We should always seek to repent, to flee sin, to be healed from the effects of sin by God. That much we can control - our disposition in these matters. Or at least have a good desire and pray to God for help.

Upvote 0