✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
If it's your web browser - you want it
If it's your antivirus - you want it
If it's your operating system - you want it
If it's random software you don't use - you don't want it, uninstall the software (or disable it and periodically update)

Yes, Windows, antivirus, phones, etc. update a lot, but usually it's security updates. You definitely don't want to be without.

Usually you can tell what it is though. If it's a Windows alert saying "You need to reboot" you can go into your settings and see what it's just installed. Usually it's a security update.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I use Linux a system on my desktop and laptop. Whenever I get updates, it informs me in my software manager which updates are to be installed and I can decide whether or not to install them. Using the terminal, I have much more control and can even downgrade packages to previous versions.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
If it's your web browser - you want it
If it's your antivirus - you want it

I already have an antivirus and I keep getting scams that it's expired. I know it's a scam when it's not the same one that I use.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I already have an antivirus and I keep getting scams that it's expired. I know it's a scam when it's not the same one that I use.

If you're getting that through Chrome, you've probably got some dodgy notifications enabled. If you paste this link into your address bar, you can disable anything that looks dodgy (or everything):
chrome://settings/content/notifications

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
If you're getting that through Chrome, you've probably got some dodgy notifications enabled. If you paste this link into your address bar, you can disable anything that looks dodgy (or everything):
chrome://settings/content/notifications

Sorry, no offense or anything but I would rather just ignore them. I don't want to mess around with anything that I'm not sure of for fear that I might wind up making things worse.

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems like all computers do automatic updates now and they never tell me what they're updating and a lot of,.. scratch that most of the time it uploads things that I don't want. It's so annoying. :rolleyes:

One reason I don't use Windows, I use Linux :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No matter what versions .. I am going to guess "windows" you can turn off or set the updates for later and then keep pushing them back as far as you want. Never get updates. If you search you can sites that brake down every update there is coming in and tells you what each one is.

• Useful
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well for security reasons automatic updates are good,.. but other stuff they're just forcing on me and yes for the record I use Chrome and AVG.

Not really. Many automatic updates just recently made the computers worse then they were before the updates. I even saw that some updates that were automatic made people's computer into a paperweight. :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's your answer: MX Linux – Midweight Simple Stable Desktop OS.

There is a bit of learning curve to Linux, but distributions like the one above make it as smooth as possible, and you can learn as you go. The forum is very helpful. This distribution looks and functions much like Windows. (Most people live in the browser anyway). You can install it as a dual-boot, keeping your Windows install intact as you test Linux out.

It comes down to freedom and self-respect. Linux is built by people who love privacy and security as much as we do, not by people trying to make maximum bucks off of us. And most people who surf responsibly will not need an antivirus, which frees up 15% of resources, minimum, making for a more powerful computing experience on the same machine.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Not really. Many automatic updates just recently made the computers worse then they were before the updates. I even saw that some updates that were automatic made people's computer into a paperweight. :eek:

Meaning what exactly?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's your answer: MX Linux – Midweight Simple Stable Desktop OS.

There is a bit of learning curve to Linux, but distributions like the one above make it as smooth as possible, and you can learn as you go. The forum is very helpful. This distribution looks and functions much like Windows. (Most people live in the browser anyway). You can install it as a dual-boot, keeping your Windows install intact as you test Linux out.

It comes down to freedom and self-respect. Linux is built by people who love privacy and security as much as we do, not by people trying to make maximum bucks off of us. And most people who surf responsibly will not need an antivirus, which frees up 15% of resources, minimum, making for a more powerful computing experience on the same machine.

Another good one that for people that are used to windows in Zorin OS:

Zorin-OS-Linux-with-Windows-10-like-interface.jpg

and another good one Makulu Linux

mak3.jpg

I wish more people would like the non secure windows and use Linux, it really is not that difficult. My wife started using Linux without any help from me and can't stand Windows :)

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My wife started using Linux without any help from me and can't stand Windows
I've had only one person revert to Windows. One really didn't even know the difference, since she lived in the browser. I converted a laptop for a guy recently, he had never seen Linux in action but he hated Win10. He absolutely loves Linux now.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0