does the soul have a gender?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
By gender, I obviously dont mean gender in a biological sense, since the soul is immaterial, but I mean gender as in, the traits and character associated with males and females (not exactly masculine and feminine-but more similar to how male and females have different identities). Do men and women have different souls?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Youre misinterpreting what i meant in the OP. I didnt mean gender as in biological sex.

Do you mean gender as in masculine and feminine then?, could you elaborate or explain further?

It is my opinion, that, yes, "souls" do have gender, but the soul is not what goes into the afterlife, the soul is in our blood and goes to the ground when we die and no longer exists after that...

The "Spirit" on the other hand is probably what you should be asking yourself whether or not has gender.

Paul says (crap, can't find it right now) but Paul says that we become "like angels in heaven" that are "neither male nor female"

And Jesus says in Matthew 22:30 that "in the resurrection neither do men marry, nor are women given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven"

Which seems (could indicate) multiple things, since they don't marry, they are complete in themselves and are not like Adam after Eve was taken as a piece (part) of him, without which, (after she was taken from him), without which, afterward, Adam was incomplete without her, because she was taken from a part of him, which, afterward, he lacked and had a longing for the missing part of him, the woman (Eve) that he felt he needed to be complete...

So, I'm not going to try and answer your question as to whether or not the Spirit (that continues on after death), within us, has gender or not, because I honestly just don't know...? But, Paul clearly says that we are either genderless or both male and female (masculine and feminine) in one body if we are to become angels in heaven...

Jesus seems to indicate since there is no need for marriage, that they (the angels) are complete in and of themselves, which could indicate both genders or neither...

Hope that helps,

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It says in scripture somewhere, (I knowth not, God knowth) that after our resurrection our body will be the same as Jesus' body was when He was resurrected. Thomas handled Him, put his hand into His side. After Jesus was made known to the disciples they recognized Him whenever He appeared. We will also be recognized. And yes we will be in spirit form as Jesus is spirit, as God is spirit, as the angles are spirit.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1 Cor 15:35-49 talks about how in this life, we have our physical bodies, and at the resurrection, we will have spiritual ones. Who is to say that the soul in this life will be the same at the resurrection? If our bodies will change, why not our souls? In fact, we are already changing our souls as we become more obedient to Christ.

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe souls do have genders, and here's why. Our soul is our personality, our thoughts, the way we view the world, our life experience etc. The soul is what makes you you. It's what makes you think like you do and act like you do etc. And since our soul was shaped by our experience here on earth as a person with a gender, that will remain a part of our identity, our soul after we die. Our personality won't change after we die, except we'll lose the bad habits, but our core personality and memories will remain and all of that is wrapped up in and developed in a body with a gender since birth. So yes I think our souls will still have genders, like a footprint that a gender left on our soul. The foot is not still there but the footprint is, the gender is not still there physically but the footprint is still there on our soul. That's what I think. :):angel:

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You'd have to begin by defining the differences between men (or masculine) and women (or feminine) and in today's society and culture that's really hard to do, as those lines have been blurred...?

God Bless!

LOL Men and women do think differently and view the world differently, one is not better than the other, we just think differently. :) How we think and see the world is developed in a body born with a gender and that became a part of our personality, our soul, and that will remain a part of our soul/personality like a footprint left behind by a body that used to have a gender when we were alive. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Sam,

I lean toward the soul not actually having a gender. Scripturally, this is based on verses like there "being neither male nor female in Jesus", and people "being like angels" in the Resurrection. While such passages don't explicitly say the gender has no soul, I think the implications of such passages could support that conclusion.

On a strictly intellectual level, the soul is the aspect of the spirit which is separate to the body. That suggests to me that it's not affected by factors like how much estrogen or testosterone one has physically.

Ultimately, the answer is not too significant to me, as there's still neither male nor female in Jesus. But those are my thoughts on the question for what they're worth.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
LOL Men and women do think differently and view the world differently, one is not better than the other, we just think differently. :) How we think and see the world is developed in a body born with a gender and that became a part of our personality, our soul, and that will remain a part of our soul/personality like a footprint left behind by a body that used to have a gender when we were alive. :)

But, what are some of the differences between men and women?

You say there ARE differences between men and women, but fail to list any, could you state some for us?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

You say there ARE differences between men and women, but fail to list any, could you state some for us?

God Bless!

LOL Okay I can't think of any at this moment. :)

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God Bless!

All this is generally speaking. There are always exceptions.

Women communicate to share emotion. Men communicate to share information.

Women score lower in competing across all levels of employment with regards to conflict resolution. Both sexes tend to score about the same in the other four modes of conflict resolution.

Women describe problems to share them and seek fellowship in the problem. Men describe problems to fix them. (women want to fix them too, but only after a period of sharing)

Put two women in a room with two chairs and they will tend to put the chairs front to front so they can talk. Men will put them in any other configuration except front to front so they can talk.

Women tend to carry things in both arms near the chest, while men tend to carry things low or at the side and keeping one arm free if possible.

These are just a few that I've learned in my management classes over the last year. There are plenty of behaviors that are quite different by gender. There are always exceptions.

Upvote 0